A Real Gun - Page 5

A Real Gun

This is a discussion on A Real Gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just day to day driving,i have 2 Glocks locked in my truck.But i take all my guns with me when im going out of town ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Real Gun

Just day to day driving,i have 2 Glocks locked in my truck.But i take all my guns with me when im going out of town ,which adds up to 4 in the truck and one on me.One of those is a Benelli M2.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    To each his own.
    Hell yes! Now thats what Im talkin about!

Here in Oklahoma I can have in my vehicle any long gun I like, so long as there's not a round in the chamber. If I wanted I could have a .300 Win-Mag bolt action with a 5-round magazine and my Remington 870 Express loaded with 6 shells, provided neither actually has a round chambered.

As has been said by others though, if I can fight my way back to my vehicle I'd much prefer to end the firefight as a living man driving away. That and my Jeep is a soft-top. I'm not about to store a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle with a soft-top.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    When traveling I frequently take a US M1 Carbine with a couple of magazines. My F150 Supercab has a convenient space that cannot be seen from outside the truck.
    I also have an M-1. They are the perfect rifle to use for self-defense. Compact, fairly powerful, and you can jam a 30 rd magazine in them and shoot till the cows come home.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    I can't forecast a situation where I'd need 700 rounds. If I could, I'd avoid it in the first place. I also carry a Glock 19, 15 + 1, and 2 spares on me, with 2 in the console, plus a Glock 20 in the glove box, 15 + 1, with 3 spares. And there's pistol ammo in the trunk, with the rifle ammo. No reason to be prepared. It does make a speeding ticket take a little longer though.
    I support your decision to carry what you want but... You are leaving yourself vulnerable here in a couple ways:

1) Theft. You are leaving 2 guns in your car and 800+ rounds of ammo plus mags. You are really going to be kicking yourself if your car gets broken into.

2) Aftermath. If you ever are involved in a defensive shooting you are 100% for sure going to be labeled a whack job by responding officers and the media. Like it or not your potential jury pool will read and watch the news about the "crazy" guy with three "automatic" weapons and "almost" a thousand rounds of ammo in his trunk. The perception of the responding officers and their initial judgments will weigh heavily in determining whether or not you go to trial.

I support the idea of a long gun but maybe 60 rounds of ammo in mags and get rid of the extra pistol. In any real world scenario that can possibly be imagined you will have stopped the BGs or be dead before your third reload.
    Last edited by atctimmy; November 1st, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I do not currently own a long gun, but I will be acquiring an AR15 pretty soon. I live in an urban setting, and I don't predict any situation where the use of a long gun would be necessary or prudent. One of my pistols with an extra mag will suffice for the most part. As others have said, if I can get to my car in this situation, I need to be getting the hell out of dodge. I go on road trips at least once a year, covering at least 2k+ miles. When I get my rifle, it will be with me in the trunk for the trips, with maybe 3 full magazines. You never know what you will encounter on the road, especially in the middle of nowhere when police response times vary from 10 minutes to whenever the local sheriff gets done with his part time job.

I also agree, 700 rds is a bit excessive. You would be characterized as a crazy whack job by everyone who reads your news story. Carry a couple mags, and make your shots count. My opinion is not to attack you, just to possibly give you insight into what others may think. Then again, this is the USA! You can do what ever you want, well almost...

I will need to find a way to secure the rifle, any suggestions for a concealed and secured rifle in the trunk of a car? I do not have the ability to mount the rifle behind or under a seat. Maybe this could be a new thread?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Anyone who would say that is not right in my view (and that's being nice). A real weapon is the one that you have on you. Long guns and shotguns have their place, but they are also hard to manuever in small places, so unless your in a wide open place, the long gun and shotgun are ok, but the pistol allows you be move and manuever better.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Schwaa,
    As I recall OldSchool keeps an 870 in his trunk in a locked rack, but I don't recall the brand. I would suspect that the same outfit makes them for rifles and if you contact him he could give you the name.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've heard it said:
    "A pistol is great to have so you can fight your way to a real gun".

I don't know if that's entirely accurate, but a good rifle in your can be real heart warming when things get extra ugly. With that in mind, do you carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, in the event "ugly" finds you while you're away from home base?

I'll start - a DPMS .308, 6 loaded 19 rd. magazines, and 3 200 rd. battle packs of ammo in the trunk.
    I understand in a way. "Fight my way to a real gun"....would mean I didn't think I had a 'real gun' to begin with. What's the sense of me carrying a pistol if I truly need something else? Heartwarming maybe....but just like the ancients of Egypt.............will what's buried with you make it to the afterlife or does it really matter? After life is after life. Where exactly do you want to be?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rson63 View Post
    I've got a PLR-16 long range pistol and have thought about trying to find another jack box to mount on top of the existing box under the rear seat. So it would look factory, blend in with interior.
    rson, that's a good idea.

