Just had a MAJOR incident

This is a discussion on Just had a MAJOR incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Agreed with Biker's post even as it might seem to be counter-intuitive. As very many people under same circumstance unwisely think to react by exiting ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Just had a MAJOR incident

Agreed with Biker's post even as it might seem to be counter-intuitive.
    As very many people under same circumstance unwisely think to react by exiting (!) their home to engage the one trespasser they can see only to wind up confronted by multiples and/or walking into a death trap be they armed or very often under armed.

Also agreed with others in this thread; Broken under the circumstances as you report them...You did a fine enough job of protecting yourself (#1 primary!) as well as your human being house guest/friend/roommate (#2 secondary) along with defending your insured and much more easily repaired if not replaced property as house and dog (#3 tertiary).

Would I myself under same circumstance have thought to do a few things differently? Yes.
    I would not have entered the fatal funnel of your entry way as you describe.
    With known threats on the other side of a not at all bullet resistant exterior door, my thoughts would have been akin to Biker to seek either hard cover and/or lie in wait within concealment for the entry to be made....And from there unleash the hound AND drop the hammer, literally.
    We have had at this site multiple news accounts of persons both BG and GG being shot through residential doors during attempted home invasions. When you replace your door take it to a range and shoot it a few times, with a man sized target placed behind it at say 5 yards. You will be left unsettled.

As to your comment of not being able to afford a shotgun...Just yesterday n the longgun sub-area there was a thread posting about a deal on a shotgun by NEF model name 'Pardner' pump action that is available for less than $200., and it is regarded well by owners here as also within that same thread.
    For HD all you need is a gun that will go bang reliably. Brand and whether it's pretty or not with whiz bang gadgetry is not going to more impress a threat than one that you picked up on discount from the pawn shop for $100. The key is reliability. After that all else falls to the way side.
    Invest in insurance for yourself and well being.
    $0.02 Street

Oh and as to others calling BS and give you a hard time; Boo.
    Even if you doubt the conditions and seek to poke holes , at the end of the day the story as told still does offer opportunity to learn lessons from as by proxy (real or virtual) which adds to the survival mindset for us all.
    Had this post not occurred then BikerRN may likely have not had thought nor reason to state the IMHO very good advisory piece that he'd posted.

We all benefit from persons providing their own tales be they seemingly short or tall.
    To disparage a person in doing so and not give them cordial respect as well as benefit of a doubt does actively discourage not just that individual but the many others watching & reading (including unnamed lurkers!) to themselves toward their own incidents of the future think twice toward not sharing what they might experience.
    I fell victim to this same mistreatment myself last year when I posted my own event last year...Which turned out thankfully to not be an intrusion as I had initially suspected. As a result I am now disinclined to do same again thanks to attacks toward my veracity by morons and jerks. And I was being serious not at all joking nor making stuff up, like I have time never mind need for such stupid.

Those of you giving this guy grief please think about how things appear not just of his story but of how you yourselves appear to others of us that along with the OPs story are watching and reading your own posts and actions.
    And we wonder why when items of crime are posted in the media and the GG happens to take up arms to defend him/herself the worlds fence riders and anti-gun/defense people will swoop in like so many crows to peck at the story from every angle with hope & intent to disassemble it and leave nothing behind but fecal matter....After which they'll then remark I told ya it was nothing but scat. Latest example see the granny in Illinois who shot a 12 yr. old threat throwing bricks.

When your user ID states "Member" and/or "Site Supporter" it is expected that one might remember this and it's meaning.
    Last thing we as a fraternity need are more folks to tear us down, as from within.

A little common courtesy and cordial respect (you do not have to like a person nor agree with them to be respectful) will go much further than derisive combative not all that much helpful nor educative attitude.
    Just sayin'...

