Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? - Page 3

Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

This is a discussion on Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cops take prowlers seriously, in my experience. That is an elaborate and involved prank - if that's what is was. The figure darting to lie ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

VIP Member
    Cops take prowlers seriously, in my experience. That is an elaborate and involved prank - if that's what is was. The figure darting to lie in wait may not get the last laugh of a short prankster career.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Cops take prowlers seriously, in my experience. That is an elaborate and involved prank - if that's what is was. The figure darting to lie in wait may not get the last laugh of a short prankster career.
    Eh, I called at 4am a couple of weeks ago for two guys with flashlights tromping around in the alleyway behind my place and then crossing into the neighbor's back yard. Response was ONE car with a spotlight up and down the street twice. If that's taking prowlers seriously.......

In all honestly, if nobody is bleeding you can't get much more than that around here.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I also agree that if your gut says it was more than a prank, it probably was. I would find the door knocker thing to be a prank, but what's up with the side doorknob too??? Eh, it's not something I would gamble with either, but I'm kinda surprised that you got that big of a response from your LEO. Here they would say "well an officer can drive by" .......
    And yes, some people do have door knockers, but they are usually just decorative. I don't know of anybody that actually uses them. hehehe

Motion sensor and/or daylight sensor lights are your best friend, yep.
    I have purchased, but not installed a dusk-to-dawn fixture for my front porch light, so I just leave the steady-on lamp on constantly. I use a CFL bulb in it so I definitely think the pennies of electricity that it's costing me is worth it!!
    I not suprised at all. Once he told the dispatcher he had a gun, I'm sure they wanted to get there before either he or the unknown persons got shot. With the cops, saying gun, is like saying fire in a theater, they don't screw around at that point.

Smartly done. When under apparent active threat like that, there aren't a lot of choices, and the better course is going to be simple, focused actions that you've trained for a hundred times. Kudos to both of you for managing that well.

You've got a family and child to ensure make it through. Glad to see you stayed inside, hunkered down. With that jiggling door knocker and 100+ ft of line attached, I'd say it's highly likely (almost certain) that you were being set up to be lured out of your home as a prelude to a home invasion. Imagine, 1hr later with knocking from the porch in which you can't see anyone, so you open the front door and come onto the porch to see who was there ... and poof! Invasion from three thugs hiding just out of sight. You thwarted that via (a) remaining in the house; (b) hunkering down; (c) calling police; and (d) not moving until police had surrounded your home and ensured it was clear.

Changes: photo/motion lighting; change-of-pattern lighting and "noise makers" for inside the home, to simulate people seeming to be at home; a few "alarm" sensors around key areas of the property and yard, to notify you of people prowling close to the home; possibly, low-light camera gear at the front and rear entrances, at one or two key corners. As well, ensure your wife can manage a pistol and shotgun too. In a true invasion, it might well become necessary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad you posted, this brings up a very real threat possibility. You could've been rushed, taken over, etc. (robbed? raped? murdered?) Stay alert, never open the door to unknowns without being armed, STAY ARMED.

Sounds like you did alot right (minus the time to get a weapon).

GM
    I think that you did everything right. Glad that it ended well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Lights are good.... I have ones that will activate via movement or heat ..... and that surprises some folks at times who approached my house for the wrong reasons and suddenly the light lite them up.

Sounds like you did fine, and acted smart in getting 911 as well as staying inside in a protected position (not knowing who, how many, etc. you may have to deal with nor what their purpose was). I would keep alert over the next 2 months personally to anything suspicious.

IT does sound like a means to lure you out of the house, and the "tall figure" .... was a bad sign. Since you didn't say your son's age, it's hard to tell if it was a teenage prank or something, but the timing is highly suspicious that it wasn't.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I would keep alert over the next 2 months personally to anything suspicious.
    Yes. You might want to seriously consider altering your normal schedules and behaviors over the next several weeks, until you're reasonably sure that it was a one-time event. If it was a prelude to a targeted invasion, whatever it was that drew them to you likely still exists. What you DON'T want to occur is to leave the house with your wife and child back at the house, only to find that an invasion has occurred and they're gone. If you're in a close neighborhood, it might be time to speak with each of the neighbors on your street, to inform them of the threat and to have everyone keep their eyes peeled for strangers. Something to consider, given the gravity of what has happened.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Since you didn't say your son's age, it's hard to tell if it was a teenage prank or something, but the timing is highly suspicious that it wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBang View Post
    Me my wife and 3mon old son

In Texas they could get shot playing their little prank,mischief during the night can get somebody killed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    You did good.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

That's a pretty stupid prank. Not smart to go creeping around somebody's house in the dark. Good way to get aerated.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    The kids these days ! The next thing you know they'll be tying fishing line to a flaming paperbag of dog poop.

Seriously, it sounds like you did good, and plenty of good advice offered to you here. Hopefully it was only a prank, if so, it was a good drill for you. Maybe time to beef up some "deterrents" around your house.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good job! a measured response to a potentially dangerous situation. Keeping the 911 dispatch on the line and recording what went on is excellent. The recording could have been your defense in a justified home shooting. Demanding the LEO's come out was also a good idea. And, I like the idea of photo, and motion sensor lights and possibly cameras. Digital cameras are dirt cheap and several manufacturers make surveilance devices that are easy to install and use. I'm changing some of my configuration...

Wow that is a scary situation. You did a good job there. Really seems like they were trying to get you outside the house for an invaision.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links