Friend has firearm stolen in burglary. Learn from his mistake. - Page 2

Friend has firearm stolen in burglary. Learn from his mistake.

This is a discussion on Friend has firearm stolen in burglary. Learn from his mistake. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A similar topic came up recently. I email my info (pics, make/model, serial number, scanned copy of receipt) to myself on my gmail account. Everything ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A similar topic came up recently. I email my info (pics, make/model, serial number, scanned copy of receipt) to myself on my gmail account. Everything is captured in Google's "cloud" and won't be burned, flooded, etc.

We've had this concern as well, not just for firearms but all valuables. The answer is to get any excess firearms / valuables OUT of the home and secure them elsewhere. I'll be purposely vague on that point. Any kept in the home should be in a good quality safe. CCW kept with you away from the home. IMHO its next to impossible to hide them from a potential burglar.People have always taken home security lightly, as this economy worsens crime will rise. If ya can't secure it, it won't be yours for long...

More proof that a "good" neighborhood is not protection. I am pretty stunned when I hear that people think that is a defense. If you live in a "good neighborhood," that only means you have nicer stuff to steal, and criminals know that well. I know some really ratty neighborhoods that you would never go to to buy property (unless you think crack houses are a wise investment) with a lot fewer burglaries and thefts than the "nice" neighborhoods.
    Don't you go hunting where there are biggest bucks? Fishing where the fish are?
    What Would Gumby Do?

A friend of mine keeps his serial numbers written on one of the back pages of his BIBLE. He figures no crook is going to steal that.

For me, I use the MiGuns application for my iphone. Password protected and I always have it with me. Stores detailed information and you just take the photo with the phone.

In NY your pistol's serial number, make/model and caliber are all listed on the pack of your CC permit..... so NY already has everything on file.....

Still good to keep your own records JIC you lose something.

Wall Safe

I'm considering installing a wall safe in my bedroom that looks like a fuse panel box. Has anyone done this? Any downsides in your opinion about having the wall safe in the bedroom for quick access to response to 'bumps in the night'?

Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    I'm considering installing a wall safe in my bedroom that looks like a fuse panel box. Has anyone done this? Any downsides in your opinion about having the wall safe in the bedroom for quick access to response to 'bumps in the night'?

Welcome

I think I know the safe you mean. Looks like a "high voltage" box or something? I think if you put it in a closet or utility room it would work. If you put it out in the room where no homeowner would want a fusebox to keep it convenient it would be obvious. Kind of like the so-called "stash safes" made out of coke cans or hairspray cans and such. Most of the security is in the camoflage. I recall the story of the drugs found in a house in a Quaker State motor oil stash safe because it was sitting on the dining room table.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

EAJ
    Sorry to hear of your situation. A similar situation occurred to us several years ago. They broke in through the sliding glass door. Door was locked and dowel was in track, however with many of these doors they can easily be lifted out of their tracks. Thief took jewelry and old .22 cal Luger which was secured with a safety lock in a drawer. Fortunately, I had the serial number and original bill of sale, but regrettably the pistol was never recovered. The most likely suspect(s) was someone who probably lived in the neighborhood and knew when we were in or out.

Precautions we’ve taken since have been to secure all firearms in the safe when were out. Install security system, motion sensitive outside lighting, and screw several large screws into the header above the door to prevent it from being lifted out of the track. We also make it a habit to periodically drop by the house during the day at different times so that our schedules appear less predictable.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    I've done a search and found nothing about these. Do you have a manufacturer or website?
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links