My house was broken into yesterday...

This is a discussion on My house was broken into yesterday... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in south Florida and my house was broken into yesterday and they took my 4 tvs, (50, 32, 32, 26) 2 laptops (mine ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My house was broken into yesterday...

I live in south Florida and my house was broken into yesterday and they took my 4 tvs, (50, 32, 32, 26) 2 laptops (mine and the wifes), my PS3 and my Wii.... we just moved in so we had no alarm and no insurance... the worst part is feeling violated... and not feeling safe in your own home... which is why I'm here...

I'd like to buy a gun for the house, you never know if they or others will try something like that again and next time we might be home. I need something small and easy to handle so my wife can handle it if needed as well. I was thinking of a 22 revolver but I have no idea what make/model or anything... I definitely want a revolver.

Also, I have a solid plastic fence around my backyard - can I put concrete/broken glass on top of it? Or something to that effect?

I was also thinking of cameras... most noises now make me paranoid and it'd be nice to see what's going on around the outside of the house without walking around with a big ass kitchen knife.... any recommendations?

Any information will help...

Thanks in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    I live in south Florida and my house was broken into yesterday and they took my 4 tvs, (50, 32, 32, 26) 2 laptops (mine and the wifes), my PS3 and my Wii.... we just moved in so we had no alarm and no insurance... the worst part is feeling violated... and not feeling safe in your own home... which is why I'm here...

I'd like to buy a gun for the house, you never know if they or others will try something like that again and next time we might be home. I need something small and easy to handle so my wife can handle it if needed as well. I was thinking of a 22 revolver but I have no idea what make/model or anything... I definitely want a revolver.

Also, I have a solid plastic fence around my backyard - can I put concrete/broken glass on top of it? Or something to that effect?

I was also thinking of cameras... most noises now make me paranoid and it'd be nice to see what's going on around the outside of the house without walking around with a big ass kitchen knife.... any recommendations?

Any information will help...

Thanks in advance,
    I think your best first action would be to install a good home security system. ASAP. This would call the police even if you're not home.

Secondly, you don't sound like a gun guy. Before you go out and buy a 22 revolver you should go get gun training and educate yourself before you make a mistake out of panic. Do you have children ever come to the house? Get educated first THEN buy a gun. In that order.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Welcome to the DC forum, by the way! Glad to have you.

Here are a couple of threads on considerations for hardening the home: one, two.

Lighting is a big step. Ensure you've got decent motion/presence detection, tied to exceptional lighting in all the right areas. KNOW when someone is approaching, for when you're home. Make it clear to everyone nearby that someone's there, when you aren't. Definitely go through all of your doors and windows, evaluating each for hardening them. Consider barring the doors, then exiting through the garage, which can make it tougher to enter through doors. Other than active, monitored alarm systems, dogs, it's hard to do much more beyond this for when you're not at home. The above links have many great ideas, ranging from inexpensive to fairly spendy.

Me, I'm a big fan of monitored alarm systems. Though, in some areas of the country, these can be downright expensive. I've had custom-installed setups for as little as $700 for equipment and installation, with $50/3mos for the monitoring service. Depending on the alarm system, you can turn on the perimeter zones only, during nighttime, and turn on the whole thing when gone. The trick is, tune the settings right so you eliminate "false" alarms, and USE IT every time without fail. Some systems can also notify you via pager, cell phone. Consider having a system that notifies the monitoring station via ground line w/ cell phone backup. And do NOT have the "base" unit placed anywhere easily accessible, since it can be ripped out to sidestep the system.

Having lived outside the U.S. previously, I've seen stout exterior walls at larger homes/compounds, where the tops of walls were laced with barbed wire, glass/nails cemented into the top, etc. Depends on what's kosher/PC in your area. Some steps can be effective, where some will just be a waste of time and money.

Consider contacting your sheriff or police department, to ask for some suggestions. You might well get a knowledgeable officer to come out to the home, to provide some basic tips and guidance on where to go from here.

If looking for a revolver for basic home defense, I'd consider a relatively heavy .38spl / .357mag revolver. The Ruger SP-101 is a very good gun, and it can handle both the .38 Special round as well as the heavier .357 Magnum round. In the 3" barrel flavor, it's a highly competent gun, easy to handle and manage. With five shots of .38spl and speed loaders of 5rds, you'll have a very competent gun for the purpose. Jump up to .357mag when you're ready. Be sure to practice for aiming and relatively brisk draw, if you're new to revolvers.

Why .38spl/.357? It's got more capability than a .22LR when facing aggressive attack. Surely, .22's have resulted in deaths before, but you might want to have a bit more "punch" in your primary defensive weapon. I would. Up to you, though, as there are more considerations than simply "punch."

If well aware and competent with firearms, great. If not, seek introduction and training to gun handling, safety. The sheriff/police can assist with guiding you here, as well, as can any decent local instructors you might have. If looking to carry, consider reading Massad Ayoob's book In The Gravest Extreme before going in that direction.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I really really recommend that you get some from of instruction before you go out and buy a .22lr revolver. I also recommend that you buy something larger than a .22lr revolver.

