Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

This is a discussion on Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It is unfortunate that it took such drastic measures to get your wife to change her mind. It is also unfortunate that you and your ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

It is unfortunate that it took such drastic measures to get your wife to change her mind. It is also unfortunate that you and your family had to discover the problems of the neighborhood so soon after moving in. However, I applaud your actions. In my opinion, you and your family did the right thing. What's even more impressive, though, is the fact that you took in a fellow human that needs help. In my book, that puts you in the highest respect.

Keep up the good work.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    I have a POS Lorcin 9mm in the night stand for the time being. Will take the required safety class next month and apply for my Tn carry permit.

I'm sure there will be a mix of responses and opinions. Please note that I didn't ask "How did I do?". I'm secure in my actions. My family is safe and no one died tonight.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a shotgun tommorrow ;)
    I like this guy already. I know you didn't ask how you did, but I think you did an exemplary job of defending you and yours!

Also, that POS Lorcin saved your bacon. Any firearm is better than no firearm. Ok, Hi Point is nexcluded from that statement, unless using it as an anchor
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I am glad everything worked out for the best. You did good.

These guys pop up when you least expect them. I like the part where the crack head dove for the ground. If you did not have the gun you could have been hurt . Glad to see your wife turn her fear for guns around.

GM
    I am glad that everything ended well. Just one thing, you wrote” … my wife handing me my Lorcin …” ; I would not trust my life to a Lorcin.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Just curious can you describe the interaction you had with the LEOs when they arrived as you were holding the suspect at gunpoint. FWIW that info surely increased the LEO response. You might want to look into a quick access gun safe so you can keep the weapon fully loaded and inaccessible to unauthorized users. Some thing like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/037-cub...mpaign=buylink
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sounds like a close one. By the tongue-tied babbling the prowler offered up once caught, it seems clear he had dishonorable actions planned for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    It is unfortunate that it took such drastic measures to get your wife to change her mind.
    Whatever it takes. Better now than too late.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    needless to say my wife has had an instant change of heart. She has talked about nothing but how thankful she is for my military training, my security background and ...
    Thankfully, the change of heart has occurred prior to the family being put through the felonious wringer. Just.

Now that she's truly listening is time to find that fine line between "I told you so" (which you don't want to say) and jointly crafting a family defensive plan, to which you both contribute all of your commitment, knowledge, skills. By being a joint plan, it has the potential to be stronger, more adaptable. Congratulations on the changes! Enjoy the firearms and defensive skills training that's coming.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. I would echo the comments about keeping a round chambered. My solution to that is to keep it in a biometric lock box, so only those with fingerprints programmed onto it (ie, NOT my small children). I know you didn't ask for advice, and I think it's obvious that you did very well. Good on you, and best of luck keeping your wife on-board with defending the house!

First off, let me state: Good job, your family got through the event intact.

As former Army myself ('99 - '01) I absolutely agree that your military training helped you get through the situation, especially the skill of staying cool under pressure.

One note as you shop for a shotgun, take your wife with you and have her handle the gun as well, and take her to shoot different flavors of shotguns before committing to a purchase as well as trying different loads. She may surprise you with the shotgun/loading combination she likes best. I know my 98lb 4'10" sister loves her SxS 10ga. The Mossberg semi-auto and pump guns are fairly well balanced, and weigh about the same as the Remington 870, but the 870 is fairly front heavy even with an 18" barrel. That said, the 870 seems to soak up the recoil a bit better than the Mossberg 500, though the 870 is a tad slower to get on target initially. This is from my own experience... Your mileage may vary.

Private Message Sent. Glad things worked out for you and the family.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Hey all. Havent read through each and every response just yet...but I will. I reply to the ones askong questions and what not. Thanks for everyones support.

As for me...

Got the call this past Fri. morning. My brand new G19 gen 3 had come in. Side note...I didnt want a gen 4. I specifically ordered a gen 3.

Took it to the range Sat. Threw something like 150 rounds down range. Unbelievably tight grouping at 25 yds. Beautiful gun. So beautiful it's now a she lol and she is named "Annabelle" :)

Practiced a few times mimicking how it will go Safety Class qualification. I'll have no problem at all. 45 of 45 rounds found their target.

Class is on the 13th. Cant wait. Til then? Practice, practice, practice!

glad you were able to open her eyes without anything too terrible happening. glad they are safe. Get her some training.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

If you are going to get a shotgun, Buds gunship has used 870 police magnums for 299.00. They are from a police dept and have some wear, but are in good shape, I handled them this weekend, so you don't have to rely on inet photos. It's a great deal if you are in the market.

I also live in rural TN. The police are the sheriff's deputies and the have a large area to patrol. Not uncommon to have a response time of more than 30 minutes out here.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    A good ending to a terrifying situation. The shotgun is a good idea, and the shepherd. Whatever you do, please don't get a GSD from a backyard breeder or pet shop. Find a good, reputable breeder who is in it for the love of the breed, not just to make some coin. A GSD from working lines would suit you better than american "show" lines.

A good GSD pup will set you back a bit, but will be worth it.

Let us know how you make out.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links