Need info on keyless deadbolts

This is a discussion on Need info on keyless deadbolts within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to swap out my current deadbolt for something keyless, and I'd like to know what other folks think about these. I know there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info on keyless deadbolts

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Need info on keyless deadbolts

I want to swap out my current deadbolt for something keyless, and I'd like to know what other folks think about these. I know there are mechanical combos, electronic combos, and even RFID/prox versions. I am leaning towards a combination style.

Do folks feel these are as secure as standard deadbolts? What brands and models do you have experience with?

Lastly, I really want one that has an internal key lock as opposed to a simple toggle. Yes, I know the reasons for not key-locking an interior lock, but there is a small sidelight window next to my front door, and I don't want a deadbolt that can be defeated by somebody simply punching through the glass.

Thanks for your help!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Well there are several things to consider. If you go electronic you have to worry about batteries probably. I've personally never seen a combination-style lock with a deadbolt before. That might be viable, but I don't know how much I'd like it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    I have a Schlage keypad entry deadbolt. The keypad activates the tumblers only so you still have to turn the handle to lock/unlock the doors. It has a key backup thats resistant to bumping and picking due to the fact that the needs to be pressed in while turned. The outside handle just spins around unless activated by the keypad.

For the small sidelight, get the laminate that you can put over glass that makes it impossible to break though.

I have a friend who is a locksmith and is always doing lockout on the Schlage lock above. There is a keypad lock made by Abloy that is expensive but a great lock somewhere in the $1300.00 range.

EBC
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I have a Schlage keypad entry deadbolt. The keypad activates the tumblers only so you still have to turn the handle to lock/unlock the doors. It has a key backup thats resistant to bumping and picking due to the fact that the needs to be pressed in while turned. The outside handle just spins around unless activated by the keypad.

For the small sidelight, get the laminate that you can put over glass that makes it impossible to break though.

My sister as this same lock on her doors and the window laminate the guys the installed it for her showed her how well the laminate worked on a full size piece of glass that I hit with a 20 Lbs. hammer 40 times or so and could not break it. The guy next door heard the noise and could not believe that the window would not break so he took a few more swings at it. (Now he has it on all his windows also.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I have a friend who is a locksmith and is always doing lockout on the Schlage lock above. There is a keypad lock made by Abloy that is expensive but a great lock somewhere in the $1300.00 range.
    I've had it a long time with no problems. I'd love to hear what the issues are.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    My sister as this same lock on her doors and the window laminate the guys the installed it for her showed her how well the laminate worked on a full size piece of glass that I hit with a 20 Lbs. hammer 40 times or so and could not break it. The guy next door heard the noise and could not believe that the window would not break so he took a few more swings at it. (Now he has it on all his windows also.
    It's certainly impressive stuff.

Thanks, guys.

What's the brand on the window laminate? Is it something I could buy locally or would I need to order it?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Hmmm, now that I do a little reading on the Schlage lock (I've looked at it before, but the interior toggle turned me off), I am intrigued by Z-Wave. I've wanted some automation components at home, but the powerline based ones just don't work for me with the wiring in my house, apparently.

If I may hijack my own thread, anybody use Z-Wave automation?

VIP Member
    We are running locks very similar to this one: http://www.mul-t-lockusa.com/res/Eng...20Locks/m8.pdf
    Five horizontal pins and two vertical (one top and one bottom), and an exceptionally pick and drill resistant cylinder. They aren't cheap (and, well, they're not keyless, though Mul-T-Lock makes top quality keyless systems as well), but I've never seen a more secure residential lock.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Thanks, guys.

What's the brand on the window laminate? Is it something I could buy locally or would I need to order it?
    Google "security laminate"

I've only seen the ones professionally installed (ACE) but there do seem to be a lot of DIY kits available now.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Hmmm, now that I do a little reading on the Schlage lock (I've looked at it before, but the interior toggle turned me off), I am intrigued by Z-Wave. I've wanted some automation components at home, but the powerline based ones just don't work for me with the wiring in my house, apparently.

If I may hijack my own thread, anybody use Z-Wave automation?

As long as you have neutrals (white wire) in all your boxes then you can run Insteon stuff. Sorry, no experience with Z-Wave.

Distinguished Member
    Well since this is a gun forum, apparently the ACE laminate is bullet resistant as well. Crazy.

YouTube - ACE vs 3M Ballistics

YouTube - ACE | MP5 Ballistics Demo

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I've had it a long time with no problems. I'd love to hear what the issues are.
    It is funny that this thread showed up. I was in his shop on the 5th. My son like myself loves keys and locks and safes. I have taught him more than he should know for a 9 years old BOY. He wants me to get a touch pad.

My friend said the Schlage has a solenoid that goes bad and can not pull the plunger back to open the lock. Maybe it is a NY thing.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    It is funny that this thread showed up. I was in his shop on the 5th. My son like myself loves keys and locks and safes. I have taught him more than he should know for a 9 years old BOY. He wants me to get a touch pad.

My friend said the Schlage has a solenoid that goes bad and can not pull the plunger back to open the lock. Maybe it is a NY thing.

Oh, interesting, good to know, thanks. As long as the key backup still works. Did he say how good Schlage is about replacing them?

I went with this one after looking at some of the motorized ones. They were so slow and could barely pull the bolt back and just seemed really cheap. I liked this because when you turn the handle you know you have a positive "lock."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links