13 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

This is a discussion on 13 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Decent article, most of it's common sense. Won't be any new info for most here, but definitely worth passing along to some friends and family ...

Thread: 13 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

13 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Decent article, most of it's common sense. Won't be any new info for most here, but definitely worth passing along to some friends and family for me. Enjoy

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspi...491.html#slide

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Number 13: I sleep with my TV on and it's easily seen from the street. I always felt this was a decent and easy way keep badguys away.

I don't have an alarm, but I have two huge dogs. I'm not going to sit here and say that they will keep burglars away for sure, but hopefully the bark will be enough to change their minds and switch to an easier target.

All I can say is, if somebody breaks in, I hope to god I'm home. I live with my parents and I'm irritated with my dad for not keeping his G19 loaded. He keeps it packed away inside his range bag with the loaded mag sitting beside it. I can reach four loaded weapons while laying in bed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't mind if potential burglers can see if my alarm is on or off . . . if I'm not home it's on!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post

All I can say is, if somebody breaks in, I hope to god I'm home. I live with my parents and I'm irritated with my dad for not keeping his G19 loaded. He keeps it packed away inside his range bag with the loaded mag sitting beside it. I can reach four loaded weapons while laying in bed.
    I hope your home too, because otherwise it sounds like there's 5 guns, ripe for the picking.

:)
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

RGC
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I hope your home too, because otherwise it sounds like there's 5 guns, ripe for the picking.

:)
    That may not always be true. I can reach 3 guns from my bed, but I carry two of them and lock the other one up in the safe when I leave the house.

Number 13: I sleep with my TV on and it's easily seen from the street. I always felt this was a decent and easy way keep badguys away.

I don't have an alarm, but I have two huge dogs. I'm not going to sit here and say that they will keep burglars away for sure, but hopefully the bark will be enough to change their minds and switch to an easier target.

I only have two guns in reach while in bed. I have to stand up to get the shotgun off the rack next to my bed. As you do, I also put the guns I don't carry in the safe when I leave the house.

The safe isn't bolted to the floor but I'm not too worried anyone will carry it off since it weighs 1,300 pounds.

I do worry about who might try to break in when we're gone. Our neighborhood has been free of break-in's so far. Maybe it's too many nosey neighbors...some are always around.
    My guns are in two heavy safes...if I'm home, your're not leaving vertically.OMOYMV...good luck!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tis true that burglars don't take the night off for bad weather - in fact, I think they like it. People are faaaaar less likely to be sittin on the porch havin a beer or smokin a cig if it's cool, damp and drizzly, therefore less people are gonna be around to see him sneaking around to the neighbor's back window.

Just my thoughts.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Not every burglar is an Einstein, but neither are they graduated from the Home Alone school of self-enrichment.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

When we are home, all doors are locked and the alarm is set for stay! Landscape lighting, motion lights 360 around house, safety film on windows. solid doors and locks plus a state of the art alarm system with cell back-up and video. Plus good neighbors.

I worked hard for what I have - I will not give it up easily - even to the government.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I dont get newspapers thrown on my porch,it doesnt snow much here,i dont have flowers or alot of windows,i dont let strange people in my house.I dont have an alarm either,but i guarantee you wont know about my cameras if you break in when im gone.If i am home,i have irrefutable proof that i was justified in sending you to lie down in the back of the big black caddy.

I have that EXACT SAME PROBLEM. He won't even chamber his carry gun. I have advised him many, many times to carry it loaded and not to carry if he's not gonna carry loaded.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Links