Few Home Defense/Security Questions

This is a discussion on Few Home Defense/Security Questions within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, Any advice for the following is appreciated. 1. Where can I find a better selection of indoor light controls than what I see at ...

Thread: Few Home Defense/Security Questions

Few Home Defense/Security Questions

Hello,

Any advice for the following is appreciated.

1. Where can I find a better selection of indoor light controls than what I see at Home Depot & Lowe's? I'd like something that would allow me to turn on lamps in other rooms by remote from my bedside.

2. Do I need to worry too much about the lumens # for the outdoor motion sensor lights? Again, Home Depot stock good enough for this?

3. Are the interior camera systems worth it? Can't the criminals just steal the recording device? If they notice the cameras when possibly canvassing your place, doesn't that it make your home a more desirable hit for the more proficient criminals (hey, you must have some valuable stuff inside!)

4. Do you have any sort of audible indicator for when a gate opens to your backyard (if this applies). Something as primitive as a cow bell, or more high tech. I already have motion lighting by the gate. I've locked the gate before but I have trouble remembering to remove it for my yard guys who come regularly. And besides, it's barely chest high, so the gate is not a big deterrent anyway.

Thank you

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
    Hello,

1. Where can I find a better selection of indoor light controls than what I see at Home Depot & Lowe's? I'd like something that would allow me to turn on lamps in other rooms by remote from my bedside.

Google X10

2. Do I need to worry too much about the lumens # for the outdoor motion sensor lights? Again, Home Depot stock good enough for this?

Try them.

3. Are the interior camera systems worth it? Can't the criminals just steal the recording device? If they notice the cameras when possibly canvassing your place, doesn't that it make your home a more desirable hit for the more proficient criminals (hey, you must have some valuable stuff inside!)

Search ARFCOM forums for camera info, there is an extensive thread by an expert.

4. Do you have any sort of audible indicator for when a gate opens to your backyard (if this applies). Something as primitive as a cow bell, or more high tech. I already have motion lighting by the gate. I've locked the gate before but I have trouble remembering to remove it for my yard guys who come regularly. And besides, it's barely chest high, so the gate is not a big deterrent anyway.

Just motion light. Audio works when you are home, but you'll be jumping up every few minutes. You want a seismic intrusion detector. See Survival Blog's archives.

Thank you
    U welcum.

Distinguished Member
    Hello,

Thank you
    1. I use Insteon products for lighting control. Check them out at Smarthome.com. There is a variety of switches, plugs, controllers and software to control the lighting and other aspects even. But they aren't inexpensive. I have them throughout my condo and automated/controlled from a Mac Mini (there is widows software available as well). You don't need software to automate the lighting or configure them but it makes it a lot easier. I also think they have a plug in module with a built in web server that is an option as well. Another option that some have had success with is Zwave products. They communicate via RF instead of using the neutral house wire that Insteon does.

3. They can steal the recording device. If it's hidden and bolted down it's a lot harder. Some systems will upload video to the web so a stolen device doesn't mean no video. I have software running in my Mac that will upload video to a web server as well as store it locally.

Being in a condo I can't really help you with 2 or 4 as I have no practical experience with either. My big dogs will alert me if someone is afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    1. <snip>Another option that some have had success with is Zwave products. They communicate via RF instead of using the neutral house wire that Insteon does.

3. They can steal the recording device. If it's hidden and bolted down it's a lot harder. Some systems will upload video to the web so a stolen device doesn't mean no video. I have software running in my Mac that will upload video to a web server as well as store it locally.
    <snip>
    I have the Zwave stuff, found it at RadioShack when they had them on sale. Locks and deadbolts as well at the home automation. I can control remotely from my BlackBerry, my iPod, as well as from a computer. You can set a single command (remote click) to turn on just one light, certain light (ie. one room), or every light in the house. Forget to lock a door? Click a button and they all lock, and you get a confirmation on the remote that tells you if the lock was locked or not.

I have hidden camera that are recorded on hidden recorders as well as an upload to remote server.

I have a sensor that chimes in the house if someone pull in either of my driveways. The unit can have four sensors and have a range of about a half a mile (according to the box). Got it at RadioShack the same time that I got the Zwave stuff.

I haven't gotten in to motion detector lighting yet. I have some Zwaved right now, but not motion yet. I want to add motion, but still want to be about to manually control it as well.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Buy a network camera and configure it to email the photo's to a Gmail account when it detects motion. You'll have a nice picture of the bad guy before he realizes it. Gmail will happily store millions of photographs for you, and you can check them on your smartphone if you need to.

