The Camp Chair Bag Ak/Carbine Carrier

This is a discussion on The Camp Chair Bag Ak/Carbine Carrier within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a project that I became interested in some time back. Many of the same cautions re theft of any firearm, while in the ...

Thread: The Camp Chair Bag Ak/Carbine Carrier

This is a project that I became interested in some time back. Many of the same cautions re theft of any firearm, while in the vehicle, apply here. In addition to its innocuous appearance in a vehicle (should be out of sight anyway), I saw it as a way to carry a long gun on foot, with the same innocuous appearance. An example of such use would be a disaster where one was put afoot, Katrina comes to mind. While it obviously would not stand up to a search, I think it would pass mild scrutiny.

It takes a few seconds to extract from the bag, but with a round chambered, the safety can be manipulated and the weapon fired while still inside the bag. I have not tested to see if the proximity of the bag to the extraction port would cause jams, as I did not feel like making a new bag. Someday I will. Even if firing from inside of the bag is a problem, it still provides a low profile way of carrying a long gun at hand with a relatively quick deployment time. In addition, the 30 hardwood dowel provides a means of dealing with lesser problems.

I use a 5 shot mag (modified to 10 shot) giving me 11 with one in the tube. This size also fits quite nice in the bag. After the eleven, I either transition or withdraw the AK and reload with a hi-cap.

The initial problem was that with the rifle in the bag it sagged badly in several spots. This, I felt, was not good and detracted from the concealment factor. I considered cardboard stiffeners. The problem was, that with them on both sides of the bag it was hard/impossible to work the bolt, safety or trigger through the bag. The solution was to sew a tube inside the bag and insert a 1 wooden dowel. This cured the problem. The tube is sewn inside of the bag adjacent to the carry handle.

While mine was made specifically for a folding stock AK, it could be used for any carbine that would fit in a 30 bag. I consider this a mission specific bag. It is not a, "carry it to the range", etc, bag, I have other means for those purposes . It is for when I need to carry the AK "low profile", ready to go.

Pic 1 Shows the bag, the chair and the AK.

Pic 2 Shows what it looks like in the bag, without modification.

Pic 3 Shows the modification to the bag.

Pic 4 Shows what it looks like in the modified bag.
    Attached Images

That there is pretty slick, every soccer mom should have one, looks very innocent but pardon the pun carry's a big stick.

VIP Member
    Good post. You've touched on why I'm struggling with getting an under-folder vs. an AR as my next rifle purchase.

Now that's a clever project - it's the first off body AR holster! Nice one!

My AMD-65 (Hungarian paratroop variant AK) with the sidefolding stock fits in a tennis racket bag
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Yep, I've been thinking of some sort of "hide in plain sight" type carbine case for a while.

I always thought those Blackhawk and Eagle Industries "discreet rifle cases" weren't very discreet. I mean, so it's a big rectangle instead of more rifle shaped. It's not like you don't know what's in there.

I did see Jack Bauer use one last season on 24 in a pretty urban setting in the streets of New York and it did, kind of look somewhat discreet.
    But only to hard core sheep.

I like your idea Guantes.

I've also seen AR carbines carried in pretty small day packs when you break the gun down and remove the barreled upper from the lower receiver. Of course with that set up, "some assembly required," but you could still carry your AR around in an urban setting and pretty darn discreet.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That is a great example of someone coming up with an idea and making it a reality. well done and I am sure that your idea is being copied even now by several members here.

Bravo Zulu!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

JD
    Administrator
    I saw a guy at an IDPA match that had an AK folder in a tennis racket case, now that was slick.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I saw a guy at an IDPA match that had an AK folder in a tennis racket case, now that was slick.
    Yup--see post #5 above

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

In a normal setting, I think that a tennis bag is very good.
    In a disaster setting, I see a camp chair as less curious than a tennis bag.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    A great idea! In typical man fashion, I had to go out to the garage and try it out and I must say, it works well on my AR with the stock fully collapsed. What I noticed is that a chair in the bag fills the bag out much more, so I tried putting a cardboard stiffener inside of the bag (I just happened to have some boxes of the 24 and 18 can variety laying around). The idea needs some more refining, I will have to call the neighbors to help with preparing the next set of boxes... Will post some pics when the idea has fully fermented, so to speak.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I bought a canvass duffel bag at Academy. I have my Saiga 7.62, extra mags and a first aid kit in there. Works very well and cost me about $10.

Links