I don't know HOW she does it!!!

This is a discussion on I don't know HOW she does it!!! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning I had a visit from a neighbor that I'm having "trouble" with. He walked to my house so no car to hear, walked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know HOW she does it!!!

I don't know HOW she does it!!!

This morning I had a visit from a neighbor that I'm having "trouble" with. He walked to my house so no car to hear, walked through my driveway and up near my back porch.
    My bestest friend Dusti my Chow mix was inside the house, in her crate, as I was sleeping.
    I don't know how she knew, but she let me know he was there!! I don't know HOW she does it, but she is the BEST at what she does!

I wish there was some way to really make her understand just how awesome she is! I never said that nobody could come in my house, but I always say they won't be able to sneak up on me as long as I have my fur-girl!!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

I suspec that it has to do with a nose that is hundreds to thousands of times more sensitive than humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I suspec that it has to do with a nose that is hundreds to thousands of times more sensitive than humans.
    Entirely possible. Scent work has always been her strong point.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My last dog knew what my car sounded like. Stranger still, he knew what my walk sounded like! He would go nuts barking if a stranger came to the door. If it was me, he would be there wagging his tail. My wife knew I was home by how the dog reacted. I would love to get a good dog, just not sure how to fit it into our lifestyle right now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Dogs don't think like we do, but they trust their instincts completely. They do become accustomed to your car engine, your foot steps, and the sound of your voice.
    They can hear things that are way out of range for humans and they are very light sleepers.
    I can walk by my sleeping canine pal and she just lays there...she does see me. If I want her to move, I just need to open the top of a box of crackers...she's there before I open the wrapper.

Dogs are the best home alarms...some are better than others...some will defend the home turf with violence, others will lead the intruder to the snack closet.

Rewards? Love em' to death, and give them lots of attention.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Ears too!
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My dogs know when I or my wife are coming home 3 minutes before we pull in to the drive.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I have 3 dogs. Sometimes, when 2 are in the backyard with the windows closed, I'll try to sneak a table scrap to the dog inside. No matter how quietly I do it, and how quietly it is received, within seconds the other 2 will be scratching the back door to come in for their share. No idea how they do it.

And happily, our Aussie likes to sleep with my daughter. The Border Collie likes to sleep under my bed. And the GS/Lab likes to patrol the entire house at night & sleep in the day. I'm not worried about an intruder getting into our house unnoticed.

That's a lot of snow for Arizona...isn't it?

Dogs are great... I wouldn't be without one or two.

I like hounds! Presently I have a Basset and a Coon Hound, but I've had other breeds too.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

So what was your neighbor doing in your yard,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    That's a lot of snow for Arizona...isn't it?
    That was last winter, and it WAS a lot of snow - for us! The dogs loved it. The horses did not.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Dogs don't think like we do, but they trust their instincts completely. They do become accustomed to your car engine, your foot steps, and the sound of your voice.
    They can hear things that are way out of range for humans and they are very light sleepers.
    I can walk by my sleeping canine pal and she just lays there...she does see me. If I want her to move, I just need to open the top of a box of crackers...she's there before I open the wrapper.

Dogs are the best home alarms...some are better than others...some will defend the home turf with violence, others will lead the intruder to the snack closet.

Rewards? Love em' to death, and give them lots of attention.

Sarge (The big yellow galoot) will lead anyone to the treat box. Miss Scarlet lets us know if anyone comes near our property, any time of day or night. We've never been "surprised" on our own property. We love em both to death and they're spoiled rotten.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I don't know HOW she does it, but she is the BEST at what she does!
    Protecting a territory is built-in. She knows what her territory is by virtue of what you protect as your territory. She just uses that as the guideline. And, as others have said, her nose and ears are tuned to a completely different world.

Had a mutt back when I was growing up. He wouldn't sense general movement, but he would go bonkers over "stealthy" movement from anyone/anything. He could tell the difference. So, mice, rats, moles and other dogs/cats would catch his attention, as well as people playing being stealthy, as well as anyone without good things in mind (which he caught a couple of times). Pretty amazing. As a kid, it was fun to see that a dog could be so good at doing that. He was a perfectly ordinary mutt, but he was extraordinary in keeping his territory free from threats.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

AzB
    I had a chow mix when I was a teenager, young adult. That dog was smarter than some of my friends. Not only could she tell which car was mine by sound or sight, she recognized where she was even if she had only been there once years before. She was also extremely watchful and very protective.

She looked a bit like yours.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links