What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine?

This is a discussion on What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 64zebra good topic Now for my perspective as a LEO.....If we hear people screaming for help or are told by dispatch that ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    good topic
    Now for my perspective as a LEO.....If we hear people screaming for help or are told by dispatch that BGs are in the house and their is an imminent threat, the key thrown out the window will probably not be used. We will get in the house to assist the caller. Just some FYI that is probably true in most places around the country.
    Now if the caller is on the line and tells dispatch they are locked in the safe room, have thrown a key out X window and they want officers to come in to check it out...we will do so....but please give your exact location and say if all good guys are locked in the safe room. Don't come out until dispatch tells you to or you see officers outside that tell you its all clear.

Thats what i was thinking...my house has 3 locks on the front door...i would want exactly what u said to happen in those situations...

i guess we should label each key so u know what is what, mines would be " storm door handle" " top lock" and finally " door handle"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    It became clear after the very first incident,
    What was your incident?

We bought our home from my mother-in-law. The boys were 4, and 6 years old. About 2am, my wife's younger brother (about 18) still had a key to the house, and let himself in, a little drunk, and fell over a chair. We startled awake, my wife called the cops. I went to get the boys to our room, and almost dropped one, and the other just slid to the floor and tried to go back to sleep. I wasn't pleased with my ability to handle the boys, and a firearm at the same time in the middle of the night. We discussed it the next morning, and decided to leave the boys, pull them to the floor beside us, and set up shop in their room.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

We bought our home from my mother-in-law. The boys were 4, and 6 years old. About 2am, my wife's younger brother (about 18) still had a key to the house, and let himself in, a little drunk, and fell over a chair. We startled awake, my wife called the cops. I went to get the boys to our room, and almost dropped one, and the other just slid to the floor and tried to go back to sleep. I wasn't pleased with my ability to handle the boys, and a firearm at the same time in the middle of the night. We discussed it the next morning, and decided to leave the boys, pull them to the floor beside us, and set up shop in their room.
    Glad it all worked out all right. Nothing like a surprise "dry run" to point out the failings of your plans.
    I bet the brother didn't repeat an entrance like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I bet the brother didn't repeat an entrance like that.
    Actually, he did.... a year or so later... similar entrance, but not quite so drunk.... he got part way up the stairs and stopped when I challenged him. He wore a silly grin until he saw the gun..... that was the last one... matter of fact, he hasn't been over her in many years.... he hasn't been invited, either.

Just sayin'
    64zebra likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

He wore a silly grin until he saw the gun..... that was the last one...
    That probably tends to "smart up" a lot of folks.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    Here's my thoughts... first sign of trouble, you have to go make sure your kids are safe and secure. Why risk having to herd them back across the house, keeping them covered, etc., with potential hostile(s) in the house? Get to where they are and hunker down.
    This.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

The only bad thing about the kids room is, how are u gonna store things u need?

do u have a small safe that u put stuff in there, and hope that the kids wont try to tamper with it and unllock it and place the contents some where else, or accidently jam the locks or something.

or if u dont store stuff in the kids room, u would have to bring everything u need with u on ur person to the kid's room. gonna have it in a bag to hang around ur neck? fanny pack?

by stuff u need, i mean like cell phone, the house keys, flashlight, extra mag.

I think if I could build a dream house, I'd build an upstairs with all bedrooms down one hallway. I'd put some sort of a gate or steel door there. Something that can't be kicked down.

In my current house, I'd like to make the master-suite a "safe-room." Basically, I'd just put in a re-enforced steel door/frame with deadbolts etc. I'm not looking for a Jodie Foster Movie style Saferoom that can withstand a Gang determined to get in. I'm looking more for something that will keep one or two burglars from getting to me or my wife/kids without waking me up/giving me some time to call police.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    I think if I could build a dream house, I'd build an upstairs with all bedrooms down one hallway. I'd put some sort of a gate or steel door there. Something that can't be kicked down.

In my current house, I'd like to make the master-suite a "safe-room." Basically, I'd just put in a re-enforced steel door/frame with deadbolts etc. I'm not looking for a Jodie Foster Movie style Saferoom that can withstand a Gang determined to get in. I'm looking more for something that will keep one or two burglars from getting to me or my wife/kids without waking me up/giving me some time to call police.
    Two feet away from that steel re-inforced door/frame is some awful flimsy sheetrock, lol......

....just messin wit ya, that sounds good to me, too.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

hehhe. Someone breaking through sheetrock should wake me up.

I just prefer not to have to run into some room after waking up. Seems like its easier just to secure the room I'll already be in.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Two feet away from that steel re-inforced door/frame is some awful flimsy sheetrock, lol......

....just messin wit ya, that sounds good to me, too.

It hadn't occured to me to use a kids room as the safe room but it makes sense. Now for the question, when i was groing up the kids bedrooms didn't have locks. While hopefully I have good decent children whats stopping an emotional teager from locking themselves in the saferoom (their bedroom)?

Wink Ahhhhh, those tender years....

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    It hadn't occured to me to use a kids room as the safe room but it makes sense. Now for the question, when i was groing up the kids bedrooms didn't have locks. While hopefully I have good decent children whats stopping an emotional teager from locking themselves in the saferoom (their bedroom)?
    When my daughter (now 29) was in high school, I used to tease her that I was going to reverse the locks on her bedroom door and lock her inside on weekends when the football team came calling (she was on the school dance team). But probably the best response to your question is to have an alternate means of entry like a spare key to the door. However her room was set up with teenage priorities in mind. Ours is set up with an eye to the tactics of survival.

I wouldn't use the daughter's room as the secure room. I'd use the master bedroom and sprint down the hall to drag her into our room in an emergency. I have done this for real in the past so I know it works. The guns, the ammo and the 2nd half of the team (wife with her 1911) are in the master bedroom. The secondary commo (cell phones) is there too. So are the alarm pad and the secondary line of defense (B-I-G Dogs).
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    When my daughter (now 29) was in high school, I used to tease her that I was going to reverse the locks on her bedroom door and lock her inside on weekends when the football team came calling (she was on the school dance team). But probably the best response to your question is to have an alternate means of entry like a spare key to the door. However her room was set up with teenage priorities in mind. Ours is set up with an eye to the tactics of survival.

I wouldn't use the daughter's room as the secure room. I'd use the master bedroom and sprint down the hall to drag her into our room in an emergency. I have done this for real in the past so I know it works. The guns, the ammo and the 2nd half of the team (wife with her 1911) are in the master bedroom. The secondary commo (cell phones) is there too. So are the alarm pad and the secondary line of defense (B-I-G Dogs).
    Yeah I figure its not the best idea to give a teen girl a deadbolt. lol

Re: What room for a safe room? Kids bedroom or mine?

Many good points made, but to answer the question at hand- the kid's room.

Now for my suggestion- Make a safe room out of the entire second floor. Put a solid door with a drop bar at top of stairs (don't trust a deadbolt). Close it and secure it every night. Set up a pepper spray system in the entire downstairs. First sign of intruder, set off pepper spray system via remote activation and dial 9-1-1. Most likely intruder(s) will leave as soon as pepper spray goes off. Be sure to tell 9-1-1 dispatcher about pepper spray system so LEO can be forewarned. It doesn't hurt to have your weapon of choice on the nightstand either!
    An armed society is a polite society.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links