Just had a MAJOR incident

This is a discussion on Just had a MAJOR incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet I'm just a little surprised that OP felt the need to sit down and start this thread while waiting for the ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Just had a MAJOR incident

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm just a little surprised that OP felt the need to sit down and start this thread while waiting for the police to arrive. That would not have been my priority. Obsession to be online?
    In another thread of not too long ago (early summer IIRC) a poster stated that just after an incident that had happened to him his first and strong inclination was to IIRC drive to some store to get ice cream.
    This was stated in a third persons thread as a reflection on the some times odd ways that the human brain reacts to post traumatic items.

Many people these days use Twitter and/or blog about their experiences in near real time.
    Per his own account first person one of the two guys that had been trapped last month in the Discovery Channel building with a crazy bomber stated that his own first thoughts were to send e-mail via his 'Crackberry' to his boss to let him know he would be delayed in getting to his office as he was being help captive in the immediate spread eagle on the floor.

People do things under stress, and they don't always make sense to the rest of us (or even the individual) when not under same stress.
    Give him a break. He didn't go hide in his dogs cage or decide to climb upon his roof and howl at the moon.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

+1
    In addition I don't see it as unusual for someone immediately after a harrowing incident to seek contact with friends for support and reassurance.

Broken? you did FINE!......Forget all the small stuff, as everybody has their own opinions, good, bad, or indifferent.
    NOW, you're light on cash? Take that Sig you have, trade it towards a good USED Benelli Nova, or super Nova pistol grip stock Pump 12 ga with gohst ring sights. You can find a great used Rem 870 or Mossberg 500, 535 or similar for short money too.
    LATER, when you have more cash, go find yourself another Sig, or 1911, Glock etc, that works well. I'm glad you had that Ruger GP (they're built like a tank) AND your DOG to defend yourself. Learn for the encounter.
    Personally, after the pics you sent me regarding the p220, I think you're going to need the SLIDE STOP/ catch replaced, but before I did that, I'd try a few other P220 mags at my local gun shop, as I 'm thinking you might have defective mags too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm just a little surprised that OP felt the need to sit down and start this thread while waiting for the police to arrive. That would not have been my priority. Obsession to be online?
    Frankly, I found that a bit interesting as well. Intuitively, I would be scanning the area and waiting for my heart rate to settle down while collecting my thoughts before the LEO’s arrive.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    So did I over react drawing my weapon as I approached the threat trying to do a B&E right in front of me? Finger wasnt ready until I was ready to take a life.
    Definitely not over reaction, you have no idea what their intentions were had they gained entry into your household. It could have been a simple B&E or they could have decided they didn't want to leave any witnesses, you did good. Glad you are okay, good luck getting some sleep and I would think about getting a HD shotgun or AR or something bigger especially if you live out in the country isolated.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Broken? you did FINE!......Forget all the small stuff, as everybody has their own opinions, good, bad, or indifferent.
    NOW, you're light on cash? Take that Sig you have, trade it towards a good USED Benelli Nova, or super Nova pistol grip stock Pump 12 ga with gohst ring sights. You can find a great used Rem 870 or Mossberg 500, 535 or similar for short money too.
    LATER, when you have more cash, go find yourself another Sig, or 1911, Glock etc, that works well. I'm glad you had that Ruger GP (they're built like a tank) AND your DOG to defend yourself. Learn for the encounter.
    Personally, after the pics you sent me regarding the p220, I think you're going to need the SLIDE STOP/ catch replaced, but before I did that, I'd try a few other P220 mags at my local gun shop, as I 'm thinking you might have defective mags too.
    hey good buddy- glad to hear from you. Was going to email you tomorrow if i didnt hear back from you. Are you up to date on this whole thing now. Also, slide/stop you said should be easy to replace. Let me know if you need me to grab my buddys camera again if you need a close up on my slide stop to tell if and where its bent. Jeez, its so hearbreaking to hear you tell me to turn in my Sig... even if she is being a bit slow...
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Frankly, I found that a bit interesting as well. Intuitively, I would be scanning the area and waiting for my heart rate to settle down while collecting my thoughts before the LEO’s arrive.
    Love your signature, just finished Under The Dome today. woooo for killing a book with 1072 pages!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Definitely not over reaction, you have no idea what their intentions were had they gained entry into your household. It could have been a simple B&E or they could have decided they didn't want to leave any witnesses, you did good. Glad you are okay, good luck getting some sleep and I would think about getting a HD shotgun or AR or something bigger especially if you live out in the country isolated.
    okay TECHNICALLY i live in city limits, I live on what used to be a highway back in the day and it leads out to some nice lakes, so dont get this picture of cornfields all around me, but dont get the picture that the houses are stacked so close to each other your standing in someone elses yard to clean your windows. we have 2 acres of land, and live at the top of a demon hill from hell that people often times wreck and several fatalities a year.

