Am I worrying too much?

This is a discussion on Am I worrying too much? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Below says it all!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I worrying too much?

Below says it all!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

Many alarm systems have cell phone capability for when the land line is cut, and battery backup in case of power failure. Unless your business is in a location where there would be good, reliable witnesses at all hours of the night, the outside speaker is pretty useless anyway. I wouldn't worry too much. The outside speaker is not what calls in the cavalry, and any bad guys that think removing that speaker disables your alarm will benefit from the 3-5 years at Crime University they will receive.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And then again, the speaker could have been knocked off by some big truck?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    did you contact law enforcement in regards to your building being vandalized?...the speaker being ripped off the building qualifies and might increase patrols in the area which might deter someone who is casing the building...it might also alert you to any activity there may be in the area because its not uncommon for leo to relate such information when taking a complaint...

i am astounded by how much many people take on themselves without informing law enforcement....i'm not saying they are going to prevent a crime but every little bit helps...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    did you contact law enforcement in regards to your building being vandalized?...the speaker being ripped off the building qualifies and might increase patrols in the area which might deter someone who is casing the building...it might also alert you to any activity there may be in the area because its not uncommon for leo to relate such information when taking a complaint...

i am astounded by how much many people take on themselves without informing law enforcement....i'm not saying they are going to prevent a crime but every little bit helps...

Please refer to this section of post number 14. I could say I am astounded by folks that don't read the entire thread sometimes, but that would be making ass u mptions. BTW, officers is refering to LEO.

We are working on a steel enclosed speaker with the alarm company. I had one of the officers on duty stop by today just to let him know. He didn't file a report but he was going to relay the info to the night shift supervisor and see if anything similar has been happening in other areas.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Okay...no kidding...did I miss the part that you're going to have a 12 ga. shotgun with you?

If 34 9mm's won't cure it, I doubt that shotgun blasts would do any better.

This is my office afterall. I would just as soon put the rounds on target and have as little collateral damage as possible. Besides, there are a few corners in the building that are pretty tight and a long gun would be somewhat cumbersome.

I guess, I could always load up the Sub 2000 with 33 rd magazines, but I think I will stick with just my pistol for now.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

sounds like to me you are AWARE of your surroundings and anything out of the ordinary.

Move your alarm system to Wireless and add Video to the mix. I have 6 cameras feeding a motion detection system that terminates in a 8 hour UPS backed up system in a hardened closet in the house. It also has a beep alarm for motion on my property within the range of the motion detection system in video. In alarm I go to condition RED and check the monitor in the master suite with the house alarm still armed.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

You should always have a written report filed with local law enforcement with a case number for future reference if needed. You want that paper trail just in case you have to intervene at some later date with an offender. JMHO.

P.S. If I am sitting expecting an armed confrontation I have a long gun with a light on it.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Definitely not paranoid. I agree with upgrades in your security system and a stake out. Document the issue with the police, ask for (and don't expect) additional patrol coverage, and get on the record that you want a peaceful solution. Avoid the perception of a lone wolf vigilante. God forbid you have to shoot, you'll have a foundation to repute some pretty megative charges.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    No it doesn't sound like you are paranoid to me.

Just a thought to consider, your doors are steel so with quality commercial grade deadbolts they should be fine. You state that you only have 3 windows so why not invest in having security film installed on them? It won't cost that much and then all I can say is good luck getting in! you can hit a window that has security film with a sledge hammer and it is going to just bounce off of it, yes it will crack the glass but he ain't getting through without some serious effort. And we alll know that bad guys don't like to hang around making a racket, there are easier targets.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You're not being paranoid, you're being practical. Good luck. You might also request the local PD to do extra patrols at night. BTW, you don't have just tax files, you have phones, furniture, equipment, etc. All of it worth protecting IMO.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    The only lighting at night in there is from the server and routers.
    I.T. equipment is candy for crackheads; is your data backed up and stored off-site if the worst did happen?
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links