A trip I'm not happy about. - Page 3

A trip I'm not happy about.

This is a discussion on A trip I'm not happy about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by LongRider When ever I go where I can not carry I take a cane. Schools, government buildings, planes, hospitals, Disneyland, Washington DC ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    When ever I go where I can not carry I take a cane. Schools, government buildings, planes, hospitals, Disneyland, Washington DC (never been actually) etc. Simple wood T-handled cane. Discreet, hidden in the open, effective, simple to use, instantly deployed as it is in your hand at all times. Along with a decent knife and as you said up your SA. It will be good practice. As others have said be a tourist stay on the well travel path. Relax have a good time. Remember being alert and aware does not mean being tense or in a bad mood.

This is my current favorite cane
    That my friends is an excellent idea thanks LR!!

When ever I go where I can not carry I take a cane.
    I do the same thing. Hidden in plain view, which is nice. Instantly deployed. Non-lethal, usable by almost anyone, hurts when smacked by it. Goes right through security checks, guard posts, into the "secure" areas at airports, etc. If not actually gimpy or disabled, it'll take a minor bit of acting to sell it, but that's a small price to pay.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just got back. Enjoy the trip....+1 to the national mall, monuments, museums, etc.... I carried my Surefire E2D LED Defender, in case I needed to blind someone and crack em over the head to retreat, that's it. Just don't cross the Anacostia River and you'll be fine.

FYI....a lot of the Smithsonian museums, like Air & Space, have metal detectors at the entrance, and they do search bags. No issues with my flashlight...not sure how a knife would be viewed, if at all.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    In addition to SA, I would stress avoidance. Street crossing, route variation, etc, at perceived threat possibilities. Not always possible, but worthy when available.
    Exactly. And, being in the military, I had to be in states that aren't gun friendly, such as Chicago, NY, and some other countries outside the US. When in doubt, all I can carry is my Surefire 6P Defender as well as keep a 3 D-Cell Maglite in the luggage.

Guns or not, I love DC. It's a gorgeous city, the Metro is CLEAN, and it really is well policed in all the areas where you would want to go anyway (you will literally see several dozens of police on the Mall). As long as you don't venture off the beaten path, you'll be fine. Just stay aware of your surroundings and ENJOY YOURSELF.

Don't miss the Smithsonian (I especially love the Air and Space Museum), Vietnam Memorial, or the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Depending on when you're there you may be able to get in and watch sausage being made. I mean, watch a Congressional session. It is equal parts fascinating and frustrating.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I was born in D.C. and spent every other weekend in D.C. growing up, It can be an amazing place with so many things to see! I know it's gonna suck to not be able to carry, but enjoy our nations' capital and just work on your S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    That my friends is an excellent idea thanks LR!!
    Thanks glad to be of assistance. If possible get a cane with the handle at a straight 90 degree angle. As close to a police baton as possible. Especially if you want to incorporate a cane into your EDC toolbox. While a cane is very simple to use effectively, you can learn more advanced techniques that are simple to learn and very effective. I know my current favorite is not exactly T-handled but close enough, as a genuine blackthorn is just too cool not to carry, and this one is the only one I have ever seen that had a handle like this and not a knob.

Some one mentioned a high intensity flashlight, while I carry a NovaTech or Fenix daily it never occurred to me before to use it in conjunction with a cane. I can see how that could be extremely effective. Blind the assailant so he can not see his intended victim while you knock some sense into him. Maybe carry the flashlight on your weak side.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If not actually gimpy or disabled, it'll take a minor bit of acting to sell it, but that's a small price to pay.
    It has been my experience that appearing gimpy is not necessarily necessary. That being comfortable with it ie being used to walking with the cane is more important as far as not drawing unwanted attention or being questioned about for your need for it. So practicing with it. Just walking with a cane will quickly resolve that issue.

However if appearing gimpy makes better sense to you. You can place a small a very small pebble in your "injured" legs shoe. It does not have to be painful just noticeable, that is enough for it to be uncomfortable. In a very short time that discomfort will quickly develop into a slight limp. It is amazing how quickly you will develop muscle memory that has you limping happily along without the pebble each time you carry the cane.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

It has been my experience that appearing gimpy is not necessarily necessary. That being comfortable with it ie being used to walking with the cane is more important as far as not drawing unwanted attention or being questioned about for your need for it.
    That's what I meant. Walking with a hitch in the stride is often most simply achieved by thinking "gimpy." Some who have never had a bum leg might fade in and out, or just "swagger" along with a normal walk. To someone looking for one's need of a thing, some will quickly pick up on the non-need if it's clear. Had that asked of me once. Now, I'm truly gimpy all the time, so it's hardly faked any longer. But a cane can make a great tool that goes with you through secure zones and checks that would clean you of your more normal weapons. This one gets through.

The cane seems a little harder to pull off for younger folks, though. I think I would probably attract a great deal of attention walking with a cane.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    The cane seems a little harder to pull off for younger folks, though. I think I would probably attract a great deal of attention walking with a cane.
    Because young folks are immune from injury, motorcycle, skiing, climbing, sky diving, racing or plain old car accident? Not to mention the youngsters in the VA hospital using canes.
    I personally can not even count the times I used crutches and canes as youngster. Maybe I am the exemption. I never second guess a youngster with a cane
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Not at all, but it's an odd enough sight that I think it would draw a fairly significant amount of attention. I know if I were a cop and I saw someone under the age of 45 walking with a cane (versus crutches which are more common for acute injuries), I would give him a second look. I'm not sure if canes, intentionally carried as a weapon, are illegal in DC. My worry would be that if I ended up having to use it, it would be really hard to convince a jury that I carried it for any other purpose.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I'm not sure if canes, intentionally carried as a weapon, are illegal in DC. My worry would be that if I ended up having to use it, it would be really hard to convince a jury that I carried it for any other purpose.
    Except for the simple fact of self-defense being justified. Am assuming the only situation in which it would be used is one in which you were defending against an illegal, unprovoked attack. A cane as a temporary device to assist walking after an injury is something many people do. If not actually injured, that's where the "faking it" comes in, if pressed to explain and one can't get out of an explanation. A completely legal device brought along specifically to sidestep local statutory stupidities seems to me something very difficult to claim as criminal merely because it ends up being used legitimately to defend oneself.

Self defense may be justified but many jurisdictions have limitations on what you can carry intentionally for self-defense. A baseball bat is completely legal in many jurisdictions unless it is carried expressly as a weapon. A cane could be seen the same way depending on the local laws. As far as faking it goes, that only works until a DA investigates whether you were truly injured.
    - Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I graduated from the George Washington University in DC, and spent 2 years there. I lived in Silver Springs MD, and during my didactic year, I took Metro there and back every day but Friday (went home to Richmond on the week ends, so I drove to school). I never had a problem during my time there. There's so much to do there, as others have mentioned. Follow the advice already given, and you should do fine.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get off the plane, ask a cop which areas to avoid for your safety, enjoy the rest of the city. There's so much to see you can't get it all done in a few days. Millions of tourists visit each year and walk away safely. The murders are more a case of locals shooting locals over Marion's products. Besides, the biggest threats are busy inside Congress.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links