Just had a MAJOR incident

This is a discussion on Just had a MAJOR incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Broken man im so mad, what if I had to take someones life tonight?? Just remember, it was THEIR actions which would ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Just had a MAJOR incident

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    man im so mad, what if I had to take someones life tonight??
    Just remember, it was THEIR actions which would have resulted in the loss of their life.

2. Remove Ads

If you suspect someone is outside your abode, attempting to make illegal entry you have basicly two choices:

Warn them away
    Let them make entry

I favor the letting them make entry approach as I lie in wait behind cover and summoning the local on duty constabulary. If they breach my castle before the constabulary arrive I will shoot intruders that made illegal entry, as they have proven their intent to me. Entering an occupied dwelling is no laughing matter around these parts. The reason for stealth, on my part, is to give the constabulary time to get there and apprehend them.

Warning them away leaves them out in public to come back again, or do their actions against someone else. If left out in public, at large, they are free to come back at a more opportune time for them. That puts you at their mercy. I favor changing the odds to one of my favor, instead of favoring the criminal element. Rest assured you will have multiple problems after using deadly force on another living breathing human being, from legal to medical. There can also be social repercussions to ending a human life.

To gain entry to my castle they will have to get through more than just a door, and make a lot of noise. That gives me sufficient time and proves their intentions to a reasonable standard. The odds favor the ensconsed defender with a shotgun or rifle. I like to put the odds in my favor as much as I can.

Biker

VIP Member
    Investing in a deadbolt lock for the front will be a better investment.
    How do you know where someone is going to try to enter. It could be the back door or a window.

More often than you might think, the person breaking into your house knows you or your roommate and also knows you have something worth stealing. Don't let strangers into your house. don't let a friend who brings someone you don't know into your house. Your friend may be ok but his friend could be a thief. I saw this happen more than once (when I was much younger) especially to guys that throw parties. A week later they are robbed.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Biker said it right. Probably the best way to look at it, when thinking of or preparing for future possible (likely) happenings.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Investing in a deadbolt lock for the front will be a better investment.
    How do you know where someone is going to try to enter. It could be the back door or a window.

More often than you might think, the person breaking into your house knows you or your roommate and also knows you have something worth stealing. Don't let strangers into your house. don't let a friend who brings someone you don't know into your house. Your friend may be ok but his friend could be a thief. I saw this happen more than once (when I was much younger) especially to guys that throw parties. A week later they are robbed.
    I have a deadbolt, its the only thing securing my house right now, as my door knob is broken and laying slackly pointed towards the ground (not a knob as much as it is a simple handle with a lock). Well, the deadbolt and my roommate who is probably sitting at home on the couch with 7 pheasant loads in his Mossy 930SPX.
    And parties, no parties, too many things to risk when young people throw parties. I dont party.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

I know, but I just feel like, had I killed a guy, someone wouldnt believe me and I would have to send someone a picture of a bloody stump where someones head used to be.
    Just a thought for anyone that may be involved in a SD shooting, DO NOT post anything on the net about the incident untill it is legally resolved and behind you.
    Lawyers are just a little bit resourceful and remember that they will use anything they can on you if it goes to trial.
    The less you say the less you can get yourself in trouble.
    Of course, Im not a lawyer
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Sig, can I or do I even wanna know why you brought up dogs "makin' it" on my front porch? Still dumbfounded by that one. haha
    Did you just say that because my dog got all upset?

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    Just a thought for anyone that may be involved in a SD shooting, DO NOT post anything on the net about the incident untill it is legally resolved and behind you.
    Lawyers are just a little bit resourceful and remember that they will use anything they can on you if it goes to trial.
    The less you say the less you can get yourself in trouble.
    Of course, Im not a lawyer
    hmm very true, That seems like a pretty good rule of thumb to follow to keep YOURSELF out of trouble. sneaky sneaky snakes lawyers can be.

A bit late to the party ...but WOW! Broken, glad your ok, didn't have to shoot anyone....you did just fine. I don't think I could sleep for a week with that kind of adrenaline dump. Although there are indeed trolls lurking...don't let any comments get to you. Shotgun and a really bright light are in order.

yeah. I WANT a shotgun, cant AFFORD one right now. trust me, i want want want one.
    traded my last moss 500 12ga for a M&Pc .40 = me regretting my decision. (do not even have M&Pc anymore)

When you get your shotgun, load it with something more effective than pheasant loads. 00 Buckshot has far more penetration performance than any birdshot. If the intruders are wearing leather jackets, etc., birdshot may not even stop them. Buckshot will. Also remember that ever time you pull the trigger, you own the bullet, for better or for worse. Use the ammo that is appropriate for both stopping the threat and minimizing the danger to any neighbors should a round miss the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    When you get your shotgun, load it with something more effective than pheasant loads. 00 Buckshot has far more penetration performance than any birdshot. If the intruders are wearing leather jackets, etc., birdshot may not even stop them. Buckshot will. Also remember that ever time you pull the trigger, you own the bullet, for better or for worse. Use the ammo that is appropriate for both stopping the threat and minimizing the danger to any neighbors should a round miss the threat.
    +1, good info
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member
    Sig, can I or do I even wanna know why you brought up dogs "makin' it" on my front porch? Still dumbfounded by that one. haha
    Did you just say that because my dog got all upset?
    Just an ice breaker kid. Maybe it was a couple of hungrey bears. Maybe it was a couple girls.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

well i hope the girls are safe from the bears.

Man, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week, if that happened to me.

I didn't notice in your OP, but when you went to the door, with your .357, did you ascertain any cover to use in case they made entry? Just wondering, but it could have very easily been that the BGs were armed, too, and decided to take their chances against you... Food for thought.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links