My vacation Condition Orange moment - Page 2

My vacation Condition Orange moment

This is a discussion on My vacation Condition Orange moment within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You knew where you kids were, and what they were doing. That puts you ahead of a large majority of today's parents. You saw a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My vacation Condition Orange moment

You knew where you kids were, and what they were doing. That puts you ahead of a large majority of today's parents. You saw a potential situation developing and warned your son away from danger, all the while protecting your youngest. Good job all around in my book...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm assuming you're merely jesting because if you're not, how did you come to that conclusion?
    Because you think Hispanic = gang ?

prejudiced
    Semantics
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Because you think Hispanic = gang ?

Semantics
    Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Reality.
    yeah well your "reality" may cause some nut to shoot me for no damn reason, just for being black in the "wrong" place.

we've seen many times on this forum where things that appear sketchy actually turned out to be fine. add prejudice into the picture and you make people even more jumpy.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

yeah well your "reality" may cause some nut to shoot me for no damn reason, just for being black in the "wrong" place.

we've seen many times on this forum where things that appear sketchy actually turned out to be fine. add prejudice into the picture and you make people even more jumpy.
    Some "nut" may shoot you just because you're purple. That's not the point. Anybody that doesn't do some form of profiling is either not SA or is lying. Sorry if the truth hurts but you have society to blame.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I don't remember if I posted this before but I had a similar situation like this in a Shell gas station/Sadler's convenient store in the small town of Broadnax, VA. As I was about to return from my hometown of VA Beach toward Martinsville (lived there then as I was on assignment there) after a weekend visit, I noticed someone from the Outlaw Motorcycle Gang talking on a cellphone and almost got struck by a motorist on an SUV. OMG member confronts motorist as motorist remained apologetic inside the SUV. Glad it was resolved as the OMG member told the motorist to pay attention next time. I was observing the situation as I was behind the pump filling gas. I was also wearing my S&W Model 457 .45 at that time on a belt holster hidden underneath a photographer's vest. I didn't do anything but observe and continued my pumping gas as I do so since I was not in any danger and the 2 OMG members never turned their attention towards me. From this situation, it never hurts to be aware of everything around me regardless and being prepared to act if my life was in danger.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; August 19th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Some "nut" may shoot you just because you're purple. That's not the point. Anybody that doesn't do some form of profiling is either not SA or is lying. Sorry if the truth hurts but you have society to blame.
    I don't profile for SA, because then you may give attention to much to some and miss other things. not profiling doesn't mean you have no SA. I look with suspicion at EVERYONE and any situation, regardless of race. I could argue that people who profile based on race only have selective SA and therefore...bad SA.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I don't profile for SA, because then you may give attention to much to some and miss other things. not profiling doesn't mean you have no SA. I look with suspicion at EVERYONE and any situation, regardless of race. I could argue that people who profile based on race only have selective SA and therefore...bad SA.
    This is a typical one of your posts. Twist words and phrasing to suit you.

Nowhere did I say only profile and ignore anyone else. But to not give more attention to one or a group that fits a profile known to be more probable to be trouble, that would be bad SA.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I had just turned my attention from Mike to Gabe when I heard tires screech. I spin back around in time to see a large dark SUV back up slightly and jerk to a stop. Mike looks over at me with a sort of confused expression. I am motioning wildly at him to bug out as I stand helpless, waiting to see what happens next. I've got Gabe behind me now and no way I can cover that distance on foot in the time needed. I am carrying my 'vacation gun,' a 5 shot snub 38, OWB under an open Hawaiian shirt with two push-dump speedloaders in my pants pocket. Definitely not an urban combat weapon. I never even moved my hand toward the weapon, as I didn't see how I could have deployed it legally or properly.

Finally after a couple seconds Mike gets the idea and boogies out of there. I will mention at this point that the apartment complex rents to a variety of diverse socio-economic groups. The kids that Mike was talking to, that I did not know, were all Latino. So, I am expecting some kind of MS-13 gang to come pouring out armed to the teeth (prepare for the worst). About the same time the driver's door opens and a crazed woman bolts toward the other kids, screaming, "What did you do to my daughter!?!?!?" She leaves her door open and I see two young girls in the SUV.

She takes one of the kids upstairs, the rest scatter, more screaming ensues. I call my wife on her cell and ask her to come out, since she knows the people there and I don't. The lady leaves, then returns and goes to another apartment but gets a little attitude put back on her by another Mom. Finally she huffs off and disappears.
    Now for an alternate version:

I had just turned my attention from Mike to Gabe when I heard tires screech. I spin back around in time to see a large dark SUV back up slightly and jerk to a stop. Mike looks over at me with a sort of confused expression. I am motioning wildly at him to bug out as I stand helpless, waiting to see what happens next.

Finally after a couple seconds Mike gets the idea and boogies out of there. I will mention at this point that the apartment complex rents to a variety of diverse socio-economic groups. The kids that Mike was talking to, that I did not know, were all White. So, I am expecting some kind of Neo Nazi or similar gang to come pouring out armed to the teeth (prepare for the worst). About the same time the driver's door opens and a crazed woman bolts toward the other kids, screaming, "What did you do to my daughter!?!?!?" She leaves her door open and I see two young girls in the SUV.
    Or how about this:

I had just turned my attention from Mike to Gabe when I heard tires screech. I spin back around in time to see a large dark SUV back up slightly and jerk to a stop. Mike looks over at me with a sort of confused expression. I am motioning wildly at him to bug out as I stand helpless, waiting to see what happens next.

