A new CraigsList scam with home defense implications

This is a discussion on A new CraigsList scam with home defense implications within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I have to agree with the majority here. It would be pretty stupid to "rent" a house off the internet, go to said house, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new CraigsList scam with home defense implications

Well I have to agree with the majority here. It would be pretty stupid to "rent" a house off the internet, go to said house, ignore the 3 vehicles and dog and still try to get into the house. And of course when they try to enter they're going to hear me yelling that the police are on the way and that I'm armed. To continue to try to enter after all that would take a real special kind of stupid.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    "youre carrying paperwork you printed off the internet and youre gonna enter a house youve never been to before armed and ready to shoot an intruder?....man...you need some work son...."

actually this was not my thinking at all ....... it is pretty common scam now for a person to break in a home that has been foreclosed on by the bank or simply setting , it has been empty ,in a good area for some time .. the scamer breaks in re-keys the home and post adds etc .... you come see the rental unit sign the contract face to face , hand over first , last and deposit ..... and get the keys ... it is not unfathomable to think at some point in the future - tomorrow or months from your move in date , that some one will return .....

there are lots of "snowbird" type homes

so what is your reaction you are in YOUR RENTAL that you have lived in for a month , and the real owner comes to town for the season from new york , middle of the night , breaks glass to get in his home , you are sleeping and armed .......

"man...you need some work son..."--------------------------- dont we all , dont we all
    Well I was assuming it was a house I OWNED and the scam was someone trying to rent it out. in that case I KNOW I am the owner, hence, the reaction and my condemning your actions. Also it does not change my response. if some strange person approaches the house I am "renting" .. IF I answer the door my gun is already behind my back or at my side. so your dream of me having to draw and presenting and opportunity to shoot or outdraw me is shattered.

Either the person being scammed or the real home owner should call the cops. NOT engage.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Well I was assuming it was a house I OWNED and the scam was someone trying to rent it out. in that case I KNOW I am the owner, hence, the reaction and my condemning your actions. Also it does not change my response. if some strange person approaches the house I am "renting" .. IF I answer the door my gun is already behind my back or at my side. so your dream of me having to draw and presenting and opportunity to shoot or outdraw me is shattered.

Either the person being scammed or the real home owner should call the cops. NOT engage.
    first off i am replying and replied to the op just to be thought invoking , not to insult or be insulted ,
    that said .... "Well I was assuming it was a house I OWNED and the scam was someone trying to rent it out' - lets say the house is your vacation home in the hills , you are there a couple of weekends , and 1 or 2 weeks out of the year ........... , show up late fri night after a long drive thru bad traffic etc ..... no sign of any thing has been changed , no cars to be seen ( it was rented to a writer?) , your key-s do not work , no lights on , again looks like alls well ....
    do you call leo to come let you in your own home ? would you even think of ringing the bell of knocking at you own empty home ?
    now lets think about the writer all on his lonesome , hears someone " trying to gain entry to "his home" front and back doors ,(he has been living there in a fully furnished mountain lodge for 3 months now )... finally a smashed window and in comes you the you owner .....? castle doctern applies in said state

as if this were not enough food for thought i question this method as well-- "IF I answer the door my gun is already behind my back or at my side. so your dream of me having to draw and presenting and opportunity to shoot or outdraw me is shattered.

you would actually answer the door ? i do not step in front of my door if i do not know who is there!!-- , just saw a sign less than an hour ago , where 4 homes were robbed (armed) in philly , bg with a pizza box , "oh sorry wrong house can i use your .......... bam hes in and armed , another thing .....

just saying

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    why you'd rent a place without even looking at it is beyond me.
    When we moved from California to Arizona we only had one week to find a place to rent. Had to do everything by phone and internet. Rented a nice 4 bedroom home without ever even seeing the rental agent. Got the keys from HER representative and then found the house. We never did meet face to face with the agent, even when we moved out. Not that unusual to me!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Having used craigslist I am not a fan. Too many people trying to rip each other off. Not to mention having to meet the people. I remember having one guy come by my house, then call me back to threaten me after. I was to blame on that one(fail to mention trouble i had with product). This kind of thing only adds to my dislike of the website.

Now i try to do sales with people i know in person. I moved into a new apartment building a friend lived in, so I would know ahead of time what the landlord, tenants are like.

I couldn't even imagine doing it the complete opposite way. Just blindly sending money out and hoping for the best. Seems stupid to say the least.

In such a small thread so many people do business this way !
    Creigs is a god send if you know how to deal !
    For all you disbeleavers , I would never " rent a house ". Bla bla bla
    you ever book a hotel room on line or over the phone ?
    Pretty sure everyone calling people out for renting a house , or a rental has pretty much done the same sort pf thing ....
    Unless you live under a rock and do not travel
    agin just thinkin

There is one going on... where people take them to the house and show it to them, etc..... except it's a house up on a foreclosure. They rent it to the person, take the money, and then later.... the bank or someone wants to know why these people are living in their house.

That was on the National News.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

finally a smashed window and in comes you the you owner .....? castle doctern applies in said state
    Why would I break my own $200 dollar window instead of calling a locksmith for $40? I mean honestly. who breaks their own window to get into their home? "oh shoot, I must have forgotten my keys... let me throw a brick through my $700 10x5 window...."

bam hes in and armed , another thing .....
    And he's shot....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Pretty sure everyone calling people out for renting a house , or a rental has pretty much done the same sort pf thing ....
    Not even close to the same. when you book a resort or a hotel first of all its a corporation and not an individual dwelling like a someone's home. Also there is a CHECK IN! the hotel doesn't come and give you a key, then you fly down and walk in

agin just thinkin

obviously not clearly
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    In such a small thread so many people do business this way !
    Creigs is a god send if you know how to deal !
    For all you disbeleavers , I would never " rent a house ". Bla bla bla
    agin just thinkin
    The last time you checked into a hotel, did they fax you a "rental agreement" which you filled out with all your personal information including bank account and social security numbers and the faxed back to them?

