people outside of my window at 12:30 at night

people outside of my window at 12:30 at night

This is a discussion on people outside of my window at 12:30 at night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I placed my handgun in the safe about an hour or so before getting ready for bed. I turned off all the lights in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry people outside of my window at 12:30 at night

I placed my handgun in the safe about an hour or so before getting ready for bed. I turned off all the lights in the house, checked the doors and went to bed. So, I was reading the bible as I often do before I go to bed. I was beginning to fall asleep while trying to finish a chapter in acts. I was startled when I heard a persons voice outside of my window. I quickly placed my book on the floor. I looked out and saw a dark skinned person and I heard him say something like "come on man". So, I rushed to where my wife was sleeping and woke her and opened my gun safe and grabbed my .45. I peeked outside and didn't see anyone , so I had my wife to call the police while I looked around our property. My neighbor heard the guys also, he jumped in his car and rode around the neighborhood. My neighbor says he spotted two guys on the street behind my house in a white car parked on a vacant lot. They took off when they saw him.

I learned some valuable lessons tonight...one: a flashlight is a must have on your night stand. I just happened to be holding mine while reading, and I think I may have flashed the light on the window near where they were standing. I think this may have spooked them. which leads to lesson learned number 2: a gun in a safe in a different room is almost useless. things happen very quickly!

Cops showed up very quickly after being called. I was still carrying my xd in a holster. I informed them I was armed The officer was 100% professional and did not freak out over an armed civilian. In fact, as he was leaving to search for the guys, he basically said chances are they will not be able to do much other than talk to them and make sure that they know they risk losing their life if they try this sort of stunt again. He then went over the law regarding the use of lethal force.

This all happened about an hour ago..this kind of stuff does not help my insomnia at all!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Sounds like no harm done and you picked up some valuable points.
    If I were to hear someone talking outside my window, the only communication/interaction I would have with them would be the slide on my 870 racking.

My first thought was "my gun is locked up in another room..." Another lesson learned, my mossberg 500a is to difficult to get out of the safe. I need a shorter barrel!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Free lessons are often few and far between.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    My first thought was "my gun is locked up in another room..." Another lesson learned, my mossberg 500a is to difficult to get out of the safe. I need a shorter barrel!
    Holy Mos, so you were writing this while your wife was calling the cops? All this happened in 7 minutes?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Looks like he typed this an hour and 7 minutes later. Good and valuable lessons learned. Home invasions are too common anymore, and they rarely leave you time to go get your weapon. I keep a handgun with me at home, in my yard, in the house and a Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga (18.5" barrel) readily accessible in the bedroom anytime we are home. For HD, my handgun is simply a means to get me to my shotgun. Glad everything turned out fine and that the police were helpful and supportive. Stay armed and stay safe....even in your own home.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Looks like he typed this an hour and 7 minutes later. Good and valuable lessons learned. Home invasions are too common anymore, and they rarely leave you time to go get your weapon. I keep a handgun with me at home, in my yard, in the house and a Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga (18.5" barrel) readily accessible in the bedroom anytime we are home. For HD, my handgun is simply a means to get me to my shotgun. Glad everything turned out fine and that the police were helpful and supportive. Stay armed and stay safe....even in your own home.
    I think the time displayed is related to what time zone you have set. You are on EDT I am on CDT. Your post reads 4:33 here but probably says 5:33 on your computer. He is also EDT so that would add an hour.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Glad you and the family remained safe. Sounds like sensible cops. Keep the gun and flashlight on the nightstand (if you can).

Stay armed...stuff always happens when you least expect it...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    I placed my handgun in the safe about an hour or so before getting ready for bed. I turned off all the lights in the house, checked the doors and went to bed. So, I was reading the bible as I often do before I go to bed. I was beginning to fall asleep while trying to finish a chapter in acts. I was startled when I heard a persons voice outside of my window. I quickly placed my book on the floor. I looked out and saw a dark skinned person and I heard him say something like "come on man". So, I rushed to where my wife was sleeping and woke her and opened my gun safe and grabbed my .45. I peeked outside and didn't see anyone , so I had my wife to call the police while I looked around our property. My neighbor heard the guys also, he jumped in his car and rode around the neighborhood. My neighbor says he spotted two guys on the street behind my house in a white car parked on a vacant lot. They took off when they saw him.

