NC Fair and Carry

NC Fair and Carry

This is a discussion on NC Fair and Carry within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys and gals. I thinking about traveling to the NC state fair, but know that the fair grounds are state property and carry inside ...

NC Fair and Carry

Hey guys and gals. I thinking about traveling to the NC state fair, but know that the fair grounds are state property and carry inside is a no,no. However, carry and securing weapon in vehicle is what I am thinking. So, Has anyone here attended fair this month and if so what about carry? Did you just "park and ride" (park car and take shuttle). What was your strategy. I definitely hate to ride as far as I will be going with family and no weapon.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I'd just unload it and lock it in my car safe once I got there and put the magazine in the glove box. Then you are not "carrying" in a public gathering or a place that charges admission, you are storing an unloaded weapon in a secured manner while travelling. The State Fair isn't necessarily State property, and not all State property is necessarily off limits to carry. It depends. The Handgunlaw link for NC would give you more detailed information. I'm from NC and visit often and try to stay up on their carry laws.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Most of the parking is across the street at NC State. Can't bring it there either.
    There is a good amount of parking on private property just outside the fair... We went Thursday paid $10 for parking.

We parked on private property 1 block away from Gate 6.

Although I don't think I am even going to the State Fair this year, does anyone already know how the new laws effect carrying at/near the fair? I'm not asking anyone to spend the time looking into it that I could, just wondering if anyone has already done this.

Thanks.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sheilded Holsters Double Phalanx

VIP Member
    I have not been to the fair but I do know that all gates are posted with gun buster signs. From attending other events at the fairgrounds the only time I have seen metal detectors are for the gun shows (duh). Since signs do carry the force of law I would park off-site and either walk if close enough or take one of the shuttles.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It is legal under state law to carry at the NC State Fair if you have a weapons license. 14.269.3 which talks about a person in control of property references 14.415.11(c), of which point #8 clearly states, "private premises".

This is state owned public property bought and paid for by the owners (taxpayers). How dare the Agriculture Dept infringe on your rights!

I hope y'all are actively doing something about this, such as contacting the Attorney General and your legislators. If they won't listen, then have a group show up peacefully openly carrying your pistols and record the event.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    MN State fair got nailed by a group of armed robbers last friday night. Got away w/ "10,000 or multiples". Thugs are putting 2 and 2 together and word will probably get around. There's a lot of cash at the fair. They targeted the beer vendor area. Tied up a couple employees. Be careful and aware as you can in the crowds.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    @Phil1979
    CSC has a similar thread going about Burlington doing the same thing. Costs bucks to fight it because they claim a different interpretation.

Links