Still not right in the city! lol, well anyway glad all is well man!

Well, just saw this thread .... and only read 1/2 of the posts ..... with the recommendations and I would have had this or that.

What you had, works fine. Only one comment there.... 6 rounds, 2 BG's, make them count if you have to use it, or be good with a speedloader and have a minimum of 2 speedloaders.

You just woke up to "why" you have the gun, and what it's really for if you ever have to use it, and the consequences about that. Better them, than you in the autopsy room. They should have known you were there by the cars, etc.... and didn't care... I'm not taking it they had good intentions at all. I doubt they will be back at all ... but if they do, they'll be armed..... keep one eye open, add a very LOUD alarm that would wake up the dead.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I recommend you get some actual training on the employment of your firearm....and home defense.

You didn't do anything wrong, there are just things you could have done better. In the end, there were not any holes in you...

I'd stop sweating...and get your door fixed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I recommend you get some actual training on the employment of your firearm....and home defense.

You didn't do anything wrong, there are just things you could have done better. In the end, there were not any holes in you...

I'd stop sweating...and get your door fixed.
    yeah, I think the first thing i will do different next time is not running down a lit hallway with a firearm outstreched, zachii pointed out how i had absolutly no cover in a hallway and another pointed out that I had the lights on and didnt have any outside lights on so, they could probably see the little dinosaurs on my PJ's if they wanted too haha.
    oh yeah the door is already fixed, my landlord (roommates parents) are insurance agents so, they claimed it and bought a nice new one. just like the greenhouse that blew over in a windstorm last year. claimed it. new one. Funny how the world works isnt it?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not walking down a hallway all lit up like a target for the perps,I will take up a defensive position around the corner to my bedroom,once they breach the door they get a load of 00 buck,and I will repeat as necessary until the threat is over
    this...my first impression is that you completely exposed yourself to the people trying to break your door down...if they were holding guns you could very well have become swiss cheese at that point...it worked for you but very easily could have gone the other way...you put yourself in a funnel of death in an attempt to protect yourself...

glad it went the right way for you...

Broken,

Here are two links to inform and educate on what a "Fatal Funnel" is and how such a concept works (badly!), whihc is not BTW just toward doors but corridors and choke points in general.
    Be aware. Be wary....And as suggested by others do invest in yourself and get some professional training too, as you can afford it.

'Tactical Preschool #8' ~ The Fatal Funnel
    http://tgace.wordpress.com/2009/08/2...l-preschool-8/

'Avoiding the "Fatal Funnel" ' - Gunsite circa late 80s to early 90s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jjB1jBQ3jY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_quarters_combat
    "The "fatal funnel" is the dangerous area where the assaulter is silhouetted against his own entry point from the perspective of defenders inside the room."

'Replace Battle Drill 6' by CPT Drew R. Meyerowich
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...0_btldrill.htm

As a side note if you happen to have a friend or two you can practice how this works using water pistols (not super soakers) or if you happen to be into the sport of paintball this manner is _very_ commonly used to negate an opposing player as within _tournament_ level (not running around random in the woods novice recreational play) competition.

Once you experience a fatal funnel situation first hand, as from both sides of a view, you then will better understand and literally see how much suck this can be and why folk advise to be aware of such places/events and to avoid them if at all possible.

BTW you can in some cases modify such a fatal funnel purely by manipulating the degree of light visible or not visible, as to your attackers perception.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    In another thread of not too long ago (early summer IIRC) a poster stated that just after an incident that had happened to him his first and strong inclination was to IIRC drive to some store to get ice cream.
    This was stated in a third persons thread as a reflection on the some times odd ways that the human brain reacts to post traumatic items.

Many people these days use Twitter and/or blog about their experiences in near real time.
    Per his own account first person one of the two guys that had been trapped last month in the Discovery Channel building with a crazy bomber stated that his own first thoughts were to send e-mail via his 'Crackberry' to his boss to let him know he would be delayed in getting to his office as he was being help captive in the immediate spread eagle on the floor.

People do things under stress, and they don't always make sense to the rest of us (or even the individual) when not under same stress.
    Give him a break. He didn't go hide in his dogs cage or decide to climb upon his roof and howl at the moon.

- Janq
    When I broke my arm falling down a hill rollerblading...when I was finally able to roll and reach my phone I did not dial 911...I dialed my classmate to tell him to tell the professor I am missing the exam.

When I was held at gunpoint in subway after the robber left and before giving a statement I ate two foot longs.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links