Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

This is a discussion on Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lookin' in your windows at night with a shovel in hand? Hummm... his LUCKY day he's not in the morgue right now!!!...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

Lookin' in your windows at night with a shovel in hand? Hummm... his LUCKY day he's not in the morgue right now!!!
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the sound advice guys. We all start somewhere. Unfortunately it took something like this to kick my rear into overdrive.

- I already policed my property last night and locked up the shovel and post hole digger I had been using.

- Wife has already agreed to going to the local range to see about getting her some proper instruction.

- Today's agenda. Buy shotgun and dog. Two things that had been planned but after last nights events the time table has moved up severely.

We planned on getting a good yard dog for the chickens we are getting soon. Mind you, we've only been here 3 weeks...so no lollie gagging going on. I think a Collie yard dog just got upgraded to a Shepard. My 3 yr old has been asking for a dog anyway. Kills many birds with one stone.

As for my exiting the house last night. Im not a superhero by any stretch of the imagination lol..but I'm more confident in my hand-to-hand skills than most. I'm prior service US Army and 2nd degree black belt in Aikido. I certainly didnt just blindly walk out. I'll leave moves like that for the guys that rely on their sidearms only and not their wits as well.

While those skill sets have served me well in the past, at 36 I've finally realized I'm not as young or as fast as I once was. Worse than that...the world is far more dangerous and crazy than it ever was. This is our first home. I can finally arm myself and my home as I see fit. A little harder to do in an apartment within city limits.

I may be late to the gun scene..but I'm just happy to be here. Its long overdue. Well....long day ahead. Off to Sheriffs office. Then gunshop...then range...then to see about a dog and to Lowes for a set of flood lights.

Will drop in later.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    My family is safe and no one died tonight.
    That's the main issue.

OTOH
    I chamber a round
    Not good. Looks neat in the movies. But bad in practice. Keep one in the pipe.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a shotgun tommorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Strike while the iron is hot regarding the wife. Get her some training (actual training, not you and her in the backyard) the odds of her having to defend the homestead are probably better than yours. Take the same training yourself, so you both are on the same page.

... and lock up or at least put away tools typically left out side. It amazes me how many people leave all the tools needed to break into their homes lying around in the yard.
    + 1

Also, while the iron is hot have your wife start reading: http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

Before striking while the iron is hot, you also should read:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Men/wifehateguns.aspx

and

http://www.corneredcat.com/Men/buywifegun.aspx

Good luck and good times at the range for both of you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I'm glad things worked out for you. Everytime I read a thread where the wife has been somewhat questioning guns, maybe even anti, I thank my lucky stars I never had to address that with my wife of 35 years. She's fine with whatever guns we have, knows I'm safe, and she would protect our home and family as well (and she's good-looking too ).

Now regarding gun purchases, she tends to see gun purchases as a missed opportunity for jewelry purchases for herself.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thankfully I am blessed with common sense and the ability to weigh many options before pulling the trigger. Especially when the situation does not warrant it.

I'll reserve killing someone for when the bg is actually armed with a lethal weapon if it's all the same to you. Thanks.
    It appears that you read all of my post except these two words, "when necessary". No reference was made to the incident in question.

Thankfully I am blessed with common sense and the ability to weigh many options before pulling the trigger. Especially when the situation does not warrant it.

I'll reserve killing someone for when the bg is actually armed with a lethal weapon if it's all the same to you. Thanks.
    Glad this event ended OK for your family.

I would submit that a shovel IS a deadly weapon. Also, as dukalmighty rightly pointed out, a gun without a round in the chamber is just an expensive bludgeon. In this case the BG had enough sense remaining to immediately hit the dirt begging you not to shoot so it was unnecessary for you to shoot. Had he advanced on you, you would have been justified in taking him down. Remember, you are only shooting to stop the threat not to kill the BG. If the BG happens to die as a result of being shot then sad though it may be it was his choice to attack you.

Also, WELCOME to TN!

mkh
    You did pretty well and the outcome is the best that could be hoped for - no one shot and a wife that is now on board with your desires.

Some will argue the wisdom of going outside but it is probably what I would have done.

the only real mistake I see is not chambering around until you saw the BG. Remember this mantra - always armed, always one in the chamber, always diligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Many people buy a gun and get training and practice.
    Not as many work to discuss and acquire the right midset and willingness to use a gun without hesitation, when necessary.
    With the former, but not the latter, you're better off with a baseball bat.
    Actually, when I made the comment, I was thinking more of your wife than you, based on your statements in the op. Being a vet, (thanks for your service), I think that you would do what was required.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Mossberg Maverick 12Ga pump
    This is a good price and you should be able to find it at your local Wal-Mart too, for same price and no shipping (at least around here).
    you might go with a 20 gauge since it's not really just for you.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42605
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I'm surprised no one else brought this up yet:

You said your wife dialed 911, then called you, and you were able to: make it to the house, grab your gun, go outside and find the guy, then hold him at gunpoint, all before the police arrived?! Any idea what the total response time was/usually is?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    I'm surprised no one else brought this up yet:

You said your wife dialed 911, then called you, and you were able to: make it to the house, grab your gun, go outside and find the guy, then hold him at gunpoint, all before the police arrived?! Any idea what the total response time was/usually is?
    Its totally plausible; He says he is barely a mile away; thats what, like a minute drive? I can run a 6 minute mile if needed. From the description of his home and situation, the OP lives in a rural area, probably serviced by the Sheriff's office or a township agency at best. Both of those types of jurisdictions are usually very large. Response times can be 5 minutes to an hour depending on man power, luck of the draw etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Its totally plausible; He says he is barely a mile away; thats what, like a minute drive? I can run a 6 minute mile if needed. From the description of his home and situation, the OP lives in a rural area, probably serviced by the Sheriff's office or a township agency at best. Both of those types of jurisdictions are usually very large. Response times can be 5 minutes to an hour depending on man power, luck of the draw etc.
    Missed the "mile away" part. Thanks.

...burst through the front door to my wife handing me my Lorcin and LED flashlight.... I chamber a round...which caught his attention fast.
    those are the only two mistakes I caught in the whole thing. If you had a Lorcin and he had a shovel he was bettter armed,because at least the knows the shovel is going to function properly if he hits you w/ it.

And two since Lorcins are known for FTFs what would you have done in the extremely likely event the pistol failed to chamber a round?

If you're freaked out by the prospect of a round in the chamber get a revovler and keep it loaded

What he said^^^.... I fully expect at least 20-30 minute response time here where I'm at. I've also EXPERIENCED the 45 minute response time on a call for a home break in wherein I didn't realize the home was broken into until after I was already inside(ie I was facing being in the house with unknown intruders). I got lucky, the summation was that they had apparently left out the back when I pulled up in the drive, but I didn't learn that until afterwards. That was a long wait...

I can't blame the LEO's. It takes time to find places out this way. But it does underscore my own realization that I have to be on the ball myself.

To the OP: You did your job. Your family is safe. That's all that counts.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I am sorry that you had such a bad inccedent happen to your family. I am gald your wife has realized the need to learn to use a gun. I think that it is more important that my wife has a gun than it is for me to have a gun. My wife always enjoyed shooting, just not as much as I do. She has always been comfortable enough with handguns to get one and dispatch a varment if need be. She only in the last couple of years started taking SD seriously.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links