Glad to be back in the land of the Bill of Rights!

This is a discussion on Glad to be back in the land of the Bill of Rights! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone! Getting caught back up on the forum after a 10-day mission trip to Rwanda. We had an amazing time, the culture is so ...

Thread: Glad to be back in the land of the Bill of Rights!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Glad to be back in the land of the Bill of Rights!

Hi everyone!

Getting caught back up on the forum after a 10-day mission trip to Rwanda. We had an amazing time, the culture is so much different than here in the states. For anyone who is unfamiliar, Rwanda is in the middle of Africa near Lake Victoria; it's a very small country (maybe 150 miles across) that experienced a gut-wrenching genocide in 1994. Because of that, weapons of all types are restricted and illegal to carry.

So for the last 10 days I have been dependent on my kenpo skills and situational awareness. I never felt unsafe, but was a little more careful with interactions than normal. :)

The other significant item I noticed was that they have a presidential election coming up on August 8th, and they are concerned about violence. So they have beefed up police presence in the rural areas to keep everyone calm. (we were working in the Nyagatare sector for anyone who might know Rwanda) That presence included random checkpoints on the road that consisted of two police officers, one of whom was carrying an AK. Some were nice, some looked like they had been used as boat oars. I also saw security guards in the capital city of Kigali carrying 12 gauge shotguns that look like they were purchased in 1995 and last cleaned in 1997.

Anyway, I am glad to be back in the land of hot showers and the Bill of Rights. I will be leaving my home today while recovering from jet lag (31 hours of flying to get home) and carrying my faithful Kimber.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    'Glad you're home safe. Thank you for your service.

Welcome back! Thanks for helping our neighbors on this giant ball of chaos.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Welcome home....

It's sad to hear they've banned weapons...that means regular people can't defend themselves when the next wave of violence hits. I believe a majority of the deaths were caused by blade weapons, not firearms.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Welcome home.

Glad you're safely back home!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Sad to hear that you'd think they would have learned something there last time around or by what is going on in Sudan. Glad you are home safe and sound
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links