Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? - Page 4

Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

This is a discussion on Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a thought here..for those that say "it's probably just a prank"....How many of you are willing to bet your life and the lives of ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

Just a thought here..for those that say "it's probably just a prank"....How many of you are willing to bet your life and the lives of your family members on it PROBABLY being just a prank?...Just sayin.....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

There was a case a while back, a 16-year-old named Mark Drewes in Boca Raton was shot and killed by a homeowner as a result of this kind of prank gone wrong. The homeowner got a $750,000 judgement awarded against him, and he had to file for bankruptcy. A massive tragedy all around.

The homeowner, in a situation like this, doesn't know that the people skulking around his property late at night are playing a joke. The activity is not readily distinguishable from an imminent attack or burglary in progress. It's important that juveniles be taught that trespassing can have lethal consequences and that they risk being shot if they try to pull stunts like this.

That said, I had a recent situation where I thought someone was outside my home early in the morning and I had to get my weapon and flashlight and respond. Turned out to be nothing, but the drill gave me a very good run-through of my setup and revealed some problems that I have to address. So some good can come from false alarms and they can (and should) be treated as tests and learning opportunities.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

My current state of residence (Missouri) just extended "castle doctrine" to your property line.

Just sayin'........

You did damn good! And thanks for the tip, my porch light switch is next to the front door. I'll get a remote control for it ASAP.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    No critique necessary my friend. You did what you thought was right and performed all the necessary functions without over reacting and did not go outside. That's top-notch right there. I'm glad you and the family are ok, that's the bottom line here.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Good job. I am with CCW9, this was no prank. Stay on alert. The world is getting worse, and people are trying anything.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Scary situation. You did good.

I got Motion lights all around my house, if someone wants to prank my family and scare them, Ill just let both of my two male german shepards out
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Fishing line on the door knocker is new to me, prank or what ever else. I am glad all turned out well for you. One way to get cheap digital photos is with a deer trail camera, you can get one with a visible flash or the better way to for stealth is with an IR flash.

I don't care if it was a prank or not. The OP never knew it was a prank until long after the situation was resolved. If that happened to me, the prankster would be staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge. To further complicate the situation, the OP has a 3 month old baby. If THAT happened to me, the prankster would be staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge, with the safety off and my finger on the trigger.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Just a thought here..for those that say "it's probably just a prank"....How many of you are willing to bet your life and the lives of your family members on it PROBABLY being just a prank?...Just sayin.....
    I'm thinking we're at about a 50-50 chance of prank vs bad guy scenario. But prank or not, there's no way I'd take my chances in that case. I'd grab my M&P and hold onto it just long enough to get to the 12-gauge. Chamber a shell and react from there.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'm pretty sure it was a prank...I've heard of this one before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iOWXodc4iY

But I wouldn't have changed a thing with what you did, and would have handled it much the same way myself...I will always plan for the worst.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

I think you did an excellent job and it has made me reconsider our go outside fully armed to check things out when the dog starts going nuts. One door might have been a prank...two doors and there was probably something very bad waiting for you out there. Glad everything turned out alright! :)
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Used to do this same thing back in the early '60s. The string gave you a head start at homes with little cover or concealment. That was long before paranoid homeowners started shooting at kids doing this.

Then someone started ringing our doorbell. It took awhile, but we caught the culprit. My dog Elmer had learned to stand up and press the doorbell switch!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Again cant say enuff about having a dog.. my brittany (the runt that grew to 60 pounds and way taller than standard) isnt a guard dog by any means but has a deep enough bark to persuade most to steer clear.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links