- Janq

"I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness." - John Goodman as 'Gale Snoats', Raising Arizona
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Okay, so I live out in the country in a nice house, I just moved in here. I was told there was an incident like this before by the guy and long time friend I live with. - So - I'm laying in bed and my dog starts doing this unusual whine sound at my bedroom door. So, startled awake I flip my lights on and let him out. He right away starts scoping out all the windows in this very odd nervous behavior (which later on I would determine was someone looking in at me). That waved all sorts of red flags in my head so I go upstairs to my room, grab my GP-100 4" that has been my nightstand ever since i got my Sig 220 that I *ahem* seem to be having difficulties with and never would I wanna say i doubt my Sig's reliability but, its not the one I trusted with my life here as of lately. Anyways...on my way down stairs...
    WHAM WHAM WHAM, someones foot coming down on my front door.
    And I went Code Red.
    With my pistol raised as I came through the well-lit hallway which you can clearly see the two thugs at the front door looking in at me coming down the hallway with a big revolver.
    They yelled OH SNAP (except not SNAP and i got in trouble long ago for trying to work my way around a cuss word so instead of saying the S word they used, I'm saying they said "OH SNAP".)
    - 2 officers just came and helped me clear my property, set of tire marks not matching mine bugging out, and ruining my grass dang it.
    So did I over react drawing my weapon as I approached the threat trying to do a B&E right in front of me? Finger wasnt ready until I was ready to take a life.
    I'm confused...so help me understand the time-line of your story. I'm not refuting your story, just trying to understand the chain of events.

1. You state you are in bed (downstairs, because you later tell us you go upstairs) and your dog starts whining at the bedroom door.
    2. You get up and let him out, but he looks out the windows, is he looking out the 2nd story windows?
    4. Someone is looking at you, (is this throught the same 2nd floor window?)
    5. Red flag goes off and you go upstairs, (I thought you were already upstairs in bed) to get a gun from your nightstand, (which is usually in your bedroom), but you said you're downstairs laying in bed?
    6. Then you come downstairs with the gun to confront the bad guy.

Anyone else having a hard time grasping all this???
    Proud NRA member

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Man, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week, if that happened to me.

I didn't notice in your OP, but when you went to the door, with your .357, did you ascertain any cover to use in case they made entry? Just wondering, but it could have very easily been that the BGs were armed, too, and decided to take their chances against you... Food for thought.
    looking over this post, ive come to a conclusion that i was under ZERO cover at the time. Will probably take cover next time, someone also commented earlier on turning off the light in the hallway I was in. I could see BG's and BG's could see me and I had no cover what-so-ever.
    thanks zacii for bringing this to my attention!
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I'm confused...so help me understand the time-line of your story. I'm not refuting your story, just trying to understand the chain of events.

1. You state you are in bed (downstairs, because you later tell us you go upstairs) and your dog starts whining at the bedroom door.
    2. You get up and let him out, but he looks out the windows, is he looking out the 2nd story windows?
    4. Someone is looking at you, (is this throught the same 2nd floor window?)
    5. Red flag goes off and you go upstairs, (I thought you were already upstairs in bed) to get a gun from your nightstand, (which is usually in your bedroom), but you said you're downstairs laying in bed?
    6. Then you come downstairs with the gun to confront the bad guy.

Anyone else having a hard time grasping all this???
    I was in bed upstairs, let dog out, dog ran downstairs, acted up about windows, I went upstairs to retrieve firearm, on the way BACK downstairs I heard the shoes against my door. I assume it was shoes.

