Self defense in Germany

This is a discussion on Self defense in Germany within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; These recent posts in this thread bring to mind the great high tech range in the city of Ulm. This video has been posted before ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Self defense in Germany

These recent posts in this thread bring to mind the great high tech range in the city of Ulm. This video has been posted before but here it is again and worth watching:
    Willkommen bei MSZU - Müller Schiess Zentrum Ulm | MSZU - Müller Schießzentrum Ulm

2. Remove Ads

It's nice, but the range fees are to high. Probably a good one time experience. I think they just want the people to test and buy guns.

Believe me: the average german shooting range looks much more raunchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyq90LEZe4k <-- The rifles in the "special room" cost an avergae of 30.000 Dollars and are up to 100.000 Dollars. This is how they can afford an indoor trap range.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    These recent posts in this thread bring to mind the great high tech range in the city of Ulm. This video has been posted before but here it is again and worth watching:
    Willkommen bei MSZU - Müller Schiess Zentrum Ulm | MSZU - Müller Schießzentrum Ulm
    The average german shooting range looks much more raunchy. This one is like a shooting country club.

ClickHandler.ashx.jpgNothin' like a good piece of hickory...

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    That wasn't my experience when I was there. Has it changed or is this to do with your particular area or unit? I bought a firearm easily, had a local range available and was able to go shoot pretty much anytime I wanted.
    German laws tightened up significantly about ten years ago, after a kid swiped one of the shooting club weapons and proceeded to shoot up a school with it. When I was there in the late 80s, I had my German Jagdschein, or hunting license, which was as close to an unrestricted permit as you could get at the time. Even those have been severely restricted now. U.S. forces, and those covered by the SOFA (status of forces agreement) are pretty much prohibited from bringing or carrying firearms.

VIP Member
    I am SPOILED. I have multipal licenses and am good to carry in 40+ States. I have carried for decades and it would be strange to not carry.

Recently returned to the States after spending three years in Germany and found it to be one of the safest places I've ever lived. Never felt threatened or the need to carry a weapon even if I could. Traveled all over Europe with the same result. With the rare assaults in big city subways, no reports of shootings, etc like you find in Anytown, USA. Most of these seemed to occur late night.

Check out "The Local" website; It's German news in English. Good luck and enjoy your travels!
    wmhawth and Wunderneun like this.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

I read The Local nearly every day.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Labhunter View Post
    Hi all,

I have just accepted a job in Wiesbaden, Germany with the Department of Defense. I can't wait to go. As I look into my self-defense options, I am not finding a lot of good things other than pepper spray which can be carried to protect against animals only. Pocket knives are allowed but not if they can be opened with one hand. From what I have read so far, bringing any firearms with me is a nightmare of red tape. Has anyone else dealt with this problem before? Thanks in advance.
    I lived in Wiesbaden for two years in the Hainerberg military housing area. It is a wonderful city with a lot to see and do. Everything else is only a few hours away. Enjoy your stay. You may never want to come back. Learn to speak German, they appreciate you trying no matter how badly you butcher it up.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRuger101 View Post
    Recently returned to the States after spending three years in Germany and found it to be one of the safest places I've ever lived. Never felt threatened or the need to carry a weapon even if I could. Traveled all over Europe with the same result. With the rare assaults in big city subways, no reports of shootings, etc like you find in Anytown, USA. Most of these seemed to occur late night.

Check out "The Local" website; It's German news in English. Good luck and enjoy your travels!
    I agree with everyone else. Germany is a super safe place to live and travel with the exception of some parts of Berlin and some big cities.

Worst violence you have to contend with is drunken fighting or aggressive behavior by street people or wannabe thugs, but even that is avoidable.

I was stationed in Germany when the SOFA changed- they made it a pain to have my pistol in country and it had to leave as soon as my orders ended- even if I stayed there for another tour it had to go back stateside. The German government is a bureaucratic nightmare that will make your head explode.

Their states have their own rules so you'll have to look at that- you're looking for the state of Hesse. I was stationed in Bavaria and lived in Saxony for a while and they have very different rules on knives, dogs, and a whole bunch of other things.

There are some really bad parts you want to stay clear of all the time and other parts that can make you nervous but are okay. Stay away from the predominantly Turkish areas and don't ever mess with Turkish women- the men can get a little stabby.

Also, you don't want to get caught up in a neo-nazi rally, the rioters are scary enough but if the polizei show up it can get scary in a hurry. The cops are scary.

SA will be your friend and I had a great time each time I lived in Germany.

Like QK Shooter said a walking stick or cane would be a good option. A good tactical light and a compact fire extinguisher are also viable options. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Traveled all over Europe with the same result
    Just stay away from the stupid areas in the big cities. There is plenty of danger if you go floating around without any SA.

Other than the above, this thread is over 2 years old, so..............
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Going to ports of call, as I am in the Navy, I have always carried my Surefire 6P Defender with me as my bare minimum for self-defense. Other than that, I have never carried any other off-duty personal defense weapon overseas. My tactical folding knife remained on the ship and my firearms remained at home, locked up until I return.
    I carry the Surefire 6PX Defender on me every day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links