Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

This is a discussion on Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Me my wife and 3mon old son pulled into the driveway about 9:45pm Sat night. About 10pm we were all in the master bedroom getting ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

Law called. Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker Sat. night?

Me my wife and 3mon old son pulled into the driveway about 9:45pm Sat night. About 10pm we were all in the master bedroom getting ready for bed when my wife said she heard the door knocker on the front door, then my lab began to go crazy. I of course was in my underwear and could not locate the g27 I just took off my hip. (wife had moved off of dresser to my nightstand) so I quickly grabbed the shotty and went to the front door for a look (did not open). Sure enough no one was there but the door knocker was steadliy at it. I looked out the window and saw a rather tall figure bolt towards the corner of my house. I then ran back to the bedroom and told my wife to call 911 and get the kid in the master bath. While she was on the phone with 911 I again looked out another window and saw a car across the street with its parking lights on. I then got the phone from the wife and set it on the table so I could talk to dispatch via speaker phone. The 911 operator told me it was probably a prank. I then quickly told him that I was armed, saw a suspicious person & vehicle and needed units sent over immediately. Meanwhile the door knocker was still steadily knocking.

Several minutes went by then the knocking stopped. About 1 min later I heard a loud thud next to our vehicles. I relayed this to dispatch. So I think to myself that I now have potential threats in 2 locations and decide to hunker down in the hallway in front of the bedroom with eyes on both locations. Several minutes later dispatch then told me to lay down my weapons because the deputies were out front. I met with the 4 deputies, who all had guns drawn, and explained the situation to them. 2 walked my property while 2 walked my upstairs since we had just gotten home.

Sure enough someone had tied about 100ft of fishing line to my front door knocker. There was also fishing line tied to the side door handle that we had just used 20min earlier.

I told the deputies I felt someone was trying to lure me out of the house since we had just gotten home. I then thanked all the officers who said they had other units on the lookout for the vehicle description I gave.

After the deputies left the wife was still pretty shaken up. I told her she did great and did exactly what I needed her to do, as we have discussed potential situations like this before.

All in all I learned a few lessons.

1 - Our day trip ran longer than expected so the porch lights were off. Still had perimeter lights that were on so I decided to install photo cells on porch lights this afternoon.

2 - Couldn't initially locate mr carry rig - wasted about 15secs looking before I decided to grab the shotgun. So I discuss with the wife not to move my firearms.

3 - Critique away

2. Remove Ads

You played it smart, you did not go outside and you armed yourself and called the police. You called it right on point #2 as well. Also the cells are good ideas. I have solar lights above my doorways, they have 8 hours of power when charging all day and they light up all my doorways.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    great job...getting 911 on the phone immediately was good thinking and keeping them informed was great followthru...keeping your head and staying inside was your best defense...

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Seems to me like you did fine. The solar lights are a great idea. Personally, my shotty would have been my go to in that situation, instead of my backup, but that's just me. I think you handled it as well as you should have.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Wow. That is flat creepy. In all honesty, you handled that better than I would have...

Distinguished Member
    Wow, that is a scary situation. I think you handled it well.

Too bad you don't have any cameras recording motion outside your home.

The shotgun was the good choice here. Sidearm is second fiddle in the HD orchestra.

No idea whatsoever about the fishing line stunt. Never heard of anything like that before.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

My first instinct would have been to go out and have a look around; will definitely reconsider that option in the future after reading this post. Thanks for sharing!
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Definately sounds like they were at the least trying to get the door open. You did great job except for the "where's my gun" moment. I'm sure that will be corrected in the future. Glad nothing happened but I would definately be on my toes.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    My first instinct would have been to go out and have a look around; will definitely reconsider that option in the future after reading this post. Thanks for sharing!
    +1. I ALWAYS go out when the dogs alert me. Looks like I was lucky.

Do you think BG were sitting in a vehicle just pulling the string and waiting for you to open the door, not see anybody and knock again? What % joking, what % up to no good?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    While this was certainly a scary situation I will bet it was "last few days of the summer break" kids pranking you.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

could be a prank, could be a set up for a push in or ambush. Who knows.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    could be a prank, could be a set up for a push in or ambush. Who knows.
    exactly

I thought prank initially until I saw a the tall figure darts toward the corner of my house. Combine that with the car out front and the fact that we had just gotten home....my gut was telling me it was something more than pranksters.

Administrator
    "Someone tied fishing line to my door knocker..."

Is that something new or just something I've never heard of? Never heard of it being done around here even as a prank.

BTW: Glad that it all worked out OK. You done good.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links