A poll; your HD weapon of choice

This is a discussion on A poll; your HD weapon of choice within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I only own a 1911, so that would be it for me, 8+1 in the pipe and an extra loaded magazine. I have a small ...

View Poll Results: What's your HD weapon of choice?

Voters
624. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handgun

329 52.72%
  • Shotgun

243 38.94%
  • Rifle/Carbine

41 6.57%
  • Other, RPG, Claymore, Phaser, etc

11 1.76%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A poll; your HD weapon of choice

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I only own a 1911, so that would be it for me, 8+1 in the pipe and an extra loaded magazine. I have a small house, under 1100sqft and I just have one hallway to defend.
    mragame likes this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

I'd be reaching for the M&P, plenty of FP if needed.
    accessbob likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

RKM
    I've always told myself... if I KNOW there is somebody in the house, I'm grabbing the 500. If I heard a odd noise, but just not sure what it may have been, I'm grabbing the Hk with the TLR-2. Of course this is what I say now. When it really goes down, I'll probably just grab whats available. 500 propped up against the night stand and the Hk is in the night stand.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 28th, 2010 at 02:06 AM.

RGC
    I'm slipping the 1911 in my pocket( yes I have pockets in my sleeping clothes) and grabbing the Mossberg 500 12G w/ laser and light as my first choice. If I can't stop it with those 2 I'm in a world of humdinger unpleasantries anyway.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 28th, 2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: removed language work around

Cool

G-21 and Sure Fire 6p........ That's if they get past the pitbull and dobie and the alarm system. I live in a residential community that is patroled by the local SO on a regular basis and though it is not out of the realm of possibility the chances of a home invasion or night time burglary are very low. I am comfortable with the dogs and the Glock for now.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

A handgun is always close. In every room. Most have lights attached and all have nights sights and a flash light. Heavy back-up is a shotgun and an AR on each end of the house.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I've got a Remington 870 with 00 buck ready to go. However, more than likely I'll grab my Sig P220 Super Match in .45
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

At the first sound of problems, my Glock-36 would be the first thing in my hand, but my coach gun is readily available.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Handgun now, but as soon as i put together my DDM4v3 and aimpoint with flashlight in the spring I'll be switching to it as my HD gun.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

My 870 Magnum would be the first thing I would go for. That still leaves the .45 and 9mm for my girlfriend to choose from.

Forgot to mention that its loaded with oo buck. I think 3" magnum slugs might be a bit of overkill in a home defense situation.
    Last edited by rammerjammer; October 27th, 2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: afterthought

Home defense weapon of CHOICE...I'm going 12 ga. If necessary, my handgun will get me to my shotgun while at home. Night time and I'm in the bed and have to defend with a pistol and 12 ga side-by-side....no doubt for me, the 12 ga. Call me old fashioned, but that's what Granny Clampett always went for. Good enough for Granny, good enough for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I voted handgun. My wife will be grabbing the shotgun.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It depends.

While I voted "Shotgun", I may opt to use something else given my perception of the situation at hand. The first one grabbed may very well be a handgun however. The shotgun has been seen as a "traditional" home defense weapon of choice, and does very well at some of the jobs in home defense, but like any platform has it's drawbacks.

I've cleared my backyard, with the local constabulary waiting as I did so, using a shotgun and a K9. I've investigated that "bump in the night" with a handgun, and had the wife hunker down with the carbine. Each weapon has it's place, and no one weapon will fill all roles. While it may have been better to have the wife hunker down with the shotgun, she is more willing to use the carbine, hence that's what she gets.

For repeling boarders, and keeping intruders out of the safe room, I opt for the shotgun. For other roles in home defense I will most likely opt for other choices. Maybe I should bring some "Flash Bang" grenades home from work.

Biker

VIP Member
    I voted shotgun, and included related story link below

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ice&highlight=
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

When i get home,i open my safe and get my Benelli M2 out.Springfield 1911TRP on the lampstand,but my loving 12 gauge,she will be first.Unless my house is being invaded by snakes,the Judge will stay under the bed.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links