Caribbean Cruise Defense Options

This is a discussion on Caribbean Cruise Defense Options within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Devilsclaw I wouldn't worry about the ship at all, but watch the islands. Be careful about straying from the main areas. Wife ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caribbean Cruise Defense Options

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the ship at all, but watch the islands. Be careful about straying from the main areas. Wife and I were on St. Thomas, downtown, kinda went over near the park area, where all of the locals sell all of the stuff they steal from the tourist shops, like a big tented flea market......we got off into an area about a block from the busier sections, and I picked up 3 young punks shadowing us, crossed the street and told the Mrs. to pick up the pace, and we outwalked them into the more crowded area, and they dissappeared. If you were to stay with a large group, I think you'd be fine, just don't get separated from the herd, or just stay in main areas in the daytime. Many of the locals are very poor, and basically prone to theft/criminal activity. I wasn't impressed at all, and got a very strong hostility vibe from those types, even cabbies and such. Typical, "we hate you because you have money" type thing.
    Agreed. Wife and I are on cruise #17. The ship itself is very safe, but the islands can be another story. The cruise lines take great pains to make sure that the places and tours they sponsor are safe, but if you want to go off on your own, be careful. Keep to the most well travelled routes where there are plenty of other cruisers.

2. Remove Ads

Lots of constructive comments here. Thanks. Any more will certainly be welcome.

I've been on eight cruises, in various parts of the world. On each and every one I have packed a folding tactical knife in my luggage. I keep it concealed on my person while onboard, but don't take it ashore. You will go though metal detectors every time you return to the ship, and security may have a problem with it. Give Princess a call and ask them.

I took an Alaska cruise (1 of 3) a couple of years ago and because of the law in Alaska allowing constitutional carry, I began to wonder. I called the cruise line, (Holland America) and was surprised to learn they would allow me to bring a pistol, but it would have to turned over to security while onboard the ship. I could check it out when going ashore and turn it in when we returned. That worked in Alaska, but I didn't even try in our Canadian port of call (Victoria, BC) where I probably would have been arrested.

Also you have to be aware of the weapons laws at the ports you will be visiting. They are all different.

Princess, by-the-way, is our favorite cruise line. Bon voyage.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I'm taking one of these, myself. It's been on planes, trains, in Europe, and even Boston.

Here's the link: http://www.coldsteel.com/citystick.html

Now that is a classy looking tool.

Yes it is. I will be working on my own cane, made out of apple wood this weekend. I don't need a cane to walk, yet, but this one will give someone a good knocking if needed.

After 9/11 me and the wife will not consider vacation travel outside the country, just not worth it for us. Since that day I have taken so many new precautions, updated all of our personal security(including my choice for CCW), and rethought all our vulnerabilities that by taking such a vacation I feel that I would be violating my own core beliefs.

You may think I am probably being a bit paranoid, but I no longer will put my trust in other people to provide for my protection. And going into a foreign country, especially some of those islands, scares the bejeebies out of me.

Personally, I don't think those cruise companies and vacation package companies have put much thought, if any at all, into safety and security. It is mostly an illusion (much as is Homeland Security) and they are just playing the odds that an incident will not occur. Sorry if I was a downer but that is the way I see it.

Administrator
    I went on a cruise just a few months after 9/11. Security was "tight". Being a diver, I brought my dive knife along with some other basic equipment. It's not over the top Ramboish, just a sturdy basic dive knife. Nobody ever questioned it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You could also make, pretty easily, a 550 lanyard with monkey fist "key chain". Or you could buy one for cheap, but that isn't as much fun as making them.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

When I go abroad, I carry 3 lines of defense. First a good pepper spray, which is used to keep the attacker off me. An expandable baton, which can be used in conjunction with pepper if more than one attacker, and third, a good fighting folder for when your personal perimeter has been breached. A good knike can also be used in conjunction with the baton. I also carry a cold steel neck knife as a backup to the folder worn on a chain under my shirt. Also, a small flashlight with a strike bezel is great. All of these items fit in your luggage and can be retrieved and immediatly on your person before leaving the port of destination. I have carried these in several countries such as south Africa and never had a problem.

We've been to various Carribean Islands and after several bouts with security checks, have chosen to not take anything. I've even been rousted for having a lighter. I do know that many of the islands' Leos can be as bad as the street thugs. Somebody earlier in this thread stated it's better to stay with the group and that's what we do. If you stray, the hoods will be on you like a dog pecker gnat. It's happened to me several times and I've learned my lesson. I backed down 3 would be muggers with the help of a van driver in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Once in Negril, Jamaica a fellow guest from Texas strayed and wound up punching out a street punk. Mall security rushed in after the fact and told us that our buddy was very lucky. This dude was a bad actor and been arrested for homicide in the past and actually been banned from the mall. He was arrested when he woke up and found that he was missing some teeth. Stay with the group!!
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

I think a cane would be your best opotion.
    I agree. If you haven't looked into ColdSteel's stout canes and sticks, you should consider something like it. The polypropylene material in the "African Walking Stick," for example, can approximate the damage of a smaller, lighter baseball bat and be swung nearly as hard. The Irish blackthorn shillelaghs can be quite effective and they look no more than a walking stick. Good to be with, when out and about.

A stiff plastic/fiberglass kubaton or similar type of device might be worth carrying.

As always, solid H2H skills will be at a premium in situations where you're disallowed your primary weaponry.

And, beware the local laws if exiting the ship at ports of call, as those laws apply while you're there. They might well even apply while you're on the ship in port, technically, but I doubt anyone would be searching an entire ship's passenger list for spurious bits of plastic and fiberglass.

Still, in the end, feel free to relax and simply enjoy where you you'll be. It's a ship that costs a bit of cash to be on. So long as you don't get silly drunk and walk around the decks and lonely passages at 3am alone, you're likely to be just fine. Enjoy the trip!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Being a 17 cruise veteran, I have never found it necessary to carry any extra "self-defense" type equipment. I believe a great deal of common sense will go along way while off the cruise ship. My wife and I have never felt unsafe on any of the ships while out to sea.
    I believe listening to some of those karaoke singers in the bars at night can be more dangerous to one's health!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

We're back and the cruise was great. I ended up making a cane and took it without any problems. A week ago Friday we went to St. Lucia and took a tour bus around the island. We had no problems, but another tour bus on the same day. doing the same thing we did, came upon a blocked road. When the driver stopped. armed bandits overpowered him and robbed all the helpless, unarmed passengers. I'm sad for them, but really glad it didn't happen to us.

Quote Originally Posted by gtv View Post
    You might want to check out Cold Steel's line of Nightshade blades -- made completely out of fiberglass reinforced plastic. I have a Push Dagger II, and it is very tough, and plenty sharp enough to do the job. Granted, a plastic blade is not ideal, but it beats having nothing at all. Plus, at $10 to $15, it would not be a great loss if it were confiscated.

http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html
    Not a bad suggestion...bookmarked for later reference, thanks!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links