My state allows the concealment of a loaded handgun in the vehicle with a valid CHL. OR defines a "handgun" as
    ...any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.
    (emphasis is mine)

So it seems that concealing an AR pistol (that was designed, built, and purchased as such) in my vehicle would be perfectly legal.

Hmmm...

I've heard it said:
    "A pistol is great to have so you can fight your way to a real gun".

I don't know if that's entirely accurate, but a good rifle in your can be real heart warming when things get extra ugly. With that in mind, do you carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, in the event "ugly" finds you while you're away from home base?

I'll start - a DPMS .308, 6 loaded 19 rd. magazines, and 3 200 rd. battle packs of ammo in the trunk.
    This Post is very interesting, especially the part about the amount of ammo that carguy feels he has to carry. I have been giving this some serious thought recently. First some background, I am a retired Law Enforcement Officer. During my day I carried a dept issued weapon (except for the last 5 years it was an S&W .38 cal revolver) and 18 rounds of ammo. Now in all those year (30+) I have never had to fire on anyone (Perhaps I sould count myself luck on this) I always figured that the gun was there for one reason and one reason only, and that was to make sure I went home each night from work, so 18 rounds always seemed to me to be enough. I know that times do change and having a larger amount of ammo has become more of a necessity for LEO's since the bad guys have become aware of the fact that if they shoot lots of ammo at you thier chances of getting away are greatly increased. That being said, I would agree that LEO's need to have a good supply of ammo, thus the higher capacity semi auto and large capacity mags. But that is Law Enforcement. You would have to ask yourself why you go armed. I know that there are threats out there to life and limb, but are you really going to ever get into a situation (as a civilian) where you really feel that you are going to need more than the 10, 14 or 17 rounds that the average auto handgun carries? I mean comeon its great to be prepared but is anyone (other than an LEO) really ever going to get into a running gun battle with a BG. Most of the time, I suspect that if the worse case senario happens it will happen all of a sudden, on the streets, probably in a populated neighborhood. If you can get to your cc weapon in time to defend yourself, IMHO you will expend 1 mag or less in stopping the threat, even if you are piss poor shot I don't think that you are going to expend more than one mag. Either the BG is going to die or be scared off. If you continue to shoot once the threat has been nutrualized or leaves the scene, I suspect that in most states (even the pro gun ones) you would be charged with a crime. So my conclusion is that when if comes to your personal safety and survival, one mag is about the limit. Now I agree that if you are out in the wilderness then by all means take what you think will be necessary but carrying 6 loaded 19 round mags and 3 200 round battle packs is a bit much don't you think. I should say that you are intitled to do what you want and I 'm not trying to be critical here but what are you planning for World war 3? Anyone who is concerned about self defense of yourself and loved ones should carry, but lets be reasonable here. Any gun that will stop the immediate threat is sufficent for everyday carry. Just my 2 cents worth.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justjim View Post
    So my conclusion is that when if comes to your personal safety and survival, one mag is about the limit.
    Until that mag breaks, gets caked with dirt from taking cover, gets "accidentally" released from the gun under pressure and needs to be replaced, etc.

IMHO, a spare mag on your person is a very good idea, for any number of possible - or seemingly impossible - situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Until that mag breaks, gets caked with dirt from taking cover, gets "accidentally" released from the gun under pressure and needs to be replaced, etc.

IMHO, a spare mag on your person is a very good idea, for any number of possible - or seemingly impossible - situations.
    I agree, and your point is well taken. What I was saying, and its just my opinion mind you, is that the ammount of ammo that the OP was talking about was IMO excessive along with the extra long gun. In my opinion I think that the OP and I are talking about two completely different sistuations. Im talking about personal safety and self defense and I think although I may be wrong that the OP may be referring to some other stuation, so I will not make any judgement concerning his intentions or objectives.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justjim View Post
    I agree, and your point is well taken. What I was saying, and its just my opinion mind you, is that the ammount of ammo that the OP was talking about was IMO excessive along with the extra long gun. In my opinion I think that the OP and I are talking about two completely different sistuations. Im talking about personal safety and self defense and I think although I may be wrong that the OP may be referring to some other stuation, so I will not make any judgement concerning his intentions or objectives.
    Well, sounds like we're on the same page...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I don't keep a long-gun in my vehicle usually, for several reasons. First is that I don't want to leave a long gun in my vehicle when I'm not around it. Second is you can start to get into a few legal issues depending on how it is stored, the state of the ammunition, and the knowledge of gun laws that an LEO has if he pulls you over. Third is that if I'm outside the vehicle and need a long gun, if I can get to the vehicle, I'm driving away. If I'm inside the vehicle and need the long gun, I'm focusing on driving away. It takes fairly significant small arms fire to immediately disable a vehicle, yes they can shoot out tires and the radiator, but you can drive on that far enough to get somewhere safer if your life depends on it. I don't really forsee complex ambushes set up for me stateside.
    That covers it.

If I thought I had any chance at all of ever needing a black rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammo, I'd change my life so that possibility went away.

Fitch

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links