Side door alarm sounded at 5:50 am this morning, contacted 911

This is a discussion on Side door alarm sounded at 5:50 am this morning, contacted 911 within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At appx 5:50 am, I woke up startled to hear my kitchen door alarm sounding. I immediately jumped up, woke up my wife, obtained my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side door alarm sounded at 5:50 am this morning, contacted 911

At appx 5:50 am, I woke up startled to hear my kitchen door alarm sounding. I immediately jumped up, woke up my wife, obtained my Glock 30, flashlight, and provided cover for my wife as she went for my daughters room (she's 5 years old). There is only one hallway with access to our rooms (single story house). After securing my daughter, with my wife, cell phone and Springfield XD9mm in our master bathroom, my wife contacted 911 while I continued to maintain a position of concealment in our room. Our dogs are kenneled at night due to the frequency they wake my daughter during the night trying to get into her room to sleep. They barked during the incident, but were not out of the kennel to respond to the possible threat. My wife was on the phone with 911 within 1 minute of the alarm sounding.

20 minutes latter, the police show up, setting the alarm off again by "testing it out" from the outside...without contacting us to let us know they were at the house. We contacted 911 again to confirm the police were at our house, which they did confirm. I holstered my weapon once at the door and met with the officer. He said we had a "sensitive" alarm that easily sounded when he knocked on the door with his flashlight.

So, it was a non-incident, but our plan of action was pretty smooth I thought. I was horrified at the response time of the police. 20 minutes!? Seriously?

First, my wife says she heard a bang on the door that woke her as the alarm sounded. Second, we tested the alarm today and are confident in its function. The only way to make the alarm sound is to open the screen door and hit it with a decent force, and it sounds. Our cat was in our room sleeping so there was no way one of our animals caused it to sound.

So...that's my Sunday morning. Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Not much to comment on except that your alarm apparently does work...probably scared away a possible intruder. Has there been any other problems in you neighborhood?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

20 minutes is long but remember it's first come first served and they may have been running other calls when you called in. Sounds like you did just right. You were ready and held the fort till the cavalry got there. Good for you for not adding to the situation by going out after you got your family secure.

5:50am on a Sunday is an awfully slow time for call volume; while trouble does happen at any time, my thought is that they held the call until the 6am(?) roll call was completed. I'll leave the Dunkin Donuts scenario to someone else...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Priorities,you had an alarm going off,had the call been I got intruders in my house I just shot,they woulds got there in 19 minutes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post

20 minutes latter, the police show up, setting the alarm off again by "testing it out" from the outside...without contacting us to let us know they were at the house.
    The police may been there sooner than 20 minutes, but you didn't see them. I once had a neighbor come to my house to call 911 on a family member. The first I saw of the police was a LEO in my yard with a flashlight. I guess they were checking out the call without just walking up to the door.
    Other than that, sounds like things worked as designed.
    Yes, I believe someone tried your door.

GM
    "... 20 minutes latter, the police show up, setting the alarm off again by "testing it out" from the outside...without contacting us to let us know they were at the house ..."

I do not think it was very smart
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    "... 20 minutes latter, the police show up, setting the alarm off again by "testing it out" from the outside...without contacting us to let us know they were at the house ..."

I do not think it was very smart
    what would they do?...call?...and how would they know who is answering the phone?...if its a bad guy he could just say..."its ok...it was a false alarm. sorry."....it sounds like they knocked and the alarm went off again...i would say it would have been a smarter move to stay on on the line with 911 while waiting for the police...that way you are kept informed when they are enroute and arrival...

I'm glad to hear you got the family together in one defensible position. Someone (wife) should have stayed on the phone with 911 (I'm surprised that 911 didn't insist, ring back, etc.).

As to the 20 minute response time... there could have been another incident to which LEO's were responding... night shifts around here tend to be understaffed (at least compared to daylight hours, when LESS violent crime occurs). There was (a long time ago), a running joke in our nearby metro area.... "If you've got an intruder, call the cops and tell them you got a drunk urinating on the street corner, they'll get there quicker!"

Bottom line: "When seconds count, law enforement is only minutes away." Cops have no legal obligation to protect you from crime... only to investigate and prosecute after the fact.

I live in a rural area... cops and volunteer firefighters are always many minutes away. I prepare and react accordingly. My dogs are my perimeter alarms.

Someone may have tried your door. Dogs, or the alarm scared them off. Good.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Glad everyone is safe.

As to the response time, What he said ^^^. Can't blame the LEO's for the response time unless you have proof they were dunking donuts. I live in a rural area as well and even on slow nights it will take them a bit to get here.

As to the dog issue. Un-crate them. You CAN fix the dog digging and barking at the daughters door without boxing them up. All it takes is a bit of training. They'll be of better use if allowed to do their job. Even if all they can do is surround an intruder and bark and ankle bite(little rat dogs), that could provide you with that extra precious second or two that you might need.

Not everyone is going to run from the alarms or the dogs barking.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My little city just laid off 24 LEOs. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the few remaing on duty showed up in 20 minutes. A real sore point with me (the lay-offs). They have been very quick and professional on past calls. Needl;ess to say, I'm voting out every councilman I can
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

go with your gut, seems like u still second guess the cop's theory on the alarm.

maybe u should have a second alarm backing your doors. such as those door stopper alarms.

or maybe some kinda video camera out side the doors.

since the alarm went off, IF there was an intruder, i dont think he'd use that door again...

http://www.goplanetgo.com/sc_images/...arge_image.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I'll take away from the situation that I and my family were ready, and moved in a well coordinated effort and our plan worked well. I suppose there are any number of reasons the police took 20 minutes...and it just goes to show, when seconds count, the police are just minutes away. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I agree with the others that someone probably tried your door and got scared. 20 minutes for LEO sucks but at least they showed up and your family got to practice your plan. Sounds like it worked great with the exception of not staying on the phone with 911.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

20 minute response time; that's why we are armed
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links