Just had a MAJOR incident

This is a discussion on Just had a MAJOR incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Broken man im so mad, what if I had to take someones life tonight?? Better to take a life than someone take ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had a MAJOR incident

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    man im so mad, what if I had to take someones life tonight??
    Better to take a life than someone take yours...always think of that!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

2. Remove Ads

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    No, you reacted as any other human being that is trying to defend their life and property would have done. The bad guys were scoping your property when you were asleep, your dog advised you of the situation so you went to check out what was going on and the bad guys saw you through the window. Instead of the bad guys fleeing upon detection, they became more aggressive and tried to break down your door which signals that they had very evil intentions for you...therefore, your reaction to reach for your Ruger GP-100 and approach the thugs aggressively was absolutely a proper reaction. I think that this incident has shown you the importance of having a firearm at home, so perhaps you should add a shotgun or tactical carbine in case that in the future this were to happen again but with armed thugs.

Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight and congrats on how you reacted!!!
    -Yeah I know I need a good shotgun but as of now im kinda poor, I just moved in here so its kind of heart breaking when this sort of thing happens within the first 60 days of me living here. Also, my only real option for a long arm was either my 30-30 marlin lever which wouldve been over-pen way out the wazoo or my .357. My .45 sits with a dunce cap in the naughty corner.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You did FINE. Kept your butt inside, called the gendarmes, and stayed ready for the event that didn't happen.

The adrenaline dump will keep you from getting much sleep tonight, and you will probably replay the incident over and over again in your mind tonight. Just understand that that's the adrenaline working, and it's perfectly normal.

Tomorrow, go find a nice big ol' beef bone for your pup to enjoy - he earned it.

As a followup, you might ask the cops (if you didn't already) if anyone else in the area has had a burglary or break-in similar to what you almost experienced.
    Thanks, and yes, he deserves something mighty fine for being the hero of the night. I credit him fully. Tomorrow, I see lots of noms in his future.
    -crap, didnt ask the cops because I was still, and am still, rattled.

It sounds like you did fine, under the circumstances.
    I would suggest window coverings, no windows of mine can see inside the house at night. If you can be seen through them, you can be shot through them.
    I agreee with getting a boomer.

VIP Member
    So did I over react drawing my weapon as I approached the threat trying to do a B&E right in front of me? Finger wasnt ready until I was ready to take a life.
    Over react NO; two BGs trying to kick down door are not asking to solicit contributions for the Red Cross or the Police Benevolent Association.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Let's see, now; multiple intruders attempting to break down the door, you are inside, they say "OH SNAP" (or something rougly similar) and depart the scene in a timely manner. Officers respond, as usual, well after the bad guys have gone away.

Done deal. You have successfully defended your home without harm to yourself or anyone else. This is good.

Now, hypothetically, had the intruders forced their way inside and you confronted them in your dwelling, the outcome could have been very different. You could have been forced to defend yourself, possibly being injured in the process, and possibly causing injury to the intruders. In such a case I would recommend that your only statement to responding officers be something like this: "I was in fear for my life and forced to defend myself. I need to speak to a lawyer before I say anything else". Shut up, lawyer up, let the nice pit bull in the good suit do all the talking for you.

Make sure all the doors and windows are secured, have a nice cup of cocoa, go to bed, keep your GP100 handy. One in 17 Americans will be the victim of a serious crime every year (Uniform Crime Reports, US Department of Justice); accept the fact that tonight was your turn. Tomorrow will be another day.

Best regards from a retired cop.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    -Yeah I know I need a good shotgun but as of now im kinda poor, I just moved in here so its kind of heart breaking when this sort of thing happens within the first 60 days of me living here. Also, my only real option for a long arm was either my 30-30 marlin lever which wouldve been over-pen way out the wazoo or my .357. My .45 sits with a dunce cap in the naughty corner.
    Ummm...I think you are well protected with a Marlin 30-30, a .45 ACP and a .357 Magnum! FYI, you can get a used Remington 700 or Mossberg 500 very cheap...just so you give it some thought for when you are doing better financially.

It sucks that you just moved there and you had a major security incident. It happened to me in my previous apartment...2 weeks after I moved in I woke up at 3:00 AM with someone banging on my door and telling me to open the Friggin Door. I picked up my Mossberg 590A1 and racked it...afterwards I heard the suspect run like crazy when he heard that but my heart was pounding at 1,000 bpm, I was a bit shaky and did not sleep at all.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    you can get a used Remington 700
    what do I need another high powered rifle for?

not that I dont appreciate the advice

thanks everybody, I work at 9 a.m. with a 30 min commute so, I gotta try and close my eyes, wish me luck. Will be up bright and early to see what you all have said, thank you all for the positive reinforcement.
    NOBODY APPROACH MY HOUSE TONIGHT

what do I need another high powered rifle for?
    Methinks he meant "870".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

So you let the dog out and the dog didn't go absolutely crazy on their ahem, butts??
    I would NOT open the door to let the dog out - why make it easy for them by opening the door??

You did ok though, came through it alright and that's what matters!
    I also need a shotgun, like you, my only real long gun is my 30-30 Winchester.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    So you let the dog out and the dog didn't go absolutely crazy on their ahem, butts??
    I would NOT open the door to let the dog out - why make it easy for them by opening the door??

You did ok though, came through it alright and that's what matters!
    I also need a shotgun, like you, my only real long gun is my 30-30 Winchester.
    no i opened my bedroom door upstairs to let my dog out. they were at the front door downstairs

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Broken, I am not advocating this as an out to the issue, it is merely to calm your nerves, I suggest a good strong drink to help you stop shaking, and then a nice cup of cocoa to make yourself comfortable and sleepy, and then lay down and just try as best you can to relax, thats what I did when I had my close call with thinking someone was coming into my house, lucky noone was, and it was a false alarm, but once it was over, i had some cocoa and just sat in my chair till I got tired, then went to lay down
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Get some window coverings as soon as you can.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links