A Real Gun - Page 3

A Real Gun

This is a discussion on A Real Gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I used to carry a long gun all the time when I lived 15 miles out of the nearest town, but since I live in ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Real Gun

I used to carry a long gun all the time when I lived 15 miles out of the nearest town, but since I live in the city now, near an area called felony flats, there are just too many BG's roaming around that might want the long gun more than I do. now I only carry a rifle when I go into the woods.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    VAshooter. The purpose of the weapon and ammunition is because I CAN'T predict what will happen. That's the reason it's there, with the ammo, in the first place. What I can tell you is this. It doesn't adversely affect the vehicle's handling or mileage, the vehicle doesn't complain, and it has zero negative impact on me. I don't need to carry it or exert any additional effort at all. It;s in the trunk, like a spare tire and jumper cables. If I need it, it's there. U.S. citizens have carried guns for 234 years, and for the vast majority of that time, they carried rifles when travelling, because they didn't know they wouldn't need it. Nothing's changed, other than we have 911 to call for help. Anyone care to rely on that? A pistol is a great thing to have so you can fight your way to a real gun. I just want to keep that trip as short as possible.
    I'm not questioning a need for a rifle - I know there are situations where a rifle would be a very good thing to have. I'm just wondering what situation you can envision that you'd need over 700 rounds for. Nobody in U.S. history (outside of wars) has ever needed even a tenth of that for a situation. But you're right - it doesn't weigh your car down.

I can't forecast a situation where I'd need 700 rounds. If I could, I'd avoid it in the first place. I also carry a Glock 19, 15 + 1, and 2 spares on me, with 2 in the console, plus a Glock 20 in the glove box, 15 + 1, with 3 spares. And there's pistol ammo in the trunk, with the rifle ammo. No reason to be prepared. It does make a speeding ticket take a little longer though.

Do you carry a first aid kit, shovel, tool set, extra food and water, binoculars, tire chains, two spare tires, extra fuel and a chinsaw?
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Do you carry a first aid kit (YES), shovel(YES), tool set(YES), extra food(NO) and water(YES), binoculars(YES), tire chains(NO), two spare tires(NO), extra fuel(NO) and a chinsaw(NO)?

But you made some good suggestions Ice.

I would see a need for a chainsaw to clear a downed tree from a roadway in case of a severe storm, tire chains if that was an ice storm, food in case you get stranded long term, and two spare tires in case you hit a piece of debris that takes out two tires on one side,and the extra fuel in case of long term power outage (fuel pumps need electricity). I would also add signal flares, mylar blankets, dry tinder for starting a fire, a compas, and perhaps goggles in case you loose your windshield to hail or debris. I mean, if you really want to be prepared...

two spare tires? People hardley even make sure the ONE they have is properly inflated.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

What would you need first? 700 rounds of ammo or a second spare tire? I would bet the tire sees more action and takes up less space in the car.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    After thinking about this. A "Real Gun" is any gun that I am holding to defend myself at the time.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Nope. Don't have a long gun in the car. My car has been broken into too many times to store anything remotely valuable in it. My sidearm is enough to shoot my way out of anything I might get myself into. I don't carry mouse guns- the two smallest guns I carry are a Glock 36 (.45ACP) and a Sig P239 (.40S&W). If I can shoot my way to my car, then I'm going enter the car and get the Hell outta there. It's a 3000 pound weapon with lots of horsepower.

I tend to not go into places where I need the firepower of a rifle. That's why it stays at home - I'll defend my homestead. Everything else, let the pro's do the cleanup. I just need to look out for myself and my own.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Good point ICE. I'm going to get a chainsaw tomorrow, and get a case of peanut butter and crackers for the trunk. Maybe I'll get run flat tires. But the DPMS stays.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Cattle = coyotes= Carry long gun 4 months of the year
    Pasture = Prarie dogs= Carry long additional 4 months of the year
    Sunflowers=Turtle doves= Carry shotgun 3 months of the Year
    River=Wild Hogs = Carry long gun additional 3 months of the year

4+4+3+3= 14 Months rifle or shotgun is in my pickup (Wait thats not right) :)

Oh yeah
    corn stalks= goose & duck season= add a couple more months yep thats my year lol

I may throw my 30-30 or 10/22 into the truck from time to time during the summer, but that is only on the off chance that I might get to go to the range sometime that day. In the case I keep those guns I also keep some paper targets and duct tape.

I can see the use of a long gun in a WROL "get me home" situation.
    The reality though is that I don't and probably won't unless I'm hunting or going to the range. I think everyone should do what they feel is prudent and some will say that having a long gun in the trunk is a good thing. For me, it's just a cost/benefit situation. I'd love an AR stashed in the trunk, another in the safe, another stashed in the house somewhere, still another 1 or 2 in long term storage cache. BUT, I don't have the funding for my own private armory and I don't want to run the risk of one getting stolen, rusty, or used against me. I know those risks can be reduced, but I've got other areas of security and defense to deal with too. I feel comfortable in MY daily situations with a handgun or 2, extra loaded magazines, and my wits.
    That said, if I planned to use my daily driver as a bug-out vehicle it is one less thing to pack or think about.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I only carry my CC pistol with me in my car or when on foot. My Mossberg 590 12-ga. and my RRA LAR-15 5.56mm are kept in an all-steel long gun cabinet, as they are only used for home defense.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links