Friend has firearm stolen in burglary. Learn from his mistake.

This is a discussion on Friend has firearm stolen in burglary. Learn from his mistake. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A paramedic on another shift told me he had a break in over the 4th of July weekend. While he was watching the fireworks in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A paramedic on another shift told me he had a break in over the 4th of July weekend. While he was watching the fireworks in town his and another house were broken into. He lost some jewelry and a handgun, but the thieves left his rifles alone. Entry was made by prying open a sliding glass door at the back of the home, and according to him it had a piece of wood in the track and was locked.

The worst part is that he has no record of the serial number of his pistol. He bought it many years ago in a private sale in another state. The PD took a report but it has only the general description of the gun. Make, model, type of grips, and condition. And yes, he lives in a "good neighborhood".

Please, if you don't already have records, go make them now. Stop browsing DC and go do it! You can download a free record sheet from the ATF site, you can take pics, write in a notebook, or any one of many options. Some people burn records and pics on CDs in multiple places, some simply make a list on paper, but do SOMETHING and do it NOW!

I imagine we all know what he did wrong, no need to beat itto death after the fact, but I feel bad for him and want to get the message out. Each one teach one, right?
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; July 8th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I'm guessing his handgun also wasn't in any type of a safe either.

Link to ATF sheet?
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Link to ATF sheet?
    Working on my phone out of the office but it's on the ATF dot gov site as a download form called personal firearms record IIRC. It's just the FFL bound book form with a different title.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Just take a digital photo of every weapon you have then use ms paint or some other imaging editing program to put text on the photo including: make, model, sn.

then leave a copy on your HD, burn a couple copies to CD and leave one with a family member or friend at another location and put another in a safe deposit box or safe.

Done.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Just take a digital photo ... then leave a copy on your HD, burn a couple copies to CD and leave one ...
    And, once all the digital master and copy are complete, be sure to create a HARD copy. Print out a couple copies, then store in two different places just like the digital. It's a simple overlap that provides a measure of redundancy. In case of digital failure or unrecoverability, it becomes the last insurance step for which there is no good alternative.

That being said, in some states it's your legal responsibility to document your firearms. As well, it is likely to be your legal responsibility to quickly report loss or theft. Doing that can be hard, without the records.

What I've done: A CD with the digital copy and a printout of it, in each of two places.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just take a digital photo of every weapon you have then use ms paint or some other imaging editing program to put text on the photo including: make, model, sn.

then leave a copy on your HD, burn a couple copies to CD and leave one with a family member or friend at another location and put another in a safe deposit box or safe.

Done.

This is exactly what I did. Plus I have hard copies and a copy of the hand written notes I used kept in a safe place.

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thank you. Why haven't I done this.

VIP Member
    I had two guns stolen in a burglary many moons ago. I had good written records, but this was before the advent of digital cameras and redundant digital storage systems...

Long story short, the Police recovered one of them a few months later. They failed to notify me of this. I only found out a YEAR later when they sent me a form asking me to review and update the info on everything that had been stolen, and I noticed a little "recovered" tag next to my Winchester 1300. Because I had good records, I went down to the SD and demanded my property back - after an hour or so of arguing with various folks, I walked out with my shotgun...

Keep records, in one form or another - there's absolutely no excuse not to.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

ATF Form:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-3312-8.pdf

Ans OPFOR is lucky. I have dealt with a couple of guns that were destroyed by abuse or neglect in PD evidence rooms. You do not want your gun there.

NRA Certifed Instructor

All my receipts are filed (but no pics...that's a good idea). I also should make a second copy of my serial #'s.
    Most importantly, I have two safes and nosey neighbors.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    ATF Form:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-3312-8.pdf

Ans OPFOR is lucky. I have dealt with a couple of guns that were destroyed by abuse or neglect in PD evidence rooms. You do not want your gun there.
    Yeah... Had they not sent me that "routine" form, I would never have known that they recovered my shotty. I was pretty POed, but I guess the (further) lesson here is to check back with the PD every once in a while. It seems at least some of them are in no hurry to give firearms back, even to their lawful owners.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Done.

Yeah man, did this long ago. Plus, I have a couple of USB thumb drives that I regularly backup all my files to (using Microsoft SyncToy - a great backup tool!). And I always keep one USB drive stored off-premises.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Have pictures, serial numbers, models etc in a PDF document on my computer, another copy on a USB memory stick, and a printed copy in the safe.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Wisdom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links