Back in the Sandbox with memories of a great leave

This is a discussion on Back in the Sandbox with memories of a great leave within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well guys I have completed my yearly leave and I am back in the sandbox. I first want to apologize to the members here that ...

VIP Member

Well guys I have completed my yearly leave and I am back in the sandbox. I first want to apologize to the members here that I was going to meet up with, I had great plans and intentions but they just didnt work out you think a month is a long time until you try to squeeze everything into it you want to do.

For the first time in my life I carried concealed with a permit I have always worn a badge so never had to worry about any problems. Found myself looking for signs at entrances and so on. Met up with a lot of former coworkers at the PD and courts felt foolish going back to put the Para in the saddlebag, Government building and all, they ask me what I was doing and finally said geez just come in and visit.

Carried everyday and night that I was home mainly the Para Carry 9 in a Galco Royal Guard and the Springfield TRP in a Raven Concealment rig. I cannot stress enough the importance of a quality holster when carrying no matter what the brand it makes all the difference in the world.

Got to do two range dates one with the wife and kids where we got to shoot all the new toys. The Sig 522 and GSG-5 got a good workout with the kids and fed everything without a problem. The 556 rifle was above and beyond my expectations and performed without problem. It took me two days to mount optics and sort through firearms and accesories that I had purchased over the last year.

Handgun wise my wife shot her Sig 238 which had no hiccups at all even with Blazer ammo and was amazingly accurate, the S&W Airweight performed as expected, I did forget how stout the recoil could be in one of these little guns with a heavy load.

Both the the Para and the TRP shot ragged one hole groups out to 15 with the TRP extending that out to 25 yards. The trigger on the Para took some getting used to but after a couple of mags it was no problem to complete rapid fire drills or start the hammer back and then stage it for accuracy work.

Overall I am very pleased with the firearms, optics and ammo that I puchased. I will continue to stockpile for the next leave and hopfully will be able to get out to the range more.
    Last edited by tacman605; August 3rd, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gald you enjoyed your time home. It's what makes it all worth it--friends. Now keep your eyes open and head down.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Leave is always great, and goes by way too fast, glad you enjoyed it and had fun with friends and family. Stay safe over there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks for the post and the great pics! The rifles look pretty awsome. Are those before and after pics, or two rifles?

Thanks again for the post and your service to the country.

VIP Member
    Those are two seperate rifles. The first is a GSG-5 .22 cal copy of an MP5 subgun and the second is a SIG 522 with a Leupold CQ/T optic, the .22 cal copy of the SIG 556.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Thank you for your service to your country and all of us.

I completely understand the attitude of your former LEO coworkers letting you 'break the law' but I do not condone it. Another example of some being 'more equal.'
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ex Member
    Gad you had a good time, but get 100% of your attention to where you are at now. Distractions and combat zones don't mix. Stay safe.

thank you for your service and be careful out there. oh, ya, nice firearms!
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Good luck CYA
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad you had a good leave! Now that you're back in the sandbox, STAY SAFE and ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SIX....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thank you for your service, I'm glad you had a good time stateside and I wish you best of luck in the sandbox. Stay safe.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thanks for your service to our country and stay safe.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

Glad you enjoyed the short break, but thanks for all you do and hurry back!
    Stay safe!
    Nice collection, by the way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Thanks for your sacrifices for us. Now-as others have said: Keep your head on a swivel--good SA is a lifesaver.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Links