A trip I'm not happy about. - Page 2

A trip I'm not happy about.

This is a discussion on A trip I'm not happy about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Don't give it much thought. I grew up in Maryland and have spent vast amounts of time in DC and never once had a bad ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't give it much thought. I grew up in Maryland and have spent vast amounts of time in DC and never once had a bad encounter. I was just there last July and I took my daughter into DC to do the tourist thing for the day. Granted it was not her first trip to DC you can't do all the museums in a single day and speaking of museums. Entry to most is free but DO NOT EAT at any of them. They charge an incredible amount of money for a basic meal.

While you are visiting the mall area you have very little to worry about. The memorials, reflecting pond, etc. you will be fine. I didn't give the thought of not being armed any thought at all. I was having too much fun enjoying the museums. My favorite is the Air and Space Museums and sitting on the steps of the Lincoln memorial to do a little people watching is a must.

Enjoy your visit, don't stress about not being armed. You are not going to wander into Anacostia or any of the other bad parts of DC by accident. DC is not as bad a city as it is made out to be. The crime/murders you read/hear don't take place on the mall very often.

BTW. Be very careful what you carry. You have to pass threw security check points entering the Air and Space museum. They do have metal detectors and they do check baggage. I don't remember if the Natural History museum had them or not. It is hit or miss but you could be denied entry if you have a knife. I would visit the web sites of places you are going to visit to find out what is legit and what is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Preparing to avoid crime is hardly "tripping." It's just good common sense. And, frankly, it's what we do every day via concealed carry, knife, light, along with the socks, belt, pants/shirt, shoes. It's little different than any other day, and no more or less "tripping" than it ever is, daily. But then, we all know this, as we all remain prepared and as aware of our surroundings as is achievable without abusing a reasonable lifestyle.

"Tripping," OTOH, is like "paranoia," which involves a highly unreasonable and unjustifiable level of concern. But we're speaking of DC. While perhaps not a den of snakes in which crime IS inevitable, it's no child's game to remain safe in any major, high-crime city. It just takes the ordinary and customary level of awareness and preparedness we engage in. It's not about stressing out about it. It's simply about being reasonably and appropriately prepared, as always.
    Well said wish I was more eloquent in my thoughts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    If you don't get wound up in what can happen you WILL become a victim my friend. I appreciate your attitude toward just enjoying life but that is what gets most victims in trouble. JMO
    He lives or lived in The Bronx. His state of relaxed is someone else's high alert SA.

Been there and done that.

Preparing to avoid crime is hardly "tripping."
    He said he was, "really stressing" which to me can be fairly described as tripping. Most crime can be avoided just by where you put yourself in a given city. Would I prefer to carry at all times? Sure. When we vacationed in Florida, my PPS came with me. But when we went to Chicago and NYC, I obviously couldn't carry. We had a great time by using common sense and not doing anything stupid. If you are so afraid of crime that you can't go our capital without "really stressing", you might as well wave the white flag to the bad guys.

Can you stay in Virginia, leave gun there, and go into DC ? I want to make a general trip in that area and visit DC... but I'm not doing the long trip I want without being armed all the way just so I could go into DC.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Preparing to avoid crime is hardly "tripping." It's just good common sense. And, frankly, it's what we do every day via concealed carry, knife, light, along with the socks, belt, pants/shirt, shoes. It's little different than any other day, and no more or less "tripping" than it ever is, daily. But then, we all know this, as we all remain prepared and as aware of our surroundings as is achievable without abusing a reasonable lifestyle.

Being unable to look forward to or enjoy your trip is tripping. So is being afraid to leave your hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Being unable to look forward to or enjoy your trip is tripping. So is being afraid to leave your hotel room.
    Neither of which he said. Unless I missed something.

In your different scenario, sure, "tripping" might be a fine word to use. Apologies if you feel it's a bit nit-picky, but what he said was that he would stay in condition Orange and bring reasonable tools he was legally allowed to bring. Stressing over the choice is fine, given the anal-retentiveness of DC's "leadership" in this area, particularly for a visitor not entirely aware of all the little man-made potholes dug for the unsuspecting (aka, the upstanding citizen snared by the ridiculous restrictions on "weapons"). Other than that, it sounds little different than the preparations for any normal day around town: going in a state of elevated awareness along with the tools one can take legally. Pretty simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I feel sorry for your trip to D.C., I wouldn't want to go there either.
    What a shame that a town with such historic meaning is one of the most dangerous places in the nation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I took the wife and kids to DC two summers ago--Just use common sense and do it during the daytime (although the memorials on the National Mall are spectacular at night). Level Orange is the way to go. Hit the National Mall, the Smithsonian museums, and the Marine Corps Memorial. Don't let being uncomfortable ruin the trip.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

My wife and I have to go to D.C. with her company. I have never been and am not overly excited about it because I can't carry. I figure all I can to is stay in level orange carry OC spray, tdi, flash2, and Barkie necker. Anyone have any other ideas I am really stressed on this issue.
    I feel for you, my work is sending me to Chicago, at least they haven't handed us Springer tickets yet.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Thanks for all the feedback gang. What I meant by stressing is trying to figure out the best EDC to be armed with and still be legal. I do look forward to see the sights just want to be prepared.

Administrator
    Thanks for all the feedback gang. What I meant by stressing if trying to figure out the best EDC to be armed with and still be legal. I do look forward to see the sights just want to be prepared.
    Thats probably the best way to be right there. Don't let the no gun deal ruin what otherwise should be a fun and interesting trip. Use common sense, stay on the beaten paths and D.C. is a very fun and safe city.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Back off on the stressing. Make the most of it; visit the mall (um, that's not a shopping mall...), the Mint, the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, the FBI, the Lincoln Memorial, the Capitol building. Then enjoy the crowd at Old Ebbitt Grill. The bar experience and drinks are better than the food... and if you walk in as I did with an NRA jacket on, it might spark some good conversations at the bar.

What I would NOT do is walk the streets at night anywhere that's not a big public attraction. About the biggest scare of my life came when I was gassing up the car on the outskirts of town, but that's a story for another time.

Don't lose out on a great trip because of undue fear of the unknown. I've been to DC a number of times over the years for biz and pleasure, and staying away from dark places at night and unpopulated places in the day will be your safest path. The best weapon you have is your brain, so keep that cocked & locked, and just use good sense about where you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't let the no gun deal ruin what otherwise should be a fun and interesting trip. Use common sense, stay on the beaten paths and D.C. is a very fun and safe city.
    I readily agree with the advice above. My wife and I spent several days in DC doing the "tourist thing" unarmed. Being unarmed was not my favorite idea, but I tolerated it well, everything wound up being a great experience. Look at it as a good exercise in polishing your SA.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

jbum.... No worries man. Just stay away from the white house on Pennsylvania Avenue,... big eared,long legged, mac daddy, anti gun criminal lives there.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

When ever I go where I can not carry I take a cane. Schools, government buildings, planes, hospitals, Disneyland, Washington DC (never been actually) etc. Simple wood T-handled cane. Discreet, hidden in the open, effective, simple to use, instantly deployed as it is in your hand at all times. Along with a decent knife and as you said up your SA. It will be good practice. As others have said be a tourist stay on the well travel path. Relax have a good time. Remember being alert and aware does not mean being tense or in a bad mood.

This is my current favorite cane
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links