My house was broken into yesterday...

This is a discussion on My house was broken into yesterday... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by nando Wow... thanks for all the replies! We already set up an appointment set up with ADT, forgot to mention that... Training ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My house was broken into yesterday...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    Wow... thanks for all the replies!

We already set up an appointment set up with ADT, forgot to mention that...

Training is 100% coming in the near future as well but I'm most likely going to try to buy something today. The wife and I have gone shooting before at a range so we're not total total newbies but we still want/need proper training. Honestly, I've always talked about buying a gun but I was gonna take my time with it but now I just need something that will make me feel safer. I know just having it shouldn't make me feel safer but it would... especially a revolver - something I've loaded/shot before...

With everything stolen and things just being how they've been, I'm most likely going to go to a pawn shop and get something cheap - which is another reason I said a 22. Now I know the stopping power is low but is it low enough to make it not worth it?

I know many won't agree with me and I appreciate the info but I need something asap so this is the way it has to go... I can promise to all and myself and my family I'll be as careful as possible and get training as soon as possible.

@dbramhall - This actually happened in Hollywood, FL... PM me more info you want...
    You can get something ASAP other than .22 revolver. Try looking for a .38+P J Frame revolver such as the S&W 642, S&W 442, S&W Bodyguard or Ruger LCR or a larger revolver in .38+P or .357 Magnum. I think that a .22 revolver will do the job fine if the criminals are scared away by the warning shots, but if they try to attack you to kill you then you will be in trouble since you won't be able to stop them in time before they stab you, hit you or shoot you. Think of a criminal inside your home that is high on drugs or has a strong build.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    There is a big difference between broken glass on your fence and someone teaseing sweet Fido,

If price is a concern, you can get a .38spl for the same price as a .22lr is most cases
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Yeah, its definitely a price issue right now... If I can find a 38 Special for around the same price as 22 then thats what I'd get...

I really like the S&W 642...

Administrator
    "Also, I have a solid plastic fence around my backyard - can I put concrete/broken glass on top of it? Or something to that effect?"

Broken Glass ~ That is usually NOT a very wise idea. Because if some little kid decides to climb your fence or somebody runs their hand on top of your fence and gets all cut up then you are liable.
    That's sort of the reason why Booby Traps are not such a great idea. Because a Booby Trap cannot distinguish between a good guy & a bad guy.

Yeah ^^^ that's true... I'd put signs everywhere... lol

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

If price is a concern, you can get a .38spl for the same price as a .22lr is most cases
    Very true and their a dime a dozen.... .38 MINIMUM. BTW: Sorry you got violated but, consider it a HUGE wake up call and be grateful you wasn't in the house unarmed when they came a knockin'.

Forget the broken glass,...
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Chances are the thieves won't come back, at least for a while. They already got all the "good stuff" and know you'll be on high alert for a while.

Implement some of the suggestions offered. When building your homes defenses, try to think like a thief. Look from the outside in. That's the way most thieves will see your house.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Why don't you buy a used .38 revolver from Gun Broker? Try looking for brands like Charter Arms, Rossi, Armscor and Taurus since they have very affordable revolvers. I just saw a Taurus Model 85 for less than $300.00!!!

get training, try a variety of guns at a range, get more training, get a dog and definetly don't do the glass thing on your fence

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sorry to hear about your bad news. Been there also. It takes a long time to get over feeling violated. I don't think my wife has yet, after 12 years!

First off, the vast majority of break-ins are while the owners are out. Break-ins while someone is home, are rare--but happen. You need to focus the majority of your protection toward when you're NOT home.

In my case, they simply kicked the door in. Two construction guys hitting homes on their lunch break. Steel door, wood jam. Guess what gives. The deadbolt doesn't slow it down. They were caught after hitting another home, but I never recovered much in the way of restitution. The one required to repay me skipped town.

A monitored alarm system will help but won't stop the serious criminals. It is a "deterent." It will lower your homeowners ins. a few bucks, but you'll pay more for the monitoring service. Piece of mind is worth the cost of the service. Get an external siren if you have an alarm installed. Most alarms use the phone line to monitor, which can be cut.

You don't sound real gun savvy, so for home defense I'd say a Mossberg 500 short barrel loaded with 00 buckshot is a good choice. The wife can learn to handle the shotgun. And she'll be far deadlier with it than a revolver. If you insist on a wheelgun, nothing less than a .38 Special.

Negative on the glass-topped fence. Liability is written all over that. Some kid trys to climb over it to retrieve a ball, cuts his hand, and parents drag you into court. In fact, fences allow burglers unseen access to homes. The more privacy you erect, the easier you make it for the BGs. The next hurricane will blow that vinyl fence to the next county.

Cameras are good for after the fact evidence. They might keep the kids looking for an easy score away, but not the seasoned pros. They'll probably take or disable the cameras too.

Dogs are good for keeping kids out and alerting you (when you're home!) but pros give the dog a blast of wasp spray and keep on trucking. Like pepper spray to them.

Also, there are some serious dog restrictions in Broward County (No Pits?). Many insurance Co.s won't cover you or will charge more if you have a dog, particularly the type you'd want for protection. Think of a dog as more of an alarm than a protector. Fifi will let you know if someone's snooping around.

In South FL and Hollywood, break-ins are a common occurance. Hope you had insurance and learn a lesson. Keep valuables in a safe deposite box or a heavy safe bolted to the floor. Again, primarily focus on protecting the house when you're away. That's the biggest threat.

Once again, sorry to hear about your troubles. But welcome to the forum. Since I'm (sort of) close to your area, PM me if you want to discuss this more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I recently picked up a S&W 442, used for $365...

Get a .22 rifle for plinking. A .38 revolver for real life.

In all reality, a pump shotgun would be the most economical and practical HD weapon for a novice.

S&W 442-1.JPG
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The glass is a bad idea. There was a case some years back of an individual who had been burg'd several times. He arranged a shotgun to fire with a tripwire. A burglar entered and was shot by the device. IIRC, he was prosecuted and sued.

Nando, another good idea for home defense is a Taurus Judge Revolver. It's a 5 shot revolver that shoots .410 bore shells and .45 Colt ammo. This wonderful revolver will deter any home invaders in a second!

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Chances are the thieves won't come back, at least for a while. They already got all the "good stuff" and know you'll be on high alert for a while.
    Not true.
    My parent's neighbor's house was hit, and the theives came back a few weeks later to get the new "replacement" stuff too!!!

While a dog might not slow down a "pro" - but LOTS of people are scared of large dogs just on principle, and it doesn't have to be the "mean breeds" either. I have an 85lb yellow Lab mix that would jump up and down and bring the bad guys a ball to throw for him, but nobody comes in my yard since I fenced the front in and put the dogs out when I'm gone. (keeps the door to door knockers away! yay!)
    People cross the street so they don't have to walk past us when I'm walking the dogs - the fear is there even though my dogs are quite well behaved on leash. It's not like they are dragging me around trying to get to the other person, nope just chillin, and people still move away.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

The wife would freak with a shotgun... but I wouldn't buy one anyway because whatever I buy I want to eventually carry it around with me... legally of course...

Looks like I'll be going to the gun shop and holding a few, a S&W 38 or a Taurus 38 should do...

@OldVet - Thanks for the info, I'll definitely take you up on your offer and shoot you a PM...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links