BG demands you open your gun safe for him

This is a discussion on BG demands you open your gun safe for him within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is regarding your gun safe in your home. Let's say you've done a great job keeping quiet about the fact that you have a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

This is regarding your gun safe in your home.

Let's say you've done a great job keeping quiet about the fact that you have a gun safe. It's out of sight in your home, you don't talk about it in public etc. However, one day you are alone at your home and you find yourself "at the mercy" of a BG in your home who has found your gun safe and wants you to open it.

What do you do? What would your wife do in the same situation?

Do you have some sort of plan or protocol in place to buy yourself some time to deter the BG?

For instance:

1-It's not my safe, it's my brother's, I don't have/remember the combination.
    2-Give the BG a pre-printed official-looking paper that is actually a fake combination and let him try and "open" it.
    3-Have a discrete panic button near your safe that will siren and/or dial out from your home security system.
    4-Tell the BG it is on a time-lock and can't be opened right now; add a decal to look authentic

What's your plan? What do you think you'd do?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Haven't thought about it...

But I do keep at least one gun loaded in the safe for a reason.

At this point, its a full-blown home invasion....deny, delay...whatever it takes....but they are not getting in the safe. The key (that locks the spin dial) might get broken off in the lock...

Someone might get stabbed, hit, beaten before they get shot.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

First, I am armed at home so if we're at that point things have gone really bad. Second, as stated earlier I keep a hide out in the safe and my safe is in a place where two people can't get to it at once.

Definitely a loaded hideout in safe...a panic button attached to security system if available is a very good idea. I agree with SIGguy229. Thats a time for what I term, and "explosion of warfare". You dont wann give them more weapons to kill maim or otherwise your family and others. If you have the ability to possibly defend your self and home and family....its time to throw down and TCB.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would probably be armed while at home, so basically I would be delaying until I could strike his arm to move pointed gun away from my family and I could draw and fire. Maybe I might act frantic and tell him I can't remember the code with him pointing a gun at me. That will probably have him get frustrated and move closer to pressure me more (thinking I'm just BS'ing), moving into arm's reach to make the drop. If he shoots me he's likely not getting into the safe.

Administrator
    Delay, delay delay. At this point, if he wants in the safe, he needs me a whole lot more than I need him. Or just do like everybody else and keep a grab gun just inside the safe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    if he is prepared to hurt me or my family if i dont comply i have no reason to believe he is not prepared to hurt us if we do...my wife and i have been over this scenario...

VIP Member
    I also keep one loaded in the safe - if I'm opening the safe, I intend to reach for it. However, opening that safe is the last option for me. Chances are, things are gonna get bloody and the safe will stay closed.

VIP Member
    Like most of you, I have a grab gun in my safe. I know a guy who owns a convenience store and he had a grab gun in his convenience store safe. One night after closing he got marched to his safe and demanded to open it. For affect, the BG who was directly behind him, fired a shot over his head into the wall. The guy remembered his gun in the safe and he told me since the muzzle was directly against the back of his head, from behind, he felt he would have been shot dead had he made any suspicious move at any time.

A "smart" BG might kill you at the moment the safe door cracks open (he no longer needs you); or let's you live, but moves you aside, away from any potential weapon at the moment the latch unlocks taking you away from your grab gun.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I think about this all the time.....never came up with a good solution as I figure if it came down to this, the BG would probably
    already be holding my GF & threatening to kill her first if I did not open the safe.

I keep several loaded guns in my safe, it has the pistol holder that hangs on the inside of the door & the
    closest pistols are loaded among others..
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Ex Member
    Well IF he can get past the dogs, alarm, and triple locks on doors and windows he deserves it.

You make your move when you perceive you have the greatest advantage.
    That's one reason I don't have a gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You make your move when you perceive you have the greatest advantage.
    That's one reason I don't have a gun safe.
    So that you are not forced to open it?

-Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    So that you are not forced to open it?
    So that there is no evidence of a significant amount of weapons.

/\/\....ahhh, the old hidden room trick!

-Will Rogers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links