Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

This is a discussion on Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So... My wife, two toddler daughters and I recently relocated to Tennessee. We also have a roommate that lives with us. We have sort of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

Wife: "Why do you want guns in the house?" was answered tonight.

So...

My wife, two toddler daughters and I recently relocated to Tennessee. We also have a roommate that lives with us. We have sort of taken him in as part of our family. He has many medical issues and needs and no one else to care for him. Anyway, We are here just over 3 weeks. We moved to a nice little 4 bd, 2.5 ba house on 1 acre. We are immediately surrounded by 2 farms, one of which is owned by the same gentleman that our road is named after. If thats any indication to how long he has been here lol. Beyond our road there are a few other roads that have a mixture of houses and trailers...single and doublewides. A few of the residents of these other roads have been pointed out to me as drug addicts. Meth is a HUGE problem here. For a small farming town it sure does resemble some Jersey cities that I grew up in.

A quick bit on me...I've been a member here since 07. I wanted a CCW for some time now. Kept thinking and talking about it...but never followed through. Til now. I just bought a Glock 19 that should arrive this coming Friday. I have a POS Lorcin 9mm in the night stand for the time being. Will take the required safety class next month and apply for my Tn carry permit.

With my finally following through and beginning to arm our home and myself, my wife has asked a few times "Why do you feel it so neccessary to have guns in the house and why do you want to carry so badly?" She is against guns...simply because she's terrified of them. I've repeatedly expressed to her the benefits of being prepared rather than unprepared. I've taken her through the miriad of "worst-case-scenerios" that could occur.

Well....tonight it happened.

I went to my sisters tonight to see the new baby they are fostering. They live barely a mile from us. I'm there maybe 10 mins. when I get a frantic call from my wife, kids crying in the background. A man, mid 30s-early 40s, is outside looking in multiple windows. They are terrified. As I am hopping in the Blazer to haul ass home...I instruct my wife to get my tactical knife from between the mattress on my side of the bed and call 911...which she had already done before calling me. She and our roomie aren't able to handle a firearm...that will change now that my wife has agreed to learn to shoot! Anyway...I arrive home...burst through the front door to my wife handing me my Lorcin and LED flashlight (I do love her...she's on the ball). Without stopping I pop open the back door and begin scanning the area he was seen last. Right then this scumbag meth head comes walking around the far corner of the house with my shovel that I had left in the yard from working earlier in the day. I guess he intended to arm himself or use it to bust fhe back door. Either way...his mistake. I chamber a round...which caught his attention fast. As I took aim he flung himself face first on the ground and started begging for me not to shoot him. As I commanded him not to move or he'd be shot, place his arms straight out, cross his ankles and bend his knees feet up...he rambled off a handful of ever changing stories about how he had run out of gas, was lost, needed to use the phone, needed the bathroom etc etc so on and so on. Got to the point that I had to yell at him to shut the hell up.

My wife called 911 again to let them know that I was in the backyard, armed and holding the bg at gunpoint.

The sheriff's deputies showed up and took over from there as I went into daddy mode and had to calm my girls.

This was hours ago...needless to say my wife has had an instant change of heart. She has talked about nothing but how thankful she is for my military training, my security background and statements/questions like "when are you going to pick up your new gun?", "I think you're right about getting guns", "I think I want to learn to shoot" and my personal favorite..."Maybe we should think about getting a shotgun".

We avoided what could have been a major event tonight. All I can say is thank God for the 2nd Amendment! And thank God for my ability to stay calm and collected in situations like this which allows me to make the right decisions that keep my family safe.

I'm sure there will be a mix of responses and opinions. Please note that I didn't ask "How did I do?". I'm secure in my actions. My family is safe and no one died tonight.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a shotgun tommorrow ;)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not a thing wrong with what you did. BG in custody, family ok all ended well. Set up a plan with family to hunker down until LEO arrive and train, train, train with the new Glock and whatever else you get. Keep reminding yourself and family that the mere presence of a firearm does not constitute security you have to know how to use it and have the willingness to use it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

You are safe, BG is (hopefully) in jail. Good.

