A trip I'm not happy about.

This is a discussion on A trip I'm not happy about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I have to go to D.C. with her company. I have never been and am not overly excited about it because I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

My wife and I have to go to D.C. with her company. I have never been and am not overly excited about it because I can't carry. I figure all I can to is stay in level orange carry OC spray, tdi, flash2, and Barkie necker. Anyone have any other ideas I am really stressed on this issue.

Stay in the hotel. That's what I did. I'm really sorry, My Friend. I, too, hated DC.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Are you staying in D.C.? or staying across the river in VA??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In addition to SA, I would stress avoidance. Street crossing, route variation, etc, at perceived threat possibilities. Not always possible, but worthy when available.

Staying in D.C. unfortunately.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I figure all I can to is ... carry OC spray, tdi, flash2, and Barkie necker.
    Are such things legal in DC, or (as I suspect might be the case) are upstanding people criminalized over taking such defensive steps?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Back off on the stressing. Make the most of it; visit the mall (um, that's not a shopping mall...), the Mint, the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, the FBI, the Lincoln Memorial, the Capitol building. Then enjoy the crowd at Old Ebbitt Grill. The bar experience and drinks are better than the food... and if you walk in as I did with an NRA jacket on, it might spark some good conversations at the bar.

What I would NOT do is walk the streets at night anywhere that's not a big public attraction. About the biggest scare of my life came when I was gassing up the car on the outskirts of town, but that's a story for another time.

Don't lose out on a great trip because of undue fear of the unknown. I've been to DC a number of times over the years for biz and pleasure, and staying away from dark places at night and unpopulated places in the day will be your safest path. The best weapon you have is your brain, so keep that cocked & locked, and just use good sense about where you go.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Are such things legal in DC, or (as I suspect might be the case) are upstanding people criminalized over taking such defensive steps?
    Looks like they are legal as long as blades are no more than 3" and not switch blades and the Saber Red is legal as well. Thanks for reminding me to check!!!

Distinguished Member
    Go to the Vietnam Memorial. Then go see Abe Lincoln sitting in the big chair. Mind numbing stuff.

If you don't venture off path and do anything dumb, it's a well policed place and like nothing else to visit. I'd rather go there than LA...or Miami...etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Go to the Vietnam Memorial. Then go see Abe Lincoln sitting in the big chair. Mind numbing stuff.

If you don't venture off path and do anything dumb, it's a well policed place and like nothing else to visit. I'd rather go there than LA...or Miami...etc etc.
    True!! I am excited about the history that I will see just hate the fact that I have to go to our capitol and feel so uncomfortable.

Hey check and see if the Mint is giving out free samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Hey check and see if the Mint is giving out free samples.
    Heck no afraid if I go in there they will take what I got to restock..

My advice, relax and quite tripping. Go out and enjoy yourself. See the sights, the memorials are great, the museums are awesome. To be honest Iím slightly envious, wish I had a reason to ditch of and go to DC. Its sad when people get so wound up about what can happen that they donít enjoy being some place or even worse are overly concerned about the wrong thing. I had an ex like that who when she visited me in the Bronx was extremely concerned about a terrorist attack.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    My advice, relax and quite tripping. Go out and enjoy yourself. See the sights, the memorials are great, the museums are awesome. To be honest I’m slightly envious, wish I had a reason to ditch of and go to DC. Its sad when people get so wound up about what can happen that they don’t enjoy being some place or even worse are overly concerned about the wrong thing. I had an ex like that who when she visited me in the Bronx was extremely concerned about a terrorist attack.
    If you don't get wound up in what can happen you WILL become a victim my friend. I appreciate your attitude toward just enjoying life but that is what gets most victims in trouble. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    My advice, relax and quite tripping.
    I appreciate your attitude toward just enjoying life but that is what gets most victims in trouble. JMO
    Preparing to avoid crime is hardly "tripping." It's just good common sense. And, frankly, it's what we do every day via concealed carry, knife, light, along with the socks, belt, pants/shirt, shoes. It's little different than any other day, and no more or less "tripping" than it ever is, daily. But then, we all know this, as we all remain prepared and as aware of our surroundings as is achievable without abusing a reasonable lifestyle.

"Tripping," OTOH, is like "paranoia," which involves a highly unreasonable and unjustifiable level of concern. But we're speaking of DC. While perhaps not a den of snakes in which crime IS inevitable, it's no child's game to remain safe in any major, high-crime city. It just takes the ordinary and customary level of awareness and preparedness we engage in. It's not about stressing out about it. It's simply about being reasonably and appropriately prepared, as always.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links