A good dog will be cheaper than a home security system, you can get one from the humane society for a lot less than a security system will cost.

I know you feel violated now but think before you act, and do research and get training before you buy a gun for home defense
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The advice offered by Sig is sound.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I would definitely look to educate yourself and your wife on personal and home defense. Thankfulky it was just stuff, but you are right, next time you might be home. In that event, be prepared. Knowing you are trained, armed and prepared will also help with feeling more comfortable in your home again.

Hope everything works out for you and yours.

Small and easy to handle don't usually go together for self defense firearms. Small means less mass and therefore more felt recoil. The heavier the gun the less the felt recoil and the easier to handle for follow up shots. Consider a 38 special or 357 with a 4 inch barrel if you prefer a revolver. You may want to consider going to a range and renting a semi auto pistol to try before you rule them out. Look at the 9mm as an excellent starting point.

A 22 cal while capable of stopping a threat is not as effective as the larger calibers such as the 38 or 9mm.

The laws today make it very unwise to add protective measures such as broken glass to the top of your fence. Liability would be high and if a child or person that may have a reason to be going over a fence got injured you may encounter a law suit.

I know exactly what you are feeling, the wife and I had to cut a out of town trip short to return to the south Florida area to take care of a break in and burg. No fun but if it helps, you get over the violated feeling over time.

A gun is good protection against people breaking into your home while you're there, but otherwise, unless you carry it always, it's just one more thing for thieves to steal.

Harden the home per the advice given above.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I was thinking of a 22 revolver but I have no idea what make/model or anything... I definitely want a revolver.
    a 22 is for target shooting, not self defense... 38 Special or above...or a shotgun I'd say for Home defense
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Welcome to the board Nando. You will find a lot of good information reading here. But as others have said, do get personal training.

I just did a google on "south florida handgun training" and there seems to be a number of good places you can go.

I live in Miami, but also had the same thing happen when I lived in Hollywood, FL. They took everything (clothes, food, furniture, etc) execpt for my guns that were in the safe which was bolted to the floor. They tried to take that too.
    Booby traps are not a good idea...You are opening yourself up to all kinds of liabilities.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Nando, your first step should be to improve your home security system by installing a solid alarm system, motion activated security lights around the house, installing dead bolts on all doors, securing all windows and getting a guard dog (rottweiller, german sheperd, doberman or boxer preferred). Afterwards, you should look into getting a home defense shotgun and a handgun. There is an excellent gun shop in Miami called "Lou's Police Supply" http://www.louspolice.com/ that has a great variety of firearms and the store staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and professional so they can help you select the best firearms for your home and guide you through the whole process of gun registration and CCW if interested. I suggest you purchase a Remington 870 Express shotgun or Mossberg 590A1 and a Glock pistol (9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP). If you do not have a lot of experience with handguns, then I suggest you buy a Smith and Wesson or Ruger 6 shot revolver in .38+P, .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum. With this combo of firearms you will be solid against any future threats.

Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    I need something small and easy to handle so my wife can handle it if needed as well. I was thinking of a 22 revolver but I have no idea what make/model or anything... I definitely want a revolver.
    A .22LR revolver is for practice shooting and not ideal for home defense as it does not have sufficient stopping power. If you want something light, then I suggest you look into a .38+P snub nose revolver (S&W 642 or Ruger LCR), a .380 ACP pistol (Ruger LCP, Kel Tec P-3AT or Taurus TCP) or a sub-compact 9mm pistol (Glock 26, Springfield XD9 Subcompact, Kahr PM9 or Beretta Px4 Subcompact). Nonetheless, the best weapon for home defense hands down will always be a shotgun. If you really want a revolver, then check out Smith & Wesson and Ruger as they make the best ones.

Wow... thanks for all the replies!

We already set up an appointment set up with ADT, forgot to mention that...

Training is 100% coming in the near future as well but I'm most likely going to try to buy something today. The wife and I have gone shooting before at a range so we're not total total newbies but we still want/need proper training. Honestly, I've always talked about buying a gun but I was gonna take my time with it but now I just need something that will make me feel safer. I know just having it shouldn't make me feel safer but it would... especially a revolver - something I've loaded/shot before...

With everything stolen and things just being how they've been, I'm most likely going to go to a pawn shop and get something cheap - which is another reason I said a 22. Now I know the stopping power is low but is it low enough to make it not worth it?

I know many won't agree with me and I appreciate the info but I need something asap so this is the way it has to go... I can promise to all and myself and my family I'll be as careful as possible and get training as soon as possible.

@dbramhall - This actually happened in Hollywood, FL... PM me more info you want...

S&W 642

Ruger LCP

Glock 26

And just to add, the 22 is just for now and future target practice which I like to do anyway... Later on, a 38 Special will definitely make it's way into my home.

Also, regarding the liability of the sharp fence, wouldn't a dog fall under the same crap?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links