Just had a MAJOR incident - Page 9

Just had a MAJOR incident

This is a discussion on Just had a MAJOR incident within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Similarly CTS for me following items of high stress/adrenalin dump such as car accidents, street and bar fights (in my pre-enlightened rmuch more reckless youth), ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Just had a MAJOR incident

Similarly CTS for me following items of high stress/adrenalin dump such as car accidents, street and bar fights (in my pre-enlightened rmuch more reckless youth), and once being chased on foot through the streets by a large group of skinheads (stand and fight was NOT an option)...
    It never fails that after all is done my mental state _races_ to the point that I will to others perception seem to be talking very fast. As well always my libido immediately after 'surviving' will sky rocket to the moon.
    It's happened so often that I now know to expect it.

While other people will fall uncontrollably into a crying jag or spontaneously have strong desire/need to empty their gut and bowels.

The human brain. It does what it thinks.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Similarly CTS for me following items of high stress/adrenalin dump such as car accidents, street and bar fights (in my pre-enlightened rmuch more reckless youth), and once being chased on foot through the streets by a large group of skinheads (stand and fight was NOT an option)...
    It never fails that after all is done my mental state _races_ to the point that I will to others perception seem to be talking very fast. As well always my libido immediately after 'surviving' will sky rocket to the moon.
    It's happened so often that I now know to expect it.

While other people will fall uncontrollably into a crying jag or spontaneously have strong desire/need to empty their gut and bowels.

The human brain. It does what it thinks.

- Janq
    I ran from two skinheads in Ohio in 2007...it was good exercise for the heart
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

As always, great info Janq; with the links to back it up.

I've done a little formal training, just enough to get my feet wet with the fatal funnel. The problem is that nearly every house in the world is designed with a maze of funnels. Houses are death traps.

For instance... the bedrooms in my house are at the end of a long hall. The hall is a funnel, each door into each room is a funnel. I would have to navigate 3 fatal funnels just to get to my kids.

Stairs are the worst kind of funnels. They are 3 dimensional; add to that any landings and/or curves, etc. and you've got a real problem.

The best way to handle a fatal funnel is to avoid them completely, if possible. IMHO.

Now, if one had no reason to leave their position, the funnels will potentially lead the BG to you; through the funnel and into the 12 gauge welcoming committee.

These tactics and scenarios need to be played out before a MAJOR incident occurs. Giving you, the defender, the ability to get in control of the invader's decision cycle, and putting you in excellent position to carry on as BikeRN suggested.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

gtv
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    As to your comment of not being able to afford a shotgun...Just yesterday n the longgun sub-area there was a thread posting about a deal on a shotgun by NEF model name 'Pardner' pump action that is available for less than $200., and it is regarded well by owners here as also within that same thread.
    +1 on the Pardner Pump Protector. It is a well-built gun, and inexpensive, as well. Our Dick's Sporting Goods usually has them for anywhere from $189 - $220, depending on if you can find them on sale, etc.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Turn the odds in your favor and let the badguy or gal come into the "fatal funnel", as you lie in wait behind cover.

This is why I like to let that "bump in the night" come to me, instead of me going to it.

Biker

Beware they could come back when you're not home, looking to steal your firearms. Hopefully they are well secured.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Blast them thru the door? My neighbor would have been really upset with that the night he was beating on my door in need of help. A BG on the other side of my front door isn't a threat worth shooting . . . yet.
    FWIW, my intention, and my instructions to my wife, are not to shoot until you see cracks in the door/casing. If they are knocking and banging, my door will hold till the LEO's arrive. If they are actively trying to breach my door, the state of NC says I do not have to let them in my house to act. I can shoot to PREVENT entry according to NC law. If I feel like I can get to the door and look through the peep or another window, then I will. I will also likely warn them of what I am getting ready to do. Then let them decide if it's worth it, or they can ID themselves. While it may not the the first option, or always be the best option, it's a nice option to have. In my opinion, much better than being required by law to let a BG into my house before action. YMMV.

Broken, you'll have to check the laws in your state. Might be under Castle Doctrine.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

RE the shooting through the door thing. IMO unless you live in the middle of nowhere, this is a very very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    RE the shooting through the door thing. IMO unless you live in the middle of nowhere, this is a very very bad idea.
    Also violates one of the primary rules of safe gun handling. Know your target!

Quote Originally Posted by PcMakr View Post
    Also violates one of the primary rules of safe gun handling. Know your target!
    So does shooting someone. But wait, it's a defensive situation you say. That's the point. YMMV

When it's my rear on the line, let's just say the rules loosen up a bit for a few seconds. If they don't, I may not have to worry about the rules any more. Cause the BG that hopefully is taking the brunt of the violence could care less about rules.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You are still alive. Nuff said and glad for it.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links