Am I worrying too much?

Am I worrying too much?

This is a discussion on Am I worrying too much? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We were out of town last week and had a gal fill in to do some payrolls ect. at the office. On Monday night when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I worrying too much?

Question Am I worrying too much?

We were out of town last week and had a gal fill in to do some payrolls ect. at the office. On Monday night when I drove past the office I noticed the light which is normally left on 24/7 was turned out. I can only assume that she inadvertantly turned it off when she left on Friday. No big deal I think the next day I will just turn it on.

Tuesday, I was out of the office doing some work at an attorney's place so when I went back to the office I parked out front instead of the back. I noticed that there was a wire hanging off the eve of the building and noticed that the speaker that it was supposed to be attached to was missing, ok it had been stolen. This is the outside speaker to the office alarm system. There was one screw laying in the parking lot and I could tell where it had been ripped out of the wood.

Ok, now my mind is going, what the heck would someone want with an alarm system speaker. How the heck do I know, but hey, some folks would try to steal the stink off of crap if they could get away with it.

Then after some additional thought throughout the day I think, hey, what if they are getting rid of the speaker so that they can break into the office. What they would want with stuff in my office I have no idea, but there are thousands of personal tax records in there and some other stuff that is pretty valuable.

Needless to say, the past two nights I have spent the night at the office just in case there are plans to make an unauthorized attempt at removing my stuff from the premesis. I am currently waiting on the alarm company to replace the outside speaker and put it in a place that is less accessible, and install a wireless backup to the phone line system.

Ok, so, am I being to paranoid, or would some of you all be spending a few nights on a cot at the office?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good thinking, Not paranoid. Good Luck & Stay Safe ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Your business, your call.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It could very well be that someone is "eliminating" the outside alarm. Do what you think is necessary to protect your business. Is you phone line accessible from outside--easy to cut? Maybe it's time for a professional consultation with a security person to evaluate any weak points as far as access and alarms.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Not paranoid, but be careful, these perps (if they are perps casing for a breakin) have thought pretty far ahead and very well may be armed, I'd have plenty of artillery on hand and more than one plan of egress and source of cover in the office, if at all possible.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I understand totaly, something similar happend a few years ago to my familys buisness. After some diff trial and errors senerios we got it all figured out.
    When I drive by the store at night and I see someone in the parking lot I stop in and check up.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Not paranoid at all, pretty good thinking actually. Consider letting the police know just do they are aware of it and you can also put a steel cage around your alarm speaker
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Not paranoid, good luck with everything
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

Definitely not paranoid; proactive is better
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I wish my accountant was as dedicated in protecting my personal info.

Sounds like some teens just looking to steal/destroy something.

If it was the intent of a thief to break in, they probably would have just disabled the speaker, so as not to make it so obvious.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I wouldn't say paranoid, my mothers business has suffered from both internal and external attacks of theft before and she solved the problem with coded dead bolt steel doors for the back and some "unbreakable" glass for the front along with a nice security system. They might get in, but they will not get back out free men. (Knock on wood.)
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I'd say it was pretty prudent. If possible, consider photos and notes before it's fixed, and possibly requesting a visit from a neighborhood officer.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Not paranoid. Sounds like a reasonable concern for your business and proporty that you have worked hard to earn and build.
    Walk softly ...

The phone line is accessible from the outside, not really any way around that, since the phone company uses overhead lines in this part of town still.

We are working on a steel enclosed speaker with the alarm company. I had one of the officers on duty stop by today just to let him know. He didn't file a report but he was going to relay the info to the night shift supervisor and see if anything similar has been happening in other areas.

The way our office is layed out, the two exterior doors are steel and open towards the outside and have key only deadbolts, so that pretty much eliminates them coming in through the doors I guess. The three windows are at least 4 1/2 feet of the ground so they are going to have to climb to get in if they choose to go through there. Two are on the front of the building on a pretty busy street with lots of lighting.

The one that gives me the most concern is the window that is towards the back of the building in a sort of alley way between my office and the insurance office next door. It is not really lit, but is probably over 5 feet off the ground. This window does however give me a good view with the blinds just slightly gapped, so I can see the shadow off the end of the building which is lit by a security light. Now if that light happens to be unscrewed I definately know something is going on. The only lighting at night in there is from the server and routers. Well that is unless I have to open the fridge then it gets really bright, but I check for activity before making a quick entry in for snacks.

Oh well, one more night on the cot, and hopefully they will be here tomorrow with the cell backup and a new speaker pointing towards the busy street.

Hopefully it was just a couple of stupid kids doing stupid stuff. This is one time I am hoping for youthful ignorance, better than having to shoot someone for being a thief.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Certainly not paranoid on your part...I would be doing the same thing. One has to protect self-interests when in a business.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links