Layers

Layers

This is a discussion on Layers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many layers of defense do you have at your home? I'll start. Motion sensor triggered flood lights outside. Alarm at all possible entry points. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layers

Layers

How many layers of defense do you have at your home?
    I'll start.
    Motion sensor triggered flood lights outside.
    Alarm at all possible entry points.
    Infared motion sensors inside.
    2 American bulldogs, 1 downstairs, 1 upstairs.
    1 safe room upstairs, 1 downstairs.
    Reinforced locked bedroom doors.
    Loaded weapons both bedrooms.
    Your layers?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    -deadbolts already installed on both front and rear door on the apartment
    -doorstop alarms for both doors as well as bedroom doors
    -portable deadbolt for my bedroom door
    -door security bar for both front and rear doors
    -loaded guns, flashlights, sonic earmuffs, and edged weapons in the master bedroom/safe room
    -fully charged cellphone in the master bedroom/safe room
    -front and rear door lights turned on during the hours of darkness
    -timers programmed to turn on at the evening hours attached to lamps in the living room and both bedrooms

-steel exterior doors
    -schlage commercial grade locksets and deadbolts keyed alike on both exterior doors and garage entry door
    -security striker plates on above doors
    -3 1/2" screws on all hinges and striker plates
    -security film on 1st floor glass
    -video surveillance, full exterior, some interior, street-view to catch plates
    -outside motion lights
    - fenced yard
    -loaded 870 mounted in this http://www.fleetsafety.com/Police-Gu...loor-Mount-189 in hall closet downstairs
    -2 Belgian Malinois that stick to my wife and boys like velcro and are very protective of them
    -monitored security system installed to my specs
    -much much more

# If you spot a minority in your gated community who is not holding a leafblower or other lawn-care device, call your local police immediately.
    # When going on vacation, be sure to leave the oven on. This will fool people into thinking you are home.
    # When a suspicious stranger knocks at your door, reply in a falsetto voice, "Ain't nobody here but us chickens."
    # Leave a glass of milk and plate of cookies on kitchen table with a note reading "For burglars." Poison the cookies.
    # The best way to prevent burglary is to avoid keeping valuables lying around. Leave your six-bedroom mansion unfurnished, then shower, sleep and change clothes at the YMCA only.
    # Surround your house with an impenetrable labyrinth of enchanted briars.
    # Make your home unappealing to burglars by smearing windows and doors with your own feces.
    # If a stranger rings your doorbell, only talk to him if you have a handgun jammed down his throat.
    # Keep several cauldrons of boiling oil on your ramparts at all times.
    # Before going to bed, spread broken glass on your floors. Use a ratio of one pound for every five square feet, and leave yourself a path to the bathroom.
    # Rig your home with an electronic timer to randomly switch lights on and off every 15 seconds.
    # Place a large, highly visible "No Radio" sign in the front window of your home.
    # Kids should never tell a stranger who calls that they are home alone. Have them say, "Mom and dad are too busy ******* to come to the phone."
    # If you accidentally shoot a neighbor you mistake for a burglar, drag him inside and get his prints on a steak knife.
    # Keep your wife's expensive jewelry hidden deep within her anal column.
    # A handgun is of no use unless it is easily accessible in an emergency. Make sure your spouse and children know where it is at all times.
    # Protect your prized Precious Moments figurines with an elaborate network of lasers.
    # Pile valuables in center of living-room floor. Sit on pile holding double-barreled shotgun. Do not sleep.
    (LINK)
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

1. Motion sensor lights that stay on all night in the summer because they can't tell the difference between the heat radiating off my car (sitting still and not running) and a human.
    2. Broken storm door that yanks open with ease whether locked or not on the front door, dog door in the bottom of the storm door in the back.
    3. Flimsy back door with single pane window in a cracked door frame, and a halfway decent solid core door in the front.
    4. Single pane windows.
    5. Three dogs. One small and loud. One medium and blind so she barks at anything she hears (even if she is pointed the wrong direction). One large and territorial.
    6. Two cats so the criminal with allergies would be beset with sneezing fits and swollen, runny eyes.
    7. MUCH nicer homes in the neighborhood that present a more promising target.
    8. Me.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sheet in the summer, add a quilt in the winter. Glock 30 if that's not enough. Oh, and a yearly spray of anti-zombie juice on the yard, Sheeez.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    1. Motion sensor lights that stay on all night in the summer because they can't tell the difference between the heat radiating off my car (sitting still and not running) and a human.
    2. Broken storm door that yanks open with ease whether locked or not on the front door, dog door in the bottom of the storm door in the back.
    3. Flimsy back door with single pane window in a cracked door frame, and a halfway decent solid core door in the front.
    4. Single pane windows.
    5. Three dogs. One small and loud. One medium and blind so she barks at anything she hears (even if she is pointed the wrong direction). One large and territorial.
    6. Two cats so the criminal with allergies would be beset with sneezing fits and swollen, runny eyes.
    7. MUCH nicer homes in the neighborhood that present a more promising target.
    8. Me.
    Sounds an awful lot like my place......
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Screen door with no screen, locks broke, door with no knob, two bug zappers, one blind cow dog and one 3 legged cow dog, windows unlocked but covered in tin foil, decon spread around, and my trusty Jennings semi auto ak 47 glock revolver with 3 clips loaded with non lethal shotgun bullets (I should be a reporter)

Honestly wouldn't post my true layers on the net

Double cylinder dead bolt on front door. Back door left unlocked, due to large German shephard. If they get in fine, we'll have a party. Someone who knows how to shoot are always inside.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Honestly wouldn't post my true layers on the net
    First rule of physical security. Don't advertise your protective measures.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

AzB
    My roommate is Chuck Norris.

Nothing else is required.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I have more layers than Agent 86's HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    my trusty Jennings semi auto ak 47 glock revolver with 3 clips loaded with non lethal shotgun bullets (I should be a reporter)
    Love it!

Police response is so sucky here,il go ahead and say i dont waste my money on an alarm system.

Deadbolted doors
    Hidden cameras
    Benelli M2 Comfortech with Surefire red l.e.d light
    Springfield 1911TRP with Surefire Defender red l.e.d
    Taurus Judge .410 (about as useful as a spoon unless you go for a crotch shot)
    knives
    tv
    couch
    rolled up magazines
    computer
    walls
    floor
    ceiling
    doors
    bottles
    fridge
    clock
    phone
    keys
    stereo
    6000 pound truck
    tools in garage
    John Deere mower
    gas and lighters
    krav maga trained mad man

One simple lock that is easily breachable. I lay awake at night and pray some low life scum picks my house instead of the widow ladys house down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links