My vacation Condition Orange moment

This is a discussion on My vacation Condition Orange moment within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the last several days I have been spending time in the Austin area of TX (Cedar Park) with the in-laws and then driving back ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My vacation Condition Orange moment

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My vacation Condition Orange moment

For the last several days I have been spending time in the Austin area of TX (Cedar Park) with the in-laws and then driving back home. The wife and kids got there a month ahead of me. So...

I was out at the apartment playground watching Gabe, my 3 year old. My 10 year old, Mike, was riding his scooter and talking to a group of older kids that he had befriended. Mike was a fair distance from me, probably 50 yards away and up a slight grade. He and the other kids were near the parking lot. Buildings on both sides gave a narrow view of the lot, as they run perpendicular to the lot.

I had just turned my attention from Mike to Gabe when I heard tires screech. I spin back around in time to see a large dark SUV back up slightly and jerk to a stop. Mike looks over at me with a sort of confused expression. I am motioning wildly at him to bug out as I stand helpless, waiting to see what happens next. I've got Gabe behind me now and no way I can cover that distance on foot in the time needed. I am carrying my 'vacation gun,' a 5 shot snub 38, OWB under an open Hawaiian shirt with two push-dump speedloaders in my pants pocket. Definitely not an urban combat weapon. I never even moved my hand toward the weapon, as I didn't see how I could have deployed it legally or properly.

Finally after a couple seconds Mike gets the idea and boogies out of there. I will mention at this point that the apartment complex rents to a variety of diverse socio-economic groups. The kids that Mike was talking to, that I did not know, were all Latino. So, I am expecting some kind of MS-13 gang to come pouring out armed to the teeth (prepare for the worst). About the same time the driver's door opens and a crazed woman bolts toward the other kids, screaming, "What did you do to my daughter!?!?!?" She leaves her door open and I see two young girls in the SUV.

She takes one of the kids upstairs, the rest scatter, more screaming ensues. I call my wife on her cell and ask her to come out, since she knows the people there and I don't. The lady leaves, then returns and goes to another apartment but gets a little attitude put back on her by another Mom. Finally she huffs off and disappears.

I didn't evacuate the area since Mike rode out of sight around some bushes, and I was not able to immediately get Gabe off the playscape. By the time I rounded the kids up it was apparent that the lady wasn't violent, especially toward me and mine, and I had not seen any weapons. So, the whole thing turned out to be a non-event for us but it did have potential, and highlighted some problems having two kids doing different things when the SHTF, as well as distance management. As far as firepower, I know I am at a disadvantage when I carry the snub on vacation, but no sidearm would have been ideal for this situation.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I felt myself feeling sick as I read your first three paragraphs. You started to describe my worst nightmare.

As a parent, we don't want to be over-protective. As my boy gets older, I consciously force myself to allow him further from my 'protective zone' so that he can spread his wings a little, but it's always a balancing act.

I'm relieved that everything turned out okay for you. As you said, I'm not sure what more you could have done to preclude something bad happening in that scenario. Your boy did good in his SA, and looking to you for direction. It's a good reminder for me to have these conversations with my son so that he knows what to do when something strange happens.

The price of awareness is what I refer to as the "occasional adrenalin anexity" that may accompany a potential incident.
    You were aware that something was going down and took appropriate action. Sounds like you did fine, given your choices at the time.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the problem with being aware is that non-events raise the hair on your back and give you a rush that the unaware never know...the good thing about it is it gives you a chance to think a situation through in the event it isnt a non-event...

my wife looks at me funny sometimes when i redirect us around a potential issue...then she thinks it through and realizes what could happen...although it may not happen...the thought of what could be can be frightening at times...

mkh
    Glad it all worked out and your son responded appropriately.

FYI - I don't have and don't recommend a "vacation gun". If I do step down form my Glock 21sf it is to my XD-40SC. Always carry enough gun.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...01206&t=h&z=20

Lets see if I have figured out how to post a map of the location.

OK can't imbed like G Maps says but link works. See the V shape, I was toward the top of the V (brown playscape) and Mike was near the bottom (parking lot).

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't really find fault in your reactions. At least your "early warning" system was up and running.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Glad it all worked out and your son responded appropriately.

FYI - I don't have and don't recommend a "vacation gun".
    I can't argue your logic. In fact what I do is against my own advice. However while on vacation I frequently find myself in such attire and situations that a larger weapon would be difficult to carry. I also chose to take the firearm I'd least likely cry over losing at the airport.

It's sad when our kids have to live in areas such as this. I worry about my oldest daughter and her son. They live in a good area, but they travel routinely to bad areas, and the son in law is not only oblivious, but anti as well.

When she was in school, she lived in apartments with questionable types around all the time. Scary stuff.

It really is scary when you are put into a situation that gets your SA all hyped up! these are the stories that you see on the 6 oclock news, but with a not so happy ending! you did fine. keep up the good work. I am glad it all turned out good.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I will mention at this point that the apartment complex rents to a variety of diverse socio-economic groups. The kids that Mike was talking to, that I did not know, were all Latino. So, I am expecting some kind of MS-13 gang to come pouring out armed to the teeth (prepare for the worst)..

sooooooo......you're a racist

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    sooooooo......you're a racist
    I'm assuming you're merely jesting because if you're not, how did you come to that conclusion?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm assuming you're merely jesting because if you're not, how did you come to that conclusion?

automatically assuming that because they are poor and mexican that they are gang members.

and no, i'm not jesting

Well, I didn't hear him mention they were poor Mexicans. Just latino decent. And while he may have been profiling and possibly even have a prejudiced eye does not make one a racist.

Racist is a term which is way overused and totally inappropriately in a vast majority of cases. A person who has a prejudice is not automatically a racist. I'd be hard pressed to find a single person who doesn't harbor prejudices about something. Does not make them a racist.

People throw that word out there at the drop of a hat and most of the time are totally out of line trying to label someone based on a single sentence uttered.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You might work on a code word for your oldest,that when he hears it stranger danger and to bug out for cover
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links