A new CraigsList scam with home defense implications

This is a discussion on A new CraigsList scam with home defense implications within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's an interesting CraigsList scam going on in Central Florida that has home defense implications. Basically, the scam goes something like this: 1. Scammer lists ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

There's an interesting CraigsList scam going on in Central Florida that has home defense implications. Basically, the scam goes something like this:

1. Scammer lists a home (perhaps your home) for rent at an attractive price.
    2. Victim(s) contact scammer, and the scammer claims to be out of the country and wants to set up the deal via email. Scammer sends victim rental contract to fill out, and money and (fake) keys are exchanged via mail.
    3. Victim shows up to house to find it occupied, and leans they got hosed.

Half a dozen new "tenants" have shown up at one guy's house here locally because the scammer picked it as his bait.

Brings about a few potential home defense issues.

1. You're at home and hear someone trying to unlock your front door with the key they were sent (most home locks are Schlage or Kwikset, and there is a good chance the bogus key that was sent fits one or the other).

2. You're at home and an irate victim begins pounding on the door, demanding to know why you are in "their" house.

Bad JuJu all the way around....

Just some food for thought.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I avoid Craigslist for reasons like this. I can't imagine renting a house without even stepping foot in it. I'd first call the police tell them my address and home invasion, order family to safe area near alternate exit of house, get a grip on my EDC on my hip, tell the dispatcher I'm armed, stay on the phone, from cover yell "the police are on the way", "what do you want", "STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DO NOT COME IN HERE". Wait for police, prepare to get nasty if "mystery renter" proceeds.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    I avoid Craigslist too, but it appears that with this scam, even if you've never visited Craigslist you could become a player in the drama that follows.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    If a person is dumb enough to rent a house "without" viewing it first, then they are dumb enough to get shot by someone "legally" protecting their home.

Peronally, I find it hard to believe that someone would come to my house, see two or three vehicles, plus equipment, see/hear two dogs barking at them AND "still" attempt to open the door. (Most of the people that come to my house are afraid to get out of their cars until I come out and tell them it's ok.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    If a person is dumb enough to rent a house "without" viewing it first, then they are dumb enough to get shot by someone "legally" protecting their home.
    Ya know, that's what I first thought too. But then I thought about how I rent a beach house, and that's pretty much exactly how it's done. Now, granted I'd never go thru Craigslist, and it's thru some property rental web site, but this is something that I'll keep in mind the next time that I do so - I may have rented the house through a reputable rental company, but that doesn't mean that the dumb schlep that's banging on the door @ 11pm did?

why you'd rent a place without even looking at it is beyond me.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

This happened to my wife and I. We are looking for a house to rent and checked Craigslist. They had one at a great price almost across the street from our church. We got so excited and I emailed them right away. Well I got an email back from a guy claiming to be an American helping out in Nigeria. Bells went off and I googled the organization he was allegedly with. Came up a scam. We were sad but glad we did not send him a deposit like he wanted. Then they mail the "keys".

It's usually a four bedroom in a nice area for $800 in rent. I've saw another of their fake ads yesterday.

What if I am the renter and you are in my house ?
    By the Way I'm packing I have paper work , you draw , I out draw , your dead !
    Now what ?get thinking !

Opps you can't your dead

Deal only with people that you can meet face-to-face locally, and you avoid most of the scams.

Deal only with people that you can meet face-to-face locally, and you avoid most of the scams.
    You just cannot repeat this enough. I work in an LE section that monitors this, and the sheer volume and variety of Internet scams never ceases to amaze me. I am also amazed by how many people still fall for the scams. And with Internet scams, there is just little or really no hope that your money will be recovered, the crooks are just hidden too far outside the jurisdiction for LE to deal with. Federal agencies that you would expect to deal with it don't have the resources to deal with the problem, too many thousands of "small fish," and international investigations are just not workable. I am aware of one overseas (Europe) scam that was straightened out (sort of) with $60,000 recovered by a party and great expense of hiring outside legal and investigative help...AFTER European authorities stumbled on it. Another person LOST 40K in the same scam, gone forever, like 2 of the 3 or more suspects.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Now what ?get thinking !

Opps you can't your dead
    in this scenario You were scammed and it is NOT your house.

Oh, and you're probably wanted for murder, maybe YOU need to get thinking.

Also if some crazy person is trying to enter MY home, i don't need to draw, my gun is already out IF I open the door to you. YOU"RE dead if you draw on me in my own home.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post

Peronally, I find it hard to believe that someone would come to my house, see two or three vehicles, plus equipment, see/hear two dogs barking at them AND "still" attempt to open the door. (Most of the people that come to my house are afraid to get out of their cars until I come out and tell them it's ok.)
    Ever been in a locked public bathroom/stall and some idiot doesn't get a clue that the throne is unavailable to them? Even after you tell them it is occupied? They keep trying to get in then go get an employee to unlock the door. Then the idiot employee unlocks the door because they can't comprehend that someone is already in there? There are some very STUPID people out there.

There is a sucker born every minute. -P. T. Barnum
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    why you'd rent a place without even looking at it is beyond me.
    Bingo!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Now what ?get thinking !

Opps you can't your dead
    youre carrying paperwork you printed off the internet and youre gonna enter a house youve never been to before armed and ready to shoot an intruder?....man...you need some work son....

"youre carrying paperwork you printed off the internet and youre gonna enter a house youve never been to before armed and ready to shoot an intruder?....man...you need some work son...."

actually this was not my thinking at all ....... it is pretty common scam now for a person to break in a home that has been foreclosed on by the bank or simply setting , it has been empty ,in a good area for some time .. the scamer breaks in re-keys the home and post adds etc .... you come see the rental unit sign the contract face to face , hand over first , last and deposit ..... and get the keys ... it is not unfathomable to think at some point in the future - tomorrow or months from your move in date , that some one will return .....

there are lots of "snowbird" type homes

so what is your reaction you are in YOUR RENTAL that you have lived in for a month , and the real owner comes to town for the season from new york , middle of the night , breaks glass to get in his home , you are sleeping and armed .......

"man...you need some work son..."--------------------------- dont we all , dont we all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links