I learned some valuable lessons tonight...one: a flashlight is a must have on your night stand. I just happened to be holding mine while reading, and I think I may have flashed the light on the window near where they were standing. I think this may have spooked them. which leads to lesson learned number 2: a gun in a safe in a different room is almost useless. things happen very quickly!

Cops showed up very quickly after being called. I was still carrying my xd in a holster. I informed them I was armed The officer was 100% professional and did not freak out over an armed civilian. In fact, as he was leaving to search for the guys, he basically said chances are they will not be able to do much other than talk to them and make sure that they know they risk losing their life if they try this sort of stunt again. He then went over the law regarding the use of lethal force.

This all happened about an hour ago..this kind of stuff does not help my insomnia at all!
    On some local Auto zone stores they have this 9 led small flashlights, they are metallic, water prof and small, yesterday they'r selling them for 2x$5.00

Every time I see them I buy 3 or 4, leave them laying around the house on top of every table etc. They preform really well too, Motion sensitive flood lights are also very affordable and they'll discourage intruders.

Another thing, the gun in the safe is no good, if you're afraid to leave the gun loaded for the kids sake( you never know) leave the pistol unloaded next to you on the carpet, out of sight, them place the magazine under mattress, at hands reach. It takes a couple of seconds to get it ready. Just a thought
    Go with the glow

I must get a HD shotty.

I keep a loaded pistol and flashlight in my night stand and one each in my wife's, no children at home.

Glad you're okay... hope they pick another neighborhood next time.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

No children in ours either...so the G23 with a mounted Surefire x200 sits on the nightstand. Plus a Surefire E1L .
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    "so I had my wife to call the police while I looked around our property."

Glad that it all worked out OK but, resist the temptation to go out and look over your property. That would be even if you've already called the Police.

If your property is damaged or something is stolen - your property will still be damaged in the morning and whatever was stolen will still be gone.

#1 - You don't want to risk getting misidentified as a bad guy by the Police.

#2 - Why leave a comparatively secure area behind locked doors that you are equipped to defend in order to place yourself out in the open and in greatly increased danger with a possible unknown threat lurking outside when you cannot even be certain if there are more than two people out there that shouldn't be there? (we know there were at least two because you heard somebody talking to somebody else)

Should you get attacked and/or ambushed/killed/rendered unconscious outdoors - then the bad guys now have at least one firearm (your firearm) and your spouse is left alone inside without one.

Stay indoors where you pretty much have all of the real world advantages for personal & family defense.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "so I had my wife to call the police while I looked around our property."

Glad that it all worked out OK but, resist the temptation to go out and look over your property. That would be even if you've already called the Police.

If your property is damaged or something is stolen - your property will still be damaged in the morning and whatever was stolen will still be gone.

#1 - You don't want to risk getting misidentified as a bad guy by the Police.

#2 - Why leave a comparatively secure area behind locked doors that you are equipped to defend in order to place yourself out in the open and in greatly increased danger with a possible unknown threat lurking outside when you cannot even be certain if there are more than two people out there that shouldn't be there? (we know there were at least two because you heard somebody talking to somebody else)

Should you get attacked and/or ambushed/killed/rendered unconscious outdoors - then the bad guys now have at least one firearm (your firearm) and your spouse is left alone inside without one.

Stay indoors where you pretty much have all of the real world advantages for personal & family defense.
    I agree 100%....the thought of staying in the house never crossed my mind. I let anger override logic. Thanks for the advice!

+1 QKShooter

I have one of these within arms reach of my bed:

Inside are a fully loaded 1911 and G23. On the night stand are my Surefire and Streamlight flashlights, and extra mags.

I gather from your post, that you were reading in a separate room from your bedroom? And your pistol was not on your person?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I keep three things in my nightstand by my bed at night. My my Glock 22, my surefire light, and my cell phone. I never go to bed without them. A gun in the safe in the other room is unacceptable in my book. And if I lived in a two story house I would also have a fourth item. A set of house keys on a big gaudy key ring to throw out on the front lawn to the police to get in after I call them.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links