BG demands you open your gun safe for him - Page 2

BG demands you open your gun safe for him

This is a discussion on BG demands you open your gun safe for him within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A choice between security and invisibility..................

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BG demands you open your gun safe for him

A choice between security and invisibility...............

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I will not open it.What happens is what happens. I never comply with criminals.

Take him to the empty decoy safe..

Loaded double barrel shotgun sits right inside the door in the easiest spot to grab it.... ... the way the safe sits, they would not see it coming.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think this is a very interesting question. I do think about it all the time. While I would like to think I'm prepared if it is just me. One just never knows how you will really act under pressure. I have a backup gun in a holster under my desk next to safe. My plan would be to unlock and step aside to my desk. While the BG is in awe to the stash he thinks he is about to grab I will grab me loaded and locked Ed Brown 45 and pop!

But here is the real problem. I'm on road and my wife or kids are at home. They do not know how to open it. This will lead to anger and punishment on behalf of the BG. Then I expect one of them to call and tell me they are needing the combo. I can't think of anyone that would have any solution other than give up the combo to hopefully save them. That is a guaranteed lose lose.

I liked the idea of a panic button and I will install one next to safe but even that relies on time. Time of police response. No way to win.

Wish the wife would learn to use that 12ga. And keep it near. Also a bigger dog couldn't hurt! Great question as it helps us all think and be better prepared.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I'm always armed at home, so if he's already at the safe, I'm dead...therefore, I'm not opening it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I keep a handgun in reach at home and a 12 ga in the bedroom. Safe is in a storage room and only one person can get in front of it at a time. I keep a loaded handgun inside, but thinking about this question I am going to mount a holster with the loaded gun on the inside of the door at waiste level so that the door only needs to open about 4 inches for me to draw it. If only one person at a time can stand in front of it, someone behind you couldn't see you pull it (open with right hand and pull with left. You could shoot while turning or shield it from view with your body and nail him when he takes position at the safe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Agree with retsupt99. If an intruder is in my home and I am home, one of us must be dead. The moment of truth never makes it to the safe, it's at the door or window.

My grab gun is currently on my right hip. I had a loaded one in the safe for a long time. Then I sold it to buy my wife a "real gun" (her words). From the front door to the safe I would have to pass 4 guns besides the one I am wearing. I don't see it getting that far.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsor
    Every gun in my safe is loaded. I also woke up with this by my side.

My wife woke up with this by her side

The key would have been broken off in the dial if it had gotten that far (which it won't). The alarm system would have been defective to allow them entry anyways and the dog deaf.
    Nah, isn't going to happen and they will never get my guns.

Guy

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

......Fight.

With anything i can, till i can't or he's dead.

No fancy tricks or super hidden guns that i have illusions of getting to and turned around before getting shot/ stabbed/ beaten/ ect.
    But, I want to live a lot more than he thinks. I will get shot, injured, or killed no doubt.

But they will have to fight me and pay little to no attention to my wife... creeping her .45 out of the bed frame.

( ..and they thought I put up a good fight?!)
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have thought about this possible scenario and while I certainly don't announce to the world I have a lot of guns at home in a gun safe its almost impossible for some people...be it friends, kids friends lets say to not know you own guns and possibly tell others you really do not wish to know. I do keep several loaded weapons or grab guns in the safe ready for action. So if the situation ever presented itself I would have to first try delay tactics but if BG's are holding family members it’s a very tough call. Since I would likely feel they would harm the family members anyway I don't think I would open it and just fight to the death if needed with whatever means possible. After I arrive home every day from work the first thing I do is unlock the safe so I have access to all my guns and I am usually armed at home anyway. It is something to be cognizant of for sure, but having a gun safe is still the best idea if you own firearms.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

/\/\.....I had to get after my step-daughter for showing one of her friends some of my stuff....I was slightly irrate to say the least, lol.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Im armed when Im out of the house, Im armed when Im in the house and my EDC is within arms reach while I sleep or shower. If the BG got the drop on me, Im most likely dead already... Therefore I wont be opening the safe anytime soon. BUT for the sake of this thread, I will say that for some off-chance I was not armed while home and was "at the mercy" of said BG, Ill fight with what I have within reach, hes NOT taking my guns because he might well kill me with one or with his own. My Wife/girl friend, though Im single at the moment, but I would hope she is like minded and would be armed or fight back...
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I also keep one loaded in the safe - if I'm opening the safe, I intend to reach for it. However, opening that safe is the last option for me. Chances are, things are gonna get bloody and the safe will stay closed.
    I don't like the idea of opening the safe not even to get a loaded gun out... all bets are off once that safe is open.. the BG could execute you then take your firearms and go on a killing spree starting right after he tortures and beats and _______ your wife and family....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links