Orange you even underlined in your quoted post when I was up and down stairs. so... what?

hmm im guessing your confused about my starting point, did I not post that I sleep upstairs in my OP?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I was in bed upstairs, let dog out, dog ran downstairs, acted up about windows, I went upstairs to retrieve firearm, on the way BACK downstairs I heard the shoes against my door. I assume it was shoes.
    OK...so you went downstairs 1st without your gun and then went back up for it when you realized someone was outside the door? Got it...
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    OK...so you went downstairs 1st without your gun and then went back up for it when you realized someone was outside the door? Got it...
    again, adding things up that I need to do differently next time(and thank you). I have also heard of people having pre-typed scripts to read to 911. anyone do this? I didnt...
    also- my dog and roomies dog (same litter) freak out about outside noises all the time. While I dont live in city-scape, there is a road which is busy especially with students in town. Sometimes people simpy turn around in the driveway and the dogs get into a full uproar. So, thinking this on the way out of my bedroom, i didnt grab the magnum.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    The only comment I would like to make is about the weapon itself. Although the GP-100 is an great weapon and the .357 Mag is a proven chose for personnel protection, I don't believe 6 rounds of any type of ammo is enough when defending ones home. I say this because unlike when one is concealed carrying, they will have extra ammo readily available to reload the weapon in the event you need to. Most of the time when a incident like this occurs its going to happen in the middle of the night just like this one, and you are not going to have reloads packed into your tighty whiteys in the event you get into a shoot out. As Broken described, he had 2 guys trying to kick down his door which is bad enough. There could have been another guy or two that he couldn't see that were out there as well. I have read more and more articles where home invasions have included more than 1 or 2 bad guys. Under the stress if one has to shoot I don't see the average person being able to place all their fired rounds into the targets and with multiple targets, 6 rounds is going to go fast. I personally chose a Glock 23 with the Glock 22 mag and the plus 2 floor plate so I will bring 18 rounds of 180 grain hollow points to the fight.

As for the rest of it great job you did what needed to be done, and you gave them poor $#%$^% something to think about the next time they try and kick someones door down.

And it wasnt that someone was outside the door until i was on my way back down stairs, someone watching me go back upstairs through a window maybe? Thought the coast was clear?

yeah. I WANT a shotgun, cant AFFORD one right now. trust me, i want want want one.
    traded my last moss 500 12ga for a M&Pc .40 = me regretting my decision. (do not even have M&Pc anymore)
    Broken,

While I favor the longarm from a stationary position, it's not so much the tool as it is the person with the resolve that is behind the tool. Give me an old timer with a 38 Special six gun over some Tactical Johnny with the latest wizzbang toy that looks cool. Suboptimal tools can be overcome by tactics and determination.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Oh and as to others calling BS and give you a hard time; Boo.
    Even if you doubt the conditions and seek to poke holes , at the end of the day the story as told still does offer opportunity to learn lessons from as by proxy (real or virtual) which adds to the survival mindset for us all.
    Had this post not occurred then BikerRN may likely have not had thought nor reason to state the IMHO very good advisory piece that he'd posted.

We all benefit from persons providing their own tales be they seemingly short or tall.
    To disparage a person in doing so and not give them cordial respect as well as benefit of a doubt does actively discourage not just that individual but the many others watching & reading (including unnamed lurkers!) to themselves toward their own incidents of the future think twice toward not sharing what they might experience.
    I fell victim to this same mistreatment myself last year when I posted my own event last year...Which turned out thankfully to not be an intrusion as I had initially suspected. As a result I am now disinclined to do same again thanks to attacks toward my veracity by morons and jerks. And I was being serious not at all joking nor making stuff up, like I have time never mind need for such stupid.

Those of you giving this guy grief please think about how things appear not just of his story but of how you yourselves appear to others of us that along with the OPs story are watching and reading your own posts and actions.

- Janq
    Very well said Janq!! I couln't agree more.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm just a little surprised that OP felt the need to sit down and start this thread while waiting for the police to arrive. That would not have been my priority. Obsession to be online?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm just a little surprised that OP felt the need to sit down and start this thread while waiting for the police to arrive. That would not have been my priority. Obsession to be online?
    had I been laying there bleeding and dieing I still wouldve jumped online to wish you all well. So yes, a little unhealthy at times but i think i have it under control.

Broken, glad your alive. i hope everything goes well. good job on your dog!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links