Finally after a couple seconds Mike gets the idea and boogies out of there. I will mention at this point that the apartment complex rents to a variety of diverse socio-economic groups. The kids that Mike was talking to, that I did not know, were all Black. So, I am expecting some kind of Crips/Bloods or similar gang to come pouring out armed to the teeth (prepare for the worst). About the same time the driver's door opens and a crazed woman bolts toward the other kids, screaming, "What did you do to my daughter!?!?!?" She leaves her door open and I see two young girls in the SUV.
    Last but not least:

Finally after a couple seconds Mike gets the idea and boogies out of there. I will mention at this point that the apartment complex rents to a variety of diverse socio-economic groups. The kids that Mike was talking to, that I did not know, were all Middle Eastern. So, I am expecting some kind of Terrorists or similar gang to come pouring out armed to the teeth (prepare for the worst). About the same time the driver's door opens and a crazed woman bolts toward the other kids, screaming, "What did you do to my daughter!?!?!?" She leaves her door open and I see two young girls in the SUV.
    The key here, is the large, dark SUV not the party involved. The driver used the vehicle in a suspicious manner, and in this situation, I'd be expecting some sort of kidnapping/cold blooded something or other to happen.

I say, bravo Para, and I would have done the same thing. Sorry for the scare, and I am happy it turned out all right.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well I guess I better 'splain' myself a little more before I get accused of being the devil spawn of Adolf Hitler.

First off, bomber, bite me if you can read one thing I wrote and make such an offensive accusation. Even if I were a racist I would still retain my right to defend my children and think whatever I want so I see absolutely no reason for your comment. Perhaps you would have been more on point if you had accused me of being a murderous racist, but you did not.

You may note I wrote (prepare for the worst) after that statement just so it would not stand alone as a racist comment. If this had happened near my hometown, say in Norfolk, then it may have involved blacks. If it happened in a white 'ghetto' I might presume the SUV to have been occupied by meth heads or the Aryan Nation.

You may also note that I was no closer to shooting the occupants of that vehicle rather they be Osama Bin Laden's posse or a middle school soccer team. I was merely processing my options and waiting for more information.

I suppose if I lived in Texas I would be more sensitive to the nature of the Hispanic community and not be prepared for such as I anticipated. Where I live we have few Hispanics. I was out of my element. I think this accounts for more than anything else. I had been informed that the apartment complex was quiet. None of this matters when you children are potentially in danger. Maybe part of my assumption is based on popular culture. If this had been a script for a major motion picture, who do you suppose the writer would have come out of the SUV, the Avon lady?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

who do you suppose the writer would have come out of the SUV, the Avon lady?
    They can get pretty nasty you know
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

This thread is hilarious! Call me racist, but if I'm in a predominantly lower-class hispanic neighborhood the first thing I would be doing is looking for a new apartment complex. The same goes for neighborhoods with lower-class white, black, green ,blue or any other race of people. Statistically, more bad things happen in lower-class parts of town. Period. Just look on the website of your local PD of the reported crimes map for the past year. You won't be surprised.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Well I guess I better 'splain' myself a little more before I get accused of being the devil spawn of Adolf Hitler.

First off, bomber, bite me if you can read one thing I wrote and make such an offensive accusation. Even if I were a racist I would still retain my right to defend my children and think whatever I want so I see absolutely no reason for your comment. Perhaps you would have been more on point if you had accused me of being a murderous racist, but you did not.

You may note I wrote (prepare for the worst) after that statement just so it would not stand alone as a racist comment. If this had happened near my hometown, say in Norfolk, then it may have involved blacks. If it happened in a white 'ghetto' I might presume the SUV to have been occupied by meth heads or the Aryan Nation.

You may also note that I was no closer to shooting the occupants of that vehicle rather they be Osama Bin Laden's posse or a middle school soccer team. I was merely processing my options and waiting for more information.

I suppose if I lived in Texas I would be more sensitive to the nature of the Hispanic community and not be prepared for such as I anticipated. Where I live we have few Hispanics. I was out of my element. I think this accounts for more than anything else. I had been informed that the apartment complex was quiet. None of this matters when you children are potentially in danger. Maybe part of my assumption is based on popular culture. If this had been a script for a major motion picture, who do you suppose the writer would have come out of the SUV, the Avon lady?
    Man don't worry about trying to defend yourself. What you did and said was not wrong in any way. There are people on here that just want to start fights. Our SA is heightened around certain types of people and in certain parts of town for a reason. In the area I live in, it's seems like the local news channel shows the same black and hispanic mug shots EVERY NIGHT when describing the person that police are looking for following a shooting, stabbing, mugging, or rape. Does that mean that all blacks and hispanics are bad? Of freaking-course not. But are they typically the ones on the news every night commiting the violent crimes? Unfortunately yes in my area. So no wonder they have a special little alarm on my SA radar.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

VIP Member

Good post. When I read your OP, "racism" never entered my mind. What did cross my mind was a father concerned/protecting his son's and quickly running options and what-if's in his mind. Nothing wrong with that, you have good parental instincts, congratulations.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My point exactly!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links