Just had a MAJOR incident

This is a discussion on Just had a MAJOR incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Broken no i opened my bedroom door upstairs to let my dog out. they were at the front door downstairs Ah, makes ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had a MAJOR incident

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    no i opened my bedroom door upstairs to let my dog out. they were at the front door downstairs
    Ah, makes better sense that way. Good job!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I would forget the drink, let your body learn to handle your nerves.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    foldupdog.jpgthinking about carrying my dog with me now. You know, for back up, and early detection.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

foldupdog.jpgthinking about carrying my dog with me now. You know, for back up, and early detection.
    Good ideeeeer!
    I take mine pretty much everywhere I can, she's far more helpful to have around than my hubby.

I've lost track of the number of times guys have changed their mind about approaching me when she gave them the good ole "bark and growl"
    and talk about early detection, she's amazing!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Broken,

You did absolutely fine. Taking another persons life isn't something any of us want to do, and it certainly isn't the easiest of things to bury inside, but sometimes it's a neccessary evil. You or him. Just think of it that way. Always.

I can relate to the new house/attempted break in. Not easy to sleep afterwards. You may not sleep at all. Nothings says they might not try to come back...depends on how egotistical and determined they are.

Stay alert. Stay armed. Be safe. Prayers are sent.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Nothings says they might not try to come back...depends on how egotistical and determined they are.
    On the note of two story houses and dogs for early detection, wouldn't it make the best sense to make the dog sleep on the ground level where the bad guys would be?

I've never lived in a two story house, but I make my dogs sleep in the living room. Originally it was because my puppy's bigger crate wouldn't fit in the bedroom door.....but nowadays I think of it more along the lines of the dogs are where both of the doors and easiest-accessed windows are. They guard the main part of the house and there's only one window in my bedroom that I have to worry about, and the guns are with me

Thank goodness you had time to post here before PD responded so you could decompress.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    I agree with Gauntes. Get those windows covered, if you can't then remember to use lighting to your advantage. Dark inside, lots of light outside means they cant see you. It's good that they saw your gun and fled but they could have started shooting at you instead.

In the past when I thought I might have a BG outside my house I would turn off every light inside. At my old house I had two swithches in my bedroom that turned on all the outside security lights. When all the outside lights are on it lets in enough light to move about inside without falling on your face and you can see outside very clearly. People outside are unable to see in.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Thank goodness you had time to post here before PD responded so you could decompress.
    Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. When there is no time for a soothing hot cup of cocoa while waiting for the cops, it is nice to know he has the support of so many DC members.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. When there is no time for a soothing hot cup of cocoa while waiting for the cops, it is nice to know he has the support of so many DC members.
    I'm with y'all.
    Also, did anyone notice the times of his post?
    Am I to understand, being a professional first responder, that in the 16 min gap between the first post and the update post that 911 was called, units responded, cleared the property, took a formal report and cleared the scene?
    I'm thinking that's not likely. Let's also take into consideration that the time stamp of the update post is when he hit "submit post" and not when he sat down to type it all up.
    In my opinion this is, at best, just a disguised "what if" scenario post.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

I'm not walking down a hallway all lit up like a target for the perps,I will take up a defensive position around the corner to my bedroom,once they breach the door they get a load of 00 buck,and I will repeat as necessary until the threat is over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

man im so mad, what if I had to take someones life tonight??
    It could have been to 'save' your own.
    Probably not something anyone WANTS to do, but better you then them.

Overreact, not at all. The dirtbags are lucky you didn't put a few through the door while they were trying to kick it in...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was so rattled it was the first thing that sprang in my mind

So did I over react drawing my weapon as I approached the threat trying to do a B&E right in front of me? Finger wasnt ready until I was ready to take a life.
    Absolutely not an over reaction! you have the right to walk around gun in hand in your own home especially if something goes bump in the night
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    I'm with y'all.
    Also, did anyone notice the times of his post?
    Am I to understand, being a professional first responder, that in the 16 min gap between the first post and the update post that 911 was called, units responded, cleared the property, took a formal report and cleared the scene?
    I'm thinking that's not likely. Let's also take into consideration that the time stamp of the update post is when he hit "submit post" and not when he sat down to type it all up.
    In my opinion this is, at best, just a disguised "what if" scenario post.
    units responded from surrounding areas and its NOT a what if scenario, ill take pictures of my door if you dont believe me. I need to replace the dang doorknob

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links