What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine?

This is a discussion on What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on using both rooms. you never know where the bg will be in your home and the bg may be between you and the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine?

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    +1 on using both rooms. you never know where the bg will be in your home and the bg may be between you and the saferoom.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    SNIP
    What is the scenario that requires the house key with a day-glo keyfob?
    SNIP
    According to the LEO at a NRA course I took it's to save your front door in the case of:

1) you just heard a "bump in the night" that wasn't a break-in

2) the BG came in some other way.

BTW -- this was preceded by a plea to not try to clear the house yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I gave up on making a safe room, and went ahead and made the entire 2nd floor a safe floor. The staircase can be shut off from the downstairs quickly with a gate.
    SNIP
    +1 might consider adding a motion activated flood light mounted 3/4 of the way up the stairs and pointed down the stairs -- so as to leave you in the shadows and any one at the gate well illuminated, as well as shocked when it came on.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Children do not wake to bumps in the night... At least in my experience. I would pick kids room if u have to choose.

Exclamation Master Bedroom for empty nester's safe room!

I don't have a kid at home anymore (she moved to New York yesterday to be an executive for high fashion. But I've always made the master bedroom the safe room. That's where a all the guns are and a sizeable chunk of ammo. Both inside a modified closet that has been made into a quasi-safe with double deadbolt locks and a hard reinforced door.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I don't have a kid at home anymore (she moved to New York yesterday to be an executive for high fashion. But I've always made the master bedroom the safe room. That's where a all the guns are and a sizeable chunk of ammo. Both inside a modified closet that has been made into a quasi-safe with double deadbolt locks and a hard reinforced door.
    What have you done to the walls of the closet to fortify them?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    What have you done to the walls of the closet to fortify them?
    Not much is needed. The house was built in 1936 and the walls are all poured concrete in most spots with this old lath/concrete stuff elsewhere. We renovated shortly after getting married 23 years ago (when we were young) and did much of the work ourselves. The interior demolition was awful! What a PITA to get through! If you were moving at crook speed, you'd need a huge team of guys swinging pick axes and sledgehammers to get anywhere quick. Then you'd also have to worry about the alarm and the two Newfoundland dogs not to mention, me and the Missus.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The house was built in 1936 and the walls are all poured concrete in most spots with this old lath/concrete stuff elsewhere.
    Sounds like my dream house. New home construction is about as durable against small arm fire as a wet paper bag. When we next move, we'll be looking for a real house, not one that may look pretty but underneath is made of toothpicks like the house we now have.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Sounds like my dream house. New home construction is about as durable against small arm fire as a wet paper bag. When we next move, we'll be looking for a real house, not one that may look pretty but underneath is made of toothpicks like the house we now have.
    OUR dream home: http://www.earthshelter.com/ Maybe we'll be able to build one of these when we retire. ZERO maintenance. 100% windproof, earthquake proof, fireproof, insect proof, and oh yes, bullet proof (at least to small arms fire). At least everything but the windows and if I'm really paranoid, that's fixable, too.

Not much is needed. The house was built in 1936 and the walls are all poured concrete in most spots with this old lath/concrete stuff elsewhere. We renovated shortly after getting married 23 years ago (when we were young) and did much of the work ourselves. The interior demolition was awful! What a PITA to get through! If you were moving at crook speed, you'd need a huge team of guys swinging pick axes and sledgehammers to get anywhere quick. Then you'd also have to worry about the alarm and the two Newfoundland dogs not to mention, me and the Missus.
    Awesome!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I gave up on making a safe room, and went ahead and made the entire 2nd floor a safe floor. The staircase can be shut off from the downstairs quickly with a gate. The gate is not unattractive and it appears to simply be a decorative gate for kids or pets.
    One option many people forget is an escape route. They lock themselves into a interior closet or bathroom forgetting they might have to get out in case of fire etc. Fire is a common way criminals try to hide a larger crime. I keep a fire ladder in each bedroom.
    SIXTO,

thats one of my ideas! can u show me a picture of the gate? i dont think its up to ur knees? but all the way up to the ceiling so no body can crawl thru right?