Things I would have done differently are:
    1) Got all the kids and wife and roommate to a single room, and holed up to wait for LE. You never know how the bad guy is armed, and how many there are. Alot of our recent burglaries/robberies were perpetrated by 2 or more BGs.
    2) Until the wife gets good training and mental conditioning to use a hand gun, a steel baseball bat would be better than a knife I would imagine. Dont have to get as close, bigger more obvious deterent, less training required.
    3) A panic alarm where she just has to push a button might not be a bad idea if you are out of the house often, either a key fob, or one in a known area of the house.
    4) GOOD JOB!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Good job Batman. Unfortunate that many people don't get it until something happens, then they "wish they had" . Good your wife has gotten it now and nothing more happened. It could have been very ugly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it. I did forget to mention that they did all get to the master bedroom....until she heard me pull up. Still a mistake that she came out. And our roommate Roy had my wooden LS bat in hand. He may have issues and need constant care but he is 6'3 and strong as an ox. He's very close to us and very protective over my wife and children.

I have to go downtown tomorrow and file a detailed report. The one deputy told me to stay with my family and it could wait til the morning...he said the bg wasnt going anywhere. I'm sure I wont sleep tonight regardless.

I cant wait for my G19 to get here. Let the training begin.

Thanks again guys.

Many people buy a gun and get training and practice.
    Not as many work to discuss and acquire the right midset and willingness to use a gun without hesitation, when necessary.
    With the former, but not the latter, you're better off with a baseball bat.

I am glad everything worked out.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

My family is safe
    That's the most important part. Everything else is secondary.

Biker

Kudos - Everything is intact and the family is safe. It is sad that it took something like this to answer the question "Why do you need/want guns in the house/ want to carry a gun".

Train well and stay safe. BTW, Glock is a fantastic firearm, you will not be displeased! Recommendation for a shotgun though - Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with 18 1/2 inch barrel. 12 or 20 gauge and the load you use is up to you!
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member
    Good job, glad to hear everyone is safe and the bad guy will be enjoying the amenities of the local jail.

Administrator
    Strike while the iron is hot regarding the wife. Get her some training (actual training, not you and her in the backyard) the odds of her having to defend the homestead are probably better than yours. Take the same training yourself, so you both are on the same page.

... and lock up or at least put away tools typically left out side. It amazes me how many people leave all the tools needed to break into their homes lying around in the yard.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad everyone is OK. Make a plan, practice, and have the right tools. That's about all anyone can do.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

One thing that could of got you killed,you went outside looking for a BG with an empty chamber,If that guy was wating around the corner til you got close enough to brain you with the shovel you probably wouldn't have time to chamber a round,and in trying to chamber a round quick could end up with a jammed gun.Like others said get training with your spouse,and don't leave tools out and the window blinds open where they can see in.Don't leave any gas laying around either a Meth head isn't in the right frame of mind,which you experienced with his attempts at trying to lie his way out of the situation
    Glad that you guys are safe,and actually were able to learn from this without any really serious consequences
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, he definitely needed to be proned out and held at gunpoint.

The fact that he was peeping in the windows and still there after the wife already called 911... called you... and you had the time to drive home only to find him still on your property would lead me to believe he was pretty stupid. But when he came around the corner holding a shovel, it's game on, and holding him at gunpoint was the right thing to do.

You didn't ask to be critiqued on your tactics so I won't. I'm just glad everything turned out cool and he got cuffed and stuffed.

SIXTO is correct regarding your wife. Work on her while the incident is still fresh in her mind and at the forefront of her thoughts. If you wait around, the "gung ho" feeling she has now will fade away. He is also correct in the fact that she has a greater probability of having to be the one who defends the homestead. She should get her ccw permit as soon as feasible and she should take a beginning handgun class as soon as possible as well. However she will also need a beginning defensive shooting class too. Most beginning handgun classes merely focus on gun safety, gun operation and the basic fundamentals of shooting and getting your bullets on paper. A defensive shooting class is not the same thing at all. However, you need to have the basics first so you are safe on the range and know how to shoot.

Keep us posted on how things progress.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Many people buy a gun and get training and practice.
    Not as many work to discuss and acquire the right midset and willingness to use a gun without hesitation, when necessary.
    With the former, but not the latter, you're better off with a baseball bat.

Thankfully I am blessed with common sense and the ability to weigh many options before pulling the trigger. Especially when the situation does not warrant it.

I'll reserve killing someone for when the bg is actually armed with a lethal weapon if it's all the same to you. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links