Beach Trip!

This is a discussion on Beach Trip! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well Vacation came and went and I thought that I would share my experiences. I went to Atlantic Beach on the North Carolina Outer Banks. ...

Thread: Beach Trip!

Beach Trip!

Well Vacation came and went and I thought that I would share my experiences. I went to Atlantic Beach on the North Carolina Outer Banks. I had a great time with my family. For the ride down and back I open carried my Glock 19 in a Blackhawk! Serpa CQC at 3 o'clock. The shorter grip on the 19 is more comfortable sitting in my car than the 17. The 17's grip pushes and twists the holster when I sit down. On the other side at 8 o'clock I had a pouch for two mags (17 round with +2 extentions) and I was also pocket carrying my P-3at. I brought my Kel-Tec SUB-2000 folded in one of my suitcases with six more 19 round magazines in a large pouch and two 33 round mags in my Laptop bag's outer pocket. The mag in the 19 and the ones on my hip are loaded with HydraShoks and all of the others are loaded with FMJ. I took the SUB-2000 because of the small size when folded and was able to conceal it from other people from the car into the house. I had thought about bringing a shotgun instead, but I have no carrier, yet, that doesn't "scream" long gun. Also with the the Glock 19 and the Kel-Tec SUB-2000, I could share mags and ammo with both. (With the exception of the one mag that was already in the 19)

Well. That is the basics. Any suggestions for next time? Something I could have done better?
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    no Mr. Bond, I think you have things well covered
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I don't recall any Pirate attacks anywhere near North Carolina,too bad you can't rent a Bradley they float
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

AzB
    Did you have a way to lock up the extra guns when you weren't carrying?

What did you do when you went to the beach?
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Did you have a way to lock up the extra guns when you weren't carrying?

What did you do when you went to the beach?
    Were we stayed was owned by a friend and there was a safe there that the owner gave me a key to use for storage. While at the beach, I CCed my P-3at on the day I didn't go in the water. My sister was also there and the day that I did go in the water she didn't and she was ccing her LCP.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Senior Moderator
    Is there a reason you needed an arsenal with you for your beach trip?

My husband and I take MANY guns with us on our vacations to see my family because we shoot a lot when we go but if we are going some place else we'll take a firearm each and maybe two or three magazines, tops.

Did you go shooting or anything?

I can't fault you for being (over) prepared. As they say, better to have it and not need it........

I actually looked for a range while I was down there, but could not find one. Compared to what I left at home in the safes, two pistols and a carbine is hardly an arsenal. My Idea with three firearms is I could share with the other members of my Family that was with me, such as both of my parents were with me. My sister was there as mentioned before, but she had her LCP and her XD 9mm (She just has to have an external saftey.)

I usually just take my Glock and an extra mag along for short day trips. At times, I may just tuck my SP101 in my IWB/SOB...even that's plenty of fire power for me.
    I wouldn't take as much stuff as you did for such a short trip simply because I would NOT want to leave it in the vehicle while I'm out and about.
    But whatever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I usually just take my Glock and an extra mag along for short day trips. At times, I may just tuck my SP101 in my IWB/SOB...even that's plenty of fire power for me.
    I wouldn't take as much stuff as you did for such a short trip simply because I would NOT want to leave it in the vehicle while I'm out and about.
    But whatever works for ya'...

The wording in my first post might have mislead you, and I apologize for that. We were there for a week. The sentence "For the ride down and back I open carried my Glock 19 in a Blackhawk! Serpa CQC at 3 o'clock." was just for clarification about the two rides and I didn't mention that they were 5 day in between. Sorry. For Day trips I usually carry as you do.

Links