Completely different things here.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

As apartment owners ,I have to say Craigslist is the best way to rent apartments. Hard to believe anyone would rent a place unseen unless they want to
    have a crack house.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    From threads like this. You can always tell who the older, and wiser gun people are. Life in general always means C.Y.A.

I just found this scam here in San Antonio.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/apa/1904989147.html

Here is the email i received when i inquired if this was the correct house for rent for $800:

David Tucker David Tuckerdavidtucker147@yahoo.com

Send e-mail
    Find e-mail Add to contactsTo henry@live.com
    Sent: Sat 8/21/10 2:36 AM
    To: henry@live.com (henry@live.com)

Hello Dear,

Sorry for the late response!!!!It is a great pleasure that you are interested in my house... Thanks for your email and it is my gladness hearing from you.I own the house you are making inquiry of.I am looking for responsible tenants that he/she is going to take care of the house as if it were your own and he/she will be willing to make the Property clean as we left it.Actually I resided in the house with my family,such as my wife and my only daughter before and presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in the (West Africa Nigeria)and won't be coming to the House until Four years now and that means we are renting the Property for long term and short term lease is also acceptable. and presently my house is still available for rent for $800 which the deposit is $800 dollars including the utilities like Heat, A/C in wall/window, Hydro, cable, Garbage Disposal, Fireplace , Fridge, stove, Dishwasher, Dryer, Breakfast Bar, Dining Table and Sofa Set,Refrigerator,Canopied deck overlooking nature.,internet access e..t.c .,it is furnished or if u wish to move in with your furniture no problem..More so Now, i went for a Crusade in West Africa.

Please i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also i spent a lot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken, it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.i do that once in a while...I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.I believe its absolutely a perfect home for you and your family.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENTAL APPLICATIONS FORMS BELOW

Please let me get this answer.

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF?

FULL NAME______________________________________________ ____ HOME PHONE ( )________________________
    CELL PHONE( )____________________________________
    DATE OF BIRTH_________________________________
    OTHER PHONE ( )___________________
    CURRENT ADDRESS_______________________________APT#________ CITY__________________ STATE______ ZIP________
    REASONS FOR LEAVING?____________________________RENT $__________PHONE ( )____________________________
    ARE YOU MARRIED____________________________
    HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL BE LIVING IN THE HOUSE____________________________
    DO YOU HAVE PETS____________________________
    DO YOU HAVE CARS____________________________
    OCCUPATION____________________________
    IF THE HOUSE IS BEEN GIVEN TO YOU,HOW LONG WOULD YOU LIKE TO STAY______________________________
    MOVE IN DATE____________________________
    HOW SOON CAN YOU HAVE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT SENT TO ME___________________________
    HOW SOON DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE HOUSE___________________________
    You could give me a call as soon as possible so we could proceed asap..

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you,please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that,we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this.This extraordinary Bedrooms:3 Bath:3

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR RENT ONLY STARTS COUNTING AFTER YOU HAVE FINALLY MOVED INTO THE HOUSE, SO YOU NEED NOT TO WORRY ABOUT MAKING THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT NOW AND NOT MOVING IN IMMEDIATELY,ALL YOU'RE DOING IS SECURING THE HOUSE IN YOUR FAVOR IN ORDER NOT TO LOOSE IT TO OTHER INTERESTED APPLICANTS..I ALSO WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THE HOUSE WAS FORMALLY FOR SALE BUT DUE TO THE ADVICE OF MY WIFE AND MY CHILDREN,I DECIDED TO PUT IT OUT FOR RENT.THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT THE FOR SALE SIGN.IT WILL BE REMOVED AS SOON AS YOU HAVE MOVE IN TO THE HOUSE.

PROPERTY DESCRIPTION

WELCOME HOME! .Call Today! .Don't miss this home ! !!Call today this home will not last!pets are welcome. You’ll love living here! Great location.

Bedrooms:3 Bedrooms

Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms

Approximately 2,707 Square Feet

Parking 2 dedicated

A month rent:$800

Deposit:$800

Application fee:$0

Pet policy:OK

Smoking inside:Not allowed

YOU CAN CONTACT ME ON +2348025305449 OR 0112348025305449

Thanks and remain blessed

--- On Thu, 8/19/10, henry@live.com <henry@live.com> wrote:

Subject: House for rent(Bulverde, TX) (Bulverde, TX) $800 3bd
    To: davidtucker147@yahoo.com
    Date: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 6:15 AM

Pardon, but is that the correct home pictured? How many sq ft is that?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/apa/1904989147.html

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

What if I am the renter and you are in my house ?
    By the Way I'm packing I have paper work , you draw , I out draw , your dead !
    Now what ?get thinking !

Opps you can't your dead
    And your going to prison
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Folks that have not rented a property sight have obviously never had to relocate for work. I have had to relocate numerous times on short notice ( I think the longest notice I was given was 2 weeks, shortest Friday to be there Monday). I have rented both apartments and homes sight unseen and had the people furnish them for me. Never had a bad experience. There are professional business's that will do this for you. But you will not find them on Craig's List!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links