A trip I'm not happy about. - Page 4

A trip I'm not happy about.

This is a discussion on A trip I'm not happy about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gruntingfrog The cane seems a little harder to pull off for younger folks, though. I think I would probably attract a great ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A trip I'm not happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    The cane seems a little harder to pull off for younger folks, though. I think I would probably attract a great deal of attention walking with a cane.
    For younger folks like myself I rely on my fighting ability when disarmed, and also will use anything around me as a weapon. However age should not be an excuse (to not learn self defense, my Sensei who is in his mid Eighties can still kick my butt and make me work hard.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    My advice, relax and quite tripping. Go out and enjoy yourself. See the sights, the memorials are great, the museums are awesome. To be honest Iím slightly envious, wish I had a reason to ditch of and go to DC. Its sad when people get so wound up about what can happen that they donít enjoy being some place or even worse are overly concerned about the wrong thing. I had an ex like that who when she visited me in the Bronx was extremely concerned about a terrorist attack.
    + 100

While DC has rough spots, and you can't carry...it is a great town for history, sights, eating, etc...

You are stressing WAY TOO MUCH...

Good SA is necessary, YES...but some great advise has been given which I'll repeat...

Enjoy...avoid the bad parts of town...practice good SA...you will survive...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Back off on the stressing. Make the most of it; visit the mall (um, that's not a shopping mall...), the Mint, the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, the FBI, the Lincoln Memorial, the Capitol building. Then enjoy the crowd at Old Ebbitt Grill. The bar experience and drinks are better than the food... and if you walk in as I did with an NRA jacket on, it might spark some good conversations at the bar.

What I would NOT do is walk the streets at night anywhere that's not a big public attraction. About the biggest scare of my life came when I was gassing up the car on the outskirts of town, but that's a story for another time.

Don't lose out on a great trip because of undue fear of the unknown. I've been to DC a number of times over the years for biz and pleasure, and staying away from dark places at night and unpopulated places in the day will be your safest path. The best weapon you have is your brain, so keep that cocked & locked, and just use good sense about where you go.
    +1. Be cautious not paranoid. You can get mugged in your own home afterall.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links