I have two cheap small Trendnet cameras (~$100) and an expensive Panasonic one ($500) hooked up to Wincam 7 software that monitors all three camera for motion, records locally and emails to Gmail for me as well. Total cost < $800.

You can also have it send pics to your cell phone, if you want to watch them robbing your house while you are away.

There are several alarms that the sound feature can be turned off, and will send a page to your cell phone when it goes off... such as on the gate. I think that might be a hassle. I've seen motion and systems that if the electronic eye beam is broken will set off lights on driveways , lanes, and gates that work well. They can also set off an alarm if you wanted to do that.

Myself, I use heat / motion sensors that will turn on lights that light up the area, and believe me ... they don't like that and will disappear. I want to add a couple of hidden low light cameras outside.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    1. I use Insteon products for lighting control. Check them out at Smarthome.com.
    Thanks for the link to Smarthome. Great source of home automation and security products.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I'm not expert on these issues at all. I just want to remark that everyone's budget, neighborhood, house size and layout, police/ambulance/fire response times will be different.

My personal approach has been to protect the perimeter with steel doors, good dead bolts and long striker screws into the studs. Protect the perimeter with inexpensive stuff like driveway alerts. Protect the windows with vibration detectors. Keep dawgs for extra alert and "bite the bad guy" potential. I have exterior lights on motion detectors and some solar powered low power lighting.

As a BG can easily cut a phone line, (and as I was curious about Magic Jack and also our Cable company's phone service), I am now considering switching so wired 911 goes through the cable system. I think it is a bit harder to cut the cable, and with the old phone company lines still up a BG would have to guess which one is active.

Like everything else in our lives there is too little, too much, just right, and "will do." For my neighborhood, "will do" is the level of protection I need.

Finally, I see security cameras as an aid to catching someone but not as a deterrent. My primary thing is I don't want a BG to get into the house. I don't think a camera will prevent that. If the camera is outside, a BG can cover his face, cover the lens, and be in and out. If a BG goes in and gets spotted by the camera, well, again, he is in. If you aren't in there with him, great. If you are in there with him, well that is why most of us keep arms.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Thanks for the link to Smarthome. Great source of home automation and security products.
    No problem. :)

Be careful though you can spend 3 weeks pay and your first born within 12 minutes on that site.

I have gone all wireless where I am no wires to cut. DirecTV, Clear for Internet and Magic Jack, 3 and 5 inch screws in door locks and hinges, X-10 for lighting control, and yes plenty of guns and a Safe Room and a whole house alarm system with 6 outdoor and two indoor cameras feeding a secured DVR.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not to steer you away from your questions, but the vast majority of break-ins are when you're NOT home. I would put most of my efforts in that direction.

Monitored alarm lines can be cut, so make you have a LOUD external siren, preferably out fo reach from the ground.

Most motion lights and such from places like HD will do the job intended. They also sell an audible sensor that will alert you if someone approaches.

A $500 deadbolt is worthless in a $5 doorframe. Trust me. My lock held. The door jam splintered all over the living room. Long screws will help, but most door frames are made from cheap wood and the screws pull out. Look for metal doorframes.

HD sells clips that keep the windows from sliding open more than you intend. Not foolproof, but a deterent.

Fenses and shrubs are the burglers' friends. Privacy for you is privacy for them also. Keep windows and entryways exposed. Prickly plants in front of windows help keep thieves out.

Weld the hinge pins on any external doors with the hinges on the outside (outward opening). It's easy to tap out the pins and remove the door, even if locked.

Consider a dog. Dogs don't stop determined burglers. Wasp spray turns the baddest of them away. But they are great at alerting you to someone's presense.

If they don't steal it, videos are nice for providing evidence--after the fact.

As for when you're home: a gun in hand is worth two in the safe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As a BG can easily cut a phone line, (and as I was curious about Magic Jack and also our Cable company's phone service), I am now considering switching so wired 911 goes through the cable system. I think it is a bit harder to cut the cable, and with the old phone company lines still up a BG would have to guess which one is active.
    If power goes out, so does MJ - unless you have a UPS

"Buy a network camera and configure it to email the photo's to a Gmail account when it detects motion. You'll have a nice picture of the bad guy before he realizes it. Gmail will happily store millions of photographs for you, and you can check them on your smartphone if you need to."

8ball,
    I'm not savy on this kinda stuff. Is there a site that explains how to do this? thanx

Links