my idea was to have some strong doors with dead bolt. but a simple gate would be good enough

Make that hallway door a pocket door.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smit View Post
    Make that hallway door a pocket door.
    AND, make it a steel door with a solid core.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    OUR dream home: http://www.earthshelter.com/ Maybe we'll be able to build one of these when we retire. ZERO maintenance. 100% windproof, earthquake proof, fireproof, insect proof, and oh yes, bullet proof (at least to small arms fire). At least everything but the windows and if I'm really paranoid, that's fixable, too.
    ExSoldier, I love those homes, but unless their is a back exit made (which I'm sure folks like us would do), they defnitely make the one way in and out a reality.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    ExSoldier, I love those homes, but unless their is a back exit made (which I'm sure folks like us would do), they defnitely make the one way in and out a reality.
    Actually many of them are open ended on both ends and you can have multilevel entrances but you're correct, MINE if I ever get to build it will have a bunch of stuff like a tunnel that exits a distance away from the home and maybe on the other side of a hill. Plus I will have features like these in my home: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...t/4282305.html and http://hiddenpassageway.com/ and http://dornob.com/modern-secret-room...ors-new-trend/ or http://www.hideadoor.com/

VIP Member
    good topic

the debate/discussion of in your room vs your kid's room has merits and disadvantages for both choices
    I'm willing to bet that its contingent upon your own individual situation.
    Take mine for example. Single story house, 3 bedrooms, all in the same lone hallway which opens up into the living room with a short turn to the front door, kitchen/dining room on other side of living room with back door at area when living room transitions into the dining area.
    Master bedroom is at end of all with spare bedroom adjacent to it. across the hall is door to the kid's room. From my master bedroom door I can cover the entire hall and portion of the living room. If anyone wants us bad enough they gotta come down that hallway of fire.
    Master bedroom has my: Mossberg, Glock 21, Glock 30, S&W 642, and wife's Glock 26, with spare mags for the pistols. Also has both of our cell phones on chargers at night. One window which faces out front of the house to the street....where responding officers will be coming to....and we can see them. The door opening to the hall allows me to have shotgun on right shoulder since I'm right-dominant....I can present it from behind the wall/door and be in shooting position.
    Kid's room has one window facing backyard, door opening would force me to either expose a lot more of my body to shoot from my dominant side or shoot left-handed.
    As of right now....my master bedroom will be the room to be in.
    When the bump in the night happens, my plan is this: I get pistol in hand, dial 911 with the other and set the phone down on the bed, cover hall while wife gets kid and gets back in our room taking cover behind the dresser while holding her Glock 26, making the kid lay down on the floor. She gets the phone off the bed if possible and relays info. If she can't get the phone for some reason its an open line and dispatch will see my cell number on the system. If they have an open line or, hopefully not....gunshots/screaming, I know units will be coming. My info/address is in the system and they know if a cop is calling 911 the chances of this being a false alarm are pretty slim. I know its not typical but thats the way it will go for me.

I've been thinking about "fortifying" my spare room which is adjacent to the master and also the kid's current room. This spare room is my office/computer/hunting/shooting/supply/armory/work-related stuff room. I'm thinking about a steel door, and I mean steel that will stop everything short of a .50 or explosives. When this door is closed it is perpendicular to the hallway. That would provide good cover/protection, and this room has 2 windows--one to the backyard and one to the side of the house on the front yard side of the gate.....2 avenues of escape. This will be a work in progress.

Now for my perspective as a LEO.....If we hear people screaming for help or are told by dispatch that BGs are in the house and their is an imminent threat, the key thrown out the window will probably not be used. We will get in the house to assist the caller. Just some FYI that is probably true in most places around the country.
    Now if the caller is on the line and tells dispatch they are locked in the safe room, have thrown a key out X window and they want officers to come in to check it out...we will do so....but please give your exact location and say if all good guys are locked in the safe room. Don't come out until dispatch tells you to or you see officers outside that tell you its all clear.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links