Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? - Page 5

Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

This is a discussion on Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It sounds like a prank at first, but the long amount of fishing line and then having someone creep around the side of your house ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    It sounds like a prank at first, but the long amount of fishing line and then having someone creep around the side of your house doesn't really add up to prank. You also said there was a second line attached to your side door? Elaborate prank or elaborate distraction. Either way you did good staying inside where you had the upper hand. Say it wasn't a prank and they had made entry even though you didn't give in to your plan. You know your house you've got more power in this situation.

Here's an example of just how bad pranks can go wrong. I feel it's relevant to post here as it involves scaring a young woman with a fake home intruder.

I have no idea if this is real or not but it seems real to me. According to the caption at the start of the video, it's been introduced as evidence in a civil law suit so you can judge for yourself.

Real or not, it illustrates why I refuse to participate in stupid pranks.

http://horror.break.com/hot-chick-pr...horribly-wrong
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When I was a teenager, we discovered quite by accident that a house near to one of our friends had the exact same garage door opener code as our own house. Much hilarity ensued.

Some kids were having a prank.

Yes....pranks....teenagers and overgrown teens still having fun at others' expense. Times have changed, and folks take things more seriously than in days gone by. What used to be fun and pranks could get someone killed these days over "fun". Society has lost it's sense of humor for the most part unless it's on television or in the movies. Pranks (and Halloween is coming up)...........are a risk to the prankster these days. No sense in having fun if you never make it home to laugh about it. To all the pranksters out there......just think a little bit more about what you're doing and is it going to be worth it at the end of the day? Not so much a warning as a wake up call. Take it as you will. Being somewhat of a prankster myself as a teen, and being a few decades older now.......I can honestly see how times have changed....and how so-called 'accidents' may happen. Think twice.....live once.

Fishing line tied to door

This exact scenario happened to me on 11-03-10 at 4:00am. I see that you live in Texas. Me too, in the Dallas area. Coincidence? I think not. I also reacted exactly as you did. I found this thread after I Googled "fishing line tied to door". I (obviously) was not able to return to bed. LEOs also immediately asked me how old my kids are. (They're under 6.) I, however, know I was being lured out. The suspect vehicle was a 90s White Ford Tempo (or that crappy Mercury) sedan occupied by two males across the street.
    Halloween was three days ago. If it'd been then, I would've dismissed it.
    I'd love to talk with you personally if you're ok with that. If so, please eamil me at Russdshannon@yahoo.com. Please type "fishing line" in the subject line so I won't delete it thinking it's junkmail.
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    By the way: convincing the MRS that it was a prank would be an impossibility. She's a nervous wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Russdshannon View Post
    This exact scenario happened to me on 11-03-10 at 4:00am. I see that you live in Texas. Me too, in the Dallas area. Coincidence? I think not.
    Amazing. Trying that crap at night in Texas, where getting shot requires little more than that.

I also don't believe this sort of thing can always be brushed off as "pranks" by punks, kids. But then, I'm fairly circumspect with everything like this, in which it might possibly be something designed and implemented for my expense. Particularly at 4am when you see multiple full-grown males in a car across the street. It would be wonderful to have decent video all around the house to see if any "support staff" were awaiting your coming out to investigate the noise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Kids are so stupid (and that means a lot seeing as how at 21 I'm not far from being a kid myself). Last year, my parent's neighbor called the police after multiple people started pounding on their first floor doors and windows at 3:00 am. The kids were caught shortly after and picked up for curfew violation. My dad told his neighbor that those kids were lucky they weren't one house over.

I mean, seriously... What are people thinking?

I don't believe this was a prank though. It sounds like you were being lured out and that is a scary situation. You reacted perfectly. No critiques here. Good job keeping your family safe!

Pranksters usually don't have enough motivation to go out "pranking" folks at 4 am. This sounds more sinister. Please keep us updated. Maybe you don't want to reveal, but would be interesting for me personally to know....are you a "prime target"? What I mean, is there anything other than the fact you have a doorknocker, that would make you appear to be a good target?

Is this an upscale neighborhood in which a 90's Tempo would be out of place?

Not trying to pry, just trying to learn the motivation of the criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Pranksters usually don't have enough motivation to go out "pranking" folks at 4 am. This sounds more sinister. Please keep us updated. Maybe you don't want to reveal, but would be interesting for me personally to know....are you a "prime target"? What I mean, is there anything other than the fact you have a doorknocker, that would make you appear to be a good target?

Is this an upscale neighborhood in which a 90's Tempo would be out of place?

Not trying to pry, just trying to learn the motivation of the criminals.

pranksters do work ealry morning when they've been drinking or smoking
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

If you noticed your home being cased for a possible home invasion , is there a family plan? We have one after trouble here. One of my concerns is that if police do manage to arrive early enough to find perps in vehicle. Then technically they have committed no crime yet and will likely be only be detained to check for warrants. We had a known burglar(ex con) who had been watching us for many months. He and two others finally made their move when they saw me and my kids leave for hunting. My wife was home and she watched them knock on all neighbors doors , imho making sure there were no witnesses. Then sat adjacent to our home for awhile, before pulling in driveway. Main offender got out and approached house where my wife confronted him. Yeah not smart. He played stupid and left. Police said he committed no crime. I wish I had been here instead. Now we still get occasional visits. We are marked targets.Times are getting tough, we're gonna see more attempts all over. Every family better be beefing up security. Heck CA is set to release 40K criminals, they admit many are violent probably repeat offenders.Its getting crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdod View Post
    I not suprised at all. Once he told the dispatcher he had a gun, I'm sure they wanted to get there before either he or the unknown persons got shot. With the cops, saying gun, is like saying fire in a theater, they don't screw around at that point.
    I think you may be right. I am not advocating using the "G" word just to get cops to respond quicker, but in this case the OP had a reason and a right to be armed, and the police may put this call in front of something less critical. It's a shame that all calls can't be handled ASAP, but with public safety budgets being one of the first departments to be cut in hard times most departments are undestaffed.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    most departments are undestaffed.
    And underpaid.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Realfriend View Post
    This would make me want to get motion activated lights and surveillance cameras.
    This was my thought (video camera) for a long time. Anyway, the OP did everything correctly in my view. Good call to tell the wife to keep her paws off relocating the sidearm in the future.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links