A Real Gun

A Real Gun

This is a discussion on A Real Gun within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've heard it said: "A pistol is great to have so you can fight your way to a real gun". I don't know if that's ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Real Gun

A Real Gun

I've heard it said:
    "A pistol is great to have so you can fight your way to a real gun".

I don't know if that's entirely accurate, but a good rifle in your can be real heart warming when things get extra ugly. With that in mind, do you carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, in the event "ugly" finds you while you're away from home base?

I'll start - a DPMS .308, 6 loaded 19 rd. magazines, and 3 200 rd. battle packs of ammo in the trunk.

I do not own a rifle or a shotgun but even if I did I doubt I would carry either of them in my vehicle everyday.

I don't keep a long-gun in my vehicle usually, for several reasons. First is that I don't want to leave a long gun in my vehicle when I'm not around it. Second is you can start to get into a few legal issues depending on how it is stored, the state of the ammunition, and the knowledge of gun laws that an LEO has if he pulls you over. Third is that if I'm outside the vehicle and need a long gun, if I can get to the vehicle, I'm driving away. If I'm inside the vehicle and need the long gun, I'm focusing on driving away. It takes fairly significant small arms fire to immediately disable a vehicle, yes they can shoot out tires and the radiator, but you can drive on that far enough to get somewhere safer if your life depends on it. I don't really forsee complex ambushes set up for me stateside.

All that being said, if I am taking a trip to a place I know I can safely store a long gun, like staying overnight at a gun-friendly friend's house, I usually take my Bushmaster M-4 and some mags with me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Living in the suburbs of Phoenix I am always armed, but the long guns generally stay at home. When my lady and I head up into the high country - like Flagstaff area or the White Mountains - there's an AR with a dozen loaded mags in the back of the wagon.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I would love to have a long gun in my car but I'm too lazy to buy a shotgun and make it legal for me to carry it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

When I was young, we always kept a 30-30 in our truck. Wouldn't consider it now.

"A pistol is great to have so you can fight your way to a real gun".
    In this case, you might re-write the adage to read: "A pistol is great to have so you can fight your way back to your car."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I carry a pistol to get me out of a jam, not a long gun to carry on a war.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I used to keep a shooty in the trunk but keeping the rust off of it in an uncontrolled environment was tough. In reality, how many situations are there that you would get to your car then have the opportunity to engage a threat?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think a 500 S&W, which can bring down an elephant, qualifies as a "real gun".
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    The rifles stay in the safe unless and until we head out for a major camping trip or the like. I think that the likelihood of needing the sidearm is low; the likelihood of needing to fight my way to the rifle and use it from the car are even lower. Personally, if I make it to the truck I am going to get in it and get the curse-word out of there.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I don't keep a long-gun in my vehicle usually, for several reasons. First is that I don't want to leave a long gun in my vehicle when I'm not around it. Second is you can start to get into a few legal issues depending on how it is stored, the state of the ammunition, and the knowledge of gun laws that an LEO has if he pulls you over. Third is that if I'm outside the vehicle and need a long gun, if I can get to the vehicle, I'm driving away. If I'm inside the vehicle and need the long gun, I'm focusing on driving away. It takes fairly significant small arms fire to immediately disable a vehicle, yes they can shoot out tires and the radiator, but you can drive on that far enough to get somewhere safer if your life depends on it. I don't really forsee complex ambushes set up for me stateside.

All that being said, if I am taking a trip to a place I know I can safely store a long gun, like staying overnight at a gun-friendly friend's house, I usually take my Bushmaster M-4 and some mags with me.
    ^^ This.

Leaving the gun in the car is asking for it to get stolen.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

When traveling I frequently take a US M1 Carbine with a couple of magazines. My F150 Supercab has a convenient space that cannot be seen from outside the truck.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

What's the reason an individual wouldn't want a rifle in the trunk? Because they don't think they'll need it. The anti gun people tell us the same thing about our hand guns.

Depending on where I am going and why and for how long etc. I sometimes have my bushy AR carbine and a few magazines stashed in the truck.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links