Caribbean Cruise Defense Options

This is a discussion on Caribbean Cruise Defense Options within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The wife and I are thinking of a Caribbean cruise and wonder what options we will have while traveling. It will be on Princess Cruises. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean Cruise Defense Options

The wife and I are thinking of a Caribbean cruise and wonder what options we will have while traveling. It will be on Princess Cruises. I am pretty sure that there will be metal detectors and a gun is out of the picture, but I don't know about knives or OC.

I was thinking about getting or making a cane for the trip.

I have not sailed Princess personally but all the cruiseship that I have traveled on have metal detectors as you board or get back onto the ship at a Port of call. I think a cane would be your best opotion. Take a steak knife from dinner. Here are my thoughts if other people are willing to ante up $3-4k to travel you get a better class of people.

I have taken my family to Great Wolf Lodge it is an indoor water park that you MUST be a guest of the hotle to use the park vs CoCo Key where you can buy a day pass. After attending both I can say in my opion You get a better class of people (Not race but class.). I picked a day of Oct 8th for 1 night https://reservations.greatwolf.com/?...10/2010#suites $308.00-$389 (2 adults and 2 kids) vs $ 48.00 4 x $12.00 per person https://shop.accesso.com/coco/index...._utmk=30127167

Not say that something can not happen at either location or anywhere.

Also the longer you go away for the older the people get. Who else has the time or money to go away for so long.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that you can take a pocket knife with a 2.0" - 3.5" blade, an expandable baton and a bottle of pepper spray for self defense. I don't think you will have any issues with security aboard the cruise since there is lots of security personnel and surveillance cameras. Perhaps just lock your doors at night and secure your valuables. The real issue is at the islands you will stop by since security there will be poor. That's where you should take your pocket knife, the expandable baton and the pepper spray for self defense. Nonetheless, call and check with the Cruise Line to avoid having your items confiscated.

Have fun!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I forget the name of the book..but I am sure you can google about everyday objects you can use defensively..such as a bic pen, rolled up magazine etc etc..
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I wouldn't worry about the ship at all, but watch the islands. Be careful about straying from the main areas. Wife and I were on St. Thomas, downtown, kinda went over near the park area, where all of the locals sell all of the stuff they steal from the tourist shops, like a big tented flea market......we got off into an area about a block from the busier sections, and I picked up 3 young punks shadowing us, crossed the street and told the Mrs. to pick up the pace, and we outwalked them into the more crowded area, and they dissappeared. If you were to stay with a large group, I think you'd be fine, just don't get separated from the herd, or just stay in main areas in the daytime. Many of the locals are very poor, and basically prone to theft/criminal activity. I wasn't impressed at all, and got a very strong hostility vibe from those types, even cabbies and such. Typical, "we hate you because you have money" type thing.

I actually just returned from the Caribbean. On the ship...NO WEAPONS. They metal detect you just like getting on an airplane. Even if you get something on board in your luggage and carry it off the boat onto land you will have to pitch it before you get back on as you will have to go thru the metal detectors again when you get back on the boat....

So MAYBE the steak knife thing could work if you pitch it before you get back on the boat. But the knives in the dining room on our trip were not terribly sharp and had rounded points.....

What we did was each take a Surefire 6P and a VERY sturdy metal bodied pen. That and a good sense of awareness backed up by some pretty good knife training from AMOK.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Just like on a plane, 8oz of pewter with fairly sharp edges.
    Attached Images

Well... at the rate that many husbands are actually alive to finish the cruises with their wives..... I would suggest tying a rope around your waist and to the guard rail that can't be easily cut. Seems wives are making it back, but husbands are somehow mysteriously jumping ship or being thrown overboard along the way.

Wife : Steward, oh Steward..... my husband fell of the side of the ship about 8 hrs ago, who should I notify when we reach port ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This past spring the wife and I took our boys on a disney cruise and I had forgotten that I had my edc knife in my pocket, remembered it when the metal detectors went off. The security guards inspected the knife and then made me check it with them because it had a serrated edge on it, if it was not serrated they said I would have been able to continue with it. had a great time on the cruise and totally forgot about the knife till the day after we got back home and was getting dressed in the morning. thought the knife was gone forever but 3 days later a package from disney showed up in the mail with my knife in it. Thanks Port Canaveral Security.

gtv
    You might want to check out Cold Steel's line of Nightshade blades -- made completely out of fiberglass reinforced plastic. I have a Push Dagger II, and it is very tough, and plenty sharp enough to do the job. Granted, a plastic blade is not ideal, but it beats having nothing at all. Plus, at $10 to $15, it would not be a great loss if it were confiscated.

http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    We went on a RC cruise in August. I knew the gun was a no, but I brought my day pack with my leatherman, my small Winchester pocket knife and my Benchmade 730S defensive knife. RC's stated corporate policy is that knives longer than 4" are prohibited. I put all the knives in my bag as we boarded the ship and had no problem with them. Took my day pack to Cabo and took the knives off the ship, then got back on no problem. Next day in Mazatlan, coming onboard the ship the x ray guy stopped me and demanded all three. I asked to talk to the ship's security officer because obviously I had brought them onboard twice, so either their security is terrible or they need to train their guys on what is okay. Well, that got nowhere. So I got them back on Sunday in LA.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    http://www.canemasters.com

Another option but be VERY careful if you choose to do it - take a nose spray bottle and replace contents with pepper spray liquid. Just don't forget and use it on your or loved one's snoze.
    For God, Family and Country!

I've stated this before, but I would recomend checking out the laws on the islands you plan on visiting. Many islands have strict rules about weapons. I know if you were to cruise to my island and were caught with a blade of just about any length you would get a tour of the inside of a police holding cell.....

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I have thought about getting one of these
    http://www.real-self-defense.com/unb..